13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: A Legendary Box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Gaming
msg tools
A grand evening to you all,

I've got the Marvel Legendary Card game, and all the current expansion, but the amount of cards and space required is getting out of hand. I haven't even opened Civil War, for fear of messing up the current system

So, it's custom box time. I'm in the planning stages, going to make it from scratch a whole bespoke setup. Question is, has anyone attempted this yet? If so what pitfalls to you come across? What ideas weregood? If you could let me know, that we be Legen... great.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Suggestions? Tips?

Thanks, and happy gaming,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello new user! IF you haven't visited the images section of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, I would start there. A lot people post their creations there.

Another good place to look would be at some of the "Board Game Accessories" businesses that have popped up in the last few years. For example, this generic box insert may be what you are looking for.

https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/unsleeved-card-game-o...

Good hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acedaryl1 wrote:
For example, this generic box insert may be what you are looking for.

https://www.topshelfgamer.com/products/unsleeved-card-game-o...

It looks like this is from Broken Token, and just so you know, they also have an organizer specifically for Legendary.
http://www.thebrokentoken.com/legendary-organizer/

This is a bit smaller than the organizer that acedaryl1 linked, but it was designed for Legendary, so it might fit better.

And if you haven't yet, check out cwhitpan's foam core tutorials. I'm currently learning how to make custom inserts thanks to Legendary as well. I just got the Civil War expansion, so I have way too many cards to fit in the insert that comes with the game.

Good luck, and if you come up with any clever ideas, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the Broken Token inserts for mine, but with all of the expansions, the base game box got too crowded. So, the starters and setup cards go in one of the Secret Wars expansion boxes (but I still need another Broken Token insert for that one), and the heroes all fit nicely in the base game box with board and instructions included. I wouldn't mind consolidating everything into a single box solution, but that would have to be an entirely NEW storage solution. The base game box just isn't big enough any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar place here. I have all of the Marvel packs and that means that I use Villians (just heroes), Base (setup cards, wounds, etc.), Secret Wars vol2 (bad guys and some overflow of good guys), and the Civil war (just Civil War atm) boxes all at the same time to hold the game.

There are some great recommendations on here for some wooden boxes being re-purposed for this. My plan is to get two of the boxes in question and create foam-core inserts for them.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1930796/legendary-marvel...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2642720/legendary-marvel...

There are the general examples. There are a lot like this and I'm thinking this is the way to go.

I've heard that these boxes are easy to find at Hobby Lobby, but my local store has never had them. So I'm kind of watching out for them elsewhere. Either way they are going to be great for this. Only concern I have is the boards for this, but I will cross that bridge later. That and I want to upgrade the infinity shards into acrylic gems and stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gaming
msg tools
Hey there bud. I've had a look, very cool thanks. The pre-built inserts are great, and they way they've been cut is well designed. The old grey cells are beginning to tick over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Gaming
msg tools
Wow, some great ideas, thank you for all the links. I like the idea of the pre-cut wood inserts, that will save me some time in the shed. Foam Core seems ideal for holding the board, so thanks for that

At the moment I'm thinking about going for something similar to;

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2642720/legendary-marvel...

But on a larger scale. Maybe a multi-layered box. Or even a foldout. Thanks to you guys I've got an idea of the problems I'm going to have.

1) Future expansions. If I make something bespoke, and even plan for new expansion, if I run out of space, it will all have been for nowt.
2) Size. From scratch, single box, lots of cards. Going to be quite the sizeable beast. So I don't want to go over board, and not be able to fit it through doors.

Before I get some ideas down on paper, anyone think of anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the ubiquitous Hobby Lobby Artist case + Broken Token insert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
With a custom insert you can fit a lot in the base game box -- assuming you don't sleeve. I built a three row HDF insert, but because of sleeving it is getting snug with the base game, dark city, guardians, and paint the town red.

If you do sleeve and want to have it all in one spot the broken token artist case insert (or diy of similar design) is probably the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:

This was one of my initial thoughts as well, but will the board fit? I know there are straps to hold the rules beneath the top cover, but is it deep enough to hold a game board in there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
godurmyall wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

This was one of my initial thoughts as well, but will the board fit? I know there are straps to hold the rules beneath the top cover, but is it deep enough to hold a game board in there?

I don't know if it will fit the Legendary board. I have Legendary Encounters which uses the rubber mats which are easy to fold up, does Marvel Legendary have a different type of board. Either way, the depth won't be a problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graem Poole
msg tools
Hello

You can easily do this yourself if you have a bit of time, some Coroplast and a sharp knife.

Though I don't have any build pictures, here is the final box.

The dividers are corrugated plastic covered in black duct tape. The corrugated plastic, which is sometimes known as Coroplast, can be found in any hardware store. Sometimes you can purchase a part of sheet if somebody didn't need the whole sheet.

The Coroplast can be easily cut with a sharp x-acto knife. I cut a square piece to fit the bottom, so the cards didn't sit so deep in the box. The dividers are simply lengthwise pieces of Coroplast that criss-cross, with black duct tape finishing off the look.

It's an easy project that can be completed in a few hours. The rules and game board fit nicely on top, especially since I printed the dividers on heavy card stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
claudermilk wrote:

I don't know how thick the board is, or what the card size is, so cannot say for sure. I can say that with my box holding Dominion, there is plenty of room for a big pile of rule books, and a bifold board. This is the Euro-sized card organize that sets the cards vertically. I have enough extra room to cram a number of other card games and low-bits-count board games in the case along with Dominion for trips. I've had about 10 games total stuffed in there, including a small bifold board for Monza. There was enough room to comfortably close the lid & latch it with all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.