Subject: Choosing games to be played by random? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
von gRaven
Germany
Lübeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just wonder if someone else had the strange idea to choose the games which should be played by random? (Somehow I feel like "yes" ). If yes, what is your way to do that? Do you categorize your games (like in warm up, main / long game, filler, end game) and pick then somehow?

Even though I am not owning much games and the collection of our gaming friends is also not thaaat big, there is clearly a trend to play the new games all the time. And it feels as if the frequency of new games gets higher... you know that It's not that the old ones are bad or boring or have been replaced, it is just that gaming time is limited and new things are always more interesting.

So I thought this could be a way to get older games played and maybe a little bit more interesting than just choosing one.

Man, sometimes I really wonder how nerdish you can get whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there mechanisms to mitigate the randomness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this all the time. In fact, I have a secondary BGG account solely to include only the "gamer's games" so that when I use random selection, the party and kids games do not show up.

Pete (loves playing board game roulette)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bolton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was running into this problem as well. Especially with the number of games I own growing. I did a little research and found a post. It had instructions and a program to create cards based on your collection. It takes your collection on boardgamegeek and generates PDF pages to cut out into a card deck. We use this deck to shuffle out various ways to decide what game to play.

here is the link https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28567/i-dont-know-what-d...

Awesome job to those who made this happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always wanted to build a matrix of boardgames similar to how The Game is played in the Piers Anthony Apprentice Adept books. If you're unfamiliar with these, check out the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apprentice_Adept

A relevant quote from that:
"The main pastime of Proton inhabitants is The Game. When two persons want to play a round, they proceed to a Game console. There, one player chooses one of four categories: 1. PHYSICAL, 2. MENTAL, 3. CHANCE, or 4. ARTS. The other player chooses among A. NAKED, B. TOOL, C. MACHINE, or D. ANIMAL. (In this context, naked does not necessarily mean unclothed but rather unassisted by external tools.) Once the grid is completed, players continue on subgrids until they select a particular game to play. For instance, in the books, Stile plays a Naked/Arts round in interpretive dance, while later on the same category produces extemporaneous poetry. Chance/Tool covers board and card games, among others. Most sports are under Physical, but so is Tiddlywinks. Due to the wide variety of contests available, any given round could take any one of thousands of forms.

In choosing categories for the Game and then particular contests once the main category is selected, the intelligent player uses his knowledge of his opponent, trying to play to the opponent's weaknesses and his own strengths. Of course, his ability to do so is limited because half the grid is in the opponent's hands."

I always thought this might be a cool thing to do with my game collection. Play a game that determines which game we are going to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that a random selection would more frequently lead to a no one is happy situation. While you and your friends might not want to assert your preference onto the group, you still have a preference. While the random draw can take a difficult decision out of your hands, it can also leave everyone unhappy about what you end up playing rather than having at least one person playing THE game they wanted to play each time and having that be a different person each session.

Depends on you and your group I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Everyone choose one game they'd like to play and put it on the table.

2. Host (or whoever brought the most snacks to share) gets to add an extra game.

3. Everyone remove one game they don't want to play.

4. The game that remains is the one that gets played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMK
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, The angels protect you, and heaven accept you.
badge
May your troubles be less, and your blessing be more. And nothing but happiness, come through your door.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an Excel spreadsheet with all of my games in it. My wife and I both rate each game on a scale from 1 to 10 and the game gets "shares" equal to the sum of our ratings.

The total shares are calculated and each game and are assigned a sequence of numbers equal to the shares. For example, the first alphabetical game would be given, say, numbers 1 through 10 if both my wife and I gave it a 5. The next game, if also given two 5's, would get numbers 11 to 20.

Finally, I use Excel to randomly generate a number between 1 and the number of shares each time we want to play a game.

This might seem like a lot of work, but once you get the formulas worked out in Excel, the logic updates itself once I enter in the rating from my wife and I. This method means that games we like more get played more often, but that there is still randomness and occasionally you still play an older, less loved, game.

For our larger game group (> 2 players) we have the policy that the person who came in last in the prior game chooses the new game. So we never have to randomly choose a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Noel
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
Last time that we could not decide what to play, we wrote the 5 games we wanted to play on pieces of paper, threw them on the ground and the first one the dog ate we played.

Work well but need dog!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Smygehamn
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should take a look at this site:

https://boardgamemenu.com/

It creates a meny for a defined number of players at random out of your boardgamegeek collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:

Major turn order advantage here. Later players have much more control. Revise with:

3. Everyone submits a "blind bid" for what game to not play. All game "bids" are removed form consideration. Repeat until only 1 game remains, or until only 1 gets the fewest number of votes.

Yes, that is not guaranteed to terminate. If players cannot successfully terminate (after, say, 3 rounds), try a different set of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my game collection my wife and I have about 35 games that we enjoy playing together. We have index cards written for each game and randomly choose one for the game we're going to play. Periodically, we go through the cards and remove a few and of course I'm always trying to add more. And there are the occasions when we don't feel like playing the game chosen and we choose another card or just name a game we'd like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, my thought process goes like this. First I analyze how many people are going to be playing, then I take into account how much time is available. Basically, the information that is usually on the sides of boxes. Next I take into account what type of gaming experience everyone has as a collective. I then select a handful of games that have passed the screening process thus far and then put the games up to vote.

I have found that selecting randomly does not work very well without some screening process done beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
How is this for nerdish: a while ago I wrote a little script that would take a player count and then pick a random game from a BGG collection that meets that count (along with the rest of the games at that count... I have a smallish collection). Theoretically it was a good idea, but it would often be met with "oh, not that one!" and I'd run it again... at least it moved the conversation forward.

Simple thing, really. If you want older games to get played, pick out one or two before game night and talk them up to the group beforehand and push for them when it's time to choose. I did this recently with some older games and they got played and people were happy they did. If one person is gung-ho about a certain game it can sway enough people. Be bold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a program that I can't remember what it's called that links your BGG account and you can "randomize" or something. This post sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
PlowStr8 wrote:

Major turn order advantage here. Later players have much more control. Revise with:

3. Everyone submits a "blind bid" for what game to not play. All game "bids" are removed form consideration. Repeat until only 1 game remains, or until only 1 gets the fewest number of votes.

Yes, that is not guaranteed to terminate. If players cannot successfully terminate (after, say, 3 rounds), try a different set of games.

Agreed - you have to vote simultaneously. I don't think you need to do blind bid though (assuming you mean that votes are submitted secretly). Just a Cash n Guns-like simultaneous pointing would work.

However, I prefer to have everyone simultaneously point to the 2 games they most want to play. Remove games with less than 2 votes, vote again, remove <3 votes, repeat.... until down to 2 games, then point to just 1 game. If the final vote is a tie, play the shorter one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
This works really well. My spreadsheet is no more

swedgamer wrote:
Maybe you should take a look at this site:

https://boardgamemenu.com/

It creates a meny for a defined number of players at random out of your boardgamegeek collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
von gRaven
Germany
Lübeck
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, thanks for sharing your ideas & links. The link which creates a suggestion based on your bgg collections is great!

In my gaming group everyone plays everything so that should not be a too big deal to chose something by random. However you are right it should not be done every time for every game.

Maybe we should just have a time slot for an older game which is chosen by random then. Kind of compromise

Thanks 2 all and happy gaming this Saturday. My plan is to pull out Carcassone again - it must have been years since the last play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
1. Everyone choose one game they'd like to play and put it on the table.

2. Host (or whoever brought the most snacks to share) gets to add an extra game.

4. The game that remains is the one that gets played.

In what order do you get to choose? More randomness? (dice roll). I would like to go first to guarantee a game I don't want to play is gone and increase the chances of one I might remaining.

This is probably a moot point anyway as regardless of how "democratically" a game is chosen, if it's crap (Machi Koro) I'm still going to pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
There's a program that I can't remember what it's called that links your BGG account and you can "randomize" or something. This post sucks.
WhatToPlay: A Downloadable Game Selection Tool

Pete (uses this a lot too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.