Hide
9 Posts

Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple more easy questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adolph Oliver-Nipples
msg tools
Can a unit marked 'used' make an Assault Move?

There are several places in the rule book that describes how a 'limited covered arc' on the counters themselves, but none that I can find that state what that means or how it is manifested in game play.

Any help appreciated,
Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bogen
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dukewilliam wrote:

There are several places in the rule book that describes how a 'limited covered arc' on the counters themselves, but none that I can find that state what that means or how it is manifested in game play.

Any help appreciated,
Steve

I don't believe a used unit can Assault Move. The "Strategy Guide" that came with some Kickstarter levels shows some Assault Move examples, and none include an Assault Move with a used unit. You can, however, move and then assault move, which is something that may not be entirely clear in the rulebook.

Limited Covered Arc refers to a restricted arc of fire for some units. For example, all the anti-tank guns are limited covered arc, meaning they do not have a 360 degree fire arc such as turreted vehicles. I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
BogenBlitz wrote:
Dukewilliam wrote:

Any help appreciated,
Steve

I don't believe a used unit can Assault Move. The "Strategy Guide" that came with some Kickstarter levels shows some Assault Move examples, and none include an Assault Move with a used unit. You can, however, move and then assault move, which is something that may not be entirely clear in the rulebook.

Limited Covered Arc refers to a restricted arc of fire for some units. For example, all the anti-tank guns are limited covered arc, meaning they do not have a 360 degree fire arc such as turreted vehicles. I hope that makes sense.

Agreed with Scott.

For a used unit they have used their 2 limited actions (move, fire, assault move) and can perform no more of those actions - 16.1, 16.2. Used units can only engage in rally, cover, spotting (16.7) and intensive fire (16.8)

Limited arc are limited to firing their man in armament extending from the front facing of the unit (8.6) they can still fire their secondary weapons in any direction unless noted (8.7)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Logan
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good answers Scott and Craig.

No, a Used unit may not assault move.

Here's a pic from the Strategy Guide which may help with the Limited Covered Arc question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the difference between a Covered Arc and a Limited Covered Arc?

The diagram above is, as far as I cant tell, a standard Covered Arc (CA for this question). I see references to a Limited Covered Arc (LCA for this question) but no definition or explanation that is making sense to me.

I know how to spot the difference on the counters (red = CA, red+gray = LCA) just not what it means in game terms.

Does it affect the field of fire? (Nearly 180° for CA and less for LCA?)

Does it affect changing the CA? (Pivot penalty, cannot fire if LCA changes?)

Does it just differentiate a turreted main weapon from a fixed main gun? I might be able to grok that. Red CA means 360° fire for main armament.

Thanks. Sorry to be dense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:
What is the difference between a Covered Arc and a Limited Covered Arc?

The diagram above is, as far as I cant tell, a standard Covered Arc (CA for this question). I see references to a Limited Covered Arc (LCA for this question) but no definition or explanation that is making sense to me.

I know how to spot the difference on the counters (red = CA, red+gray = LCA) just not what it means in game terms.

Does it affect the field of fire? (Nearly 180° for CA and less for LCA?)

Does it affect changing the CA? (Pivot penalty, cannot fire if LCA changes?)

Does it just differentiate a turreted main weapon from a fixed main gun? I might be able to grok that. Red CA means 360° fire for main armament.

Thanks. Sorry to be dense.

Hi Martin,

I can understand the confusion but I think it is simpler than what you are making it. My understanding is that a red triangle represents the front facing of the unit which helps determine movement options. These units can fire both primary and secondary weapons in any direction.

If there is grey triangle as well then this represents a limited covered arc - in this case the unit cannot fire its main armament outside of this arc, however it can fire secondary weapons in any direction.

Cheers Craig

Edit - got the colours mixed up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:

This is what it means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is a turret thing. Perfect. I think I have it straight in my head. For now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Barthheart wrote:
martimer wrote:

This is what it means.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.