Subject: USA - Election polls. A curious outsider. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Judy Pacheco
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I try to avoid politics in general and am not involved in the USA elections, but all the media coverage has me curious about a few things. If you are so inclined, please answer these poll questions and feel free to comment on any reasons why. I don't mean to get into a huge political discussion and am really just listening to people's views here. This is a non-scientific poll that covers a narrow demographic, but I am curious to learn more about my fellow gamers.

Poll
Are you voting in the USA election?
Yes
No, I am in the USA, but am not eligible.
No, I am not in the USA.
No, I dislike all the candidates.
No, I do not care about politics.
No, my vote does not matter anyway.
Other.
      103 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Poll
Who will you vote for?
Trump
Clinton
Johnson
Other
      85 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Poll
If you are voting for Hillary Clinton is it more because...
I like her as a candidate.
I dislike Trump.
Other.
      58 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Poll
If you are voting for Donald Trump, is it more because...
I like him as a candidate.
I dislike Clinton.
Other.
      17 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Poll
If you are voting for Gary Johnson, is it more because...
I like him as a candidate.
I dislike the other two candidates.
Other.
      27 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like her as a candidate AND I dislike Trump.

Should have used checkboxes.

But I liked her more as a candidate than I disliked Trump. But if I didn't like her as a candidate, I can't imagine disliking any candidate more than trump short of a 3rd world dictator or a serial killer or a mafia don. So it's a toughy.

Clinton will be a moderate left wing candidate with experience as a u.s. senator and secretary of state.
Clinton will continue the ACA and even start fixing it.
Clinton will see that lower income families have less expensive college educations (which is good for the entire country).
Clinton will nominate moderate left wing candidates for the supreme court.
Clinton is respected by world leaders and disliked by Putin.
Clinton is a classic politician willing to work with the opposition for negotiated deals.
Clinton is a bit of a wonk.
Clinton is more cold and rational.
Clinton puts the good of the party and the good of the country ahead of her personal gain.
Clinton cares strongly about womens issues.
Clinton dislikes racists and neo-nazis.
Clinton is willing but not eager to pull the trigger.
Clinton listens to her advisors and often adjusts or changes her opinion based on their advice.
Clinton can make the tough calls when they are needed.
Clinton has shown genuine empathy for people thru her charity work and donations (which I had to dig into deeply due to repeated (4 times!) misrepresentations by conservatives here).
I could go on.

But.. Clinton for president. Trump for the Dump!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
RSP is not exactly a cross section of America.

The average American is far more informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Ha ha ha ha. That's a good one, Koldfoot!

Oh wait, you're serious.

The average american is less informed about the constitution than Trump is. And he supports Article One, Article Two, even Article Twelve!

Quote:
“It wasn’t a surprise to anybody that he might get a little bit ahead of himself regarding to the number of articles that exist in the Constitution,” said Rep. Mark Sanford (R., S.C.), who wasn’t impressed with Mr. Trump in his visit. “There were a number of folks that looked at each other funny when he said ‘I’m for Article I, I’m for Article II, I’m for Article XII.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Clinton will be a moderate left wing candidate with experience as a u.s. senator and secretary of state.
Clinton will see that lower income families have less expensive college educations (which is good for the entire country).
Clinton is a classic politician willing to work with the opposition for negotiated deals.
Clinton puts the good of the party and the good of the country ahead of her personal gain.
Clinton listens to her advisors and often adjusts or changes her opinion based on their advice.
Clinton has shown genuine empathy for people thru her charity work and donations (which I had to dig into deeply due to repeated (4 times!) misrepresentations by conservatives here).
I could go on.

I am quoting this, but not because I like it. I am quoting this because I want to be able to come back to it in four years and see how it panned out.

For example, I could have done the same with respect to Obama and his Gitmo promise. I didn't.

But you have made definitive statements, some of which are easy to measure (others are just your opinion), and you appear to be using these definitive statements as a reason for a positive vote for Clinton (the first positive reasons I have seen posted by anyone here in RSP as to why they will vote Clinton, so thank you). And so I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out after a 4-year run by Clinton as President.

Thank you for your contribution. I gave you a tip as well, as it is easier to search that way four years from now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

"Word on the Street" type interviews are always the best, because they always edit out the "smart" or "correct" answers so that you only get to see how dumb your fellow Americans really are.

It's fun, plus it makes me feel like the smartest guy in the room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Pacheco
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bonus poll:

Poll
If you were planning to vote for Gary Johnson and that was no longer an option, which other candidate would you vote for?
Donald Trump
Hillary Clinton
Other
I would not vote
      17 answers
Poll created by Topanga

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my state is clearly going Clinton, I may vote for Johnson just to encourage thinking in other than one dimensional terms. More an encouragement vote than a protest vote, though I wouldn't vote for Johnson if it mattered and I only agree with a bit of his platform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Poor Jill Stein ><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Since my state is clearly going Clinton, I may vote for Johnson just to encourage thinking in other than one dimensional terms. More an encouragement vote than a protest vote, though I wouldn't vote for Johnson if it mattered and I only agree with a bit of his platform.
I'm on the same page as a positive encouragement vote for other ideas, though I would probably vote for Trump in California if he had the slightest chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Concur

maxo-texas wrote:

Wow...so much wrong in one handy list! Thanks for compiling all of these falsehoods in one spot....

Trump is better than Clinton, simply because he's not a Clinton. That's more than enough right there.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
Isn't it funny how the last two polls about Johnson and Trump look like two hands giving the bird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
chrisnd wrote:
It's fun, plus it makes me feel like the smartest guy in the room.

I usually AM the smartest guy in the room.

I'm alone a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

I could go on.

I am quoting this, but not because I like it. I am quoting this because I want to be able to come back to it in four years and see how it panned out.

For example, I could have done the same with respect to Obama and his Gitmo promise. I didn't.

But you have made definitive statements, some of which are easy to measure (others are just your opinion), and you appear to be using these definitive statements as a reason for a positive vote for Clinton (the first positive reasons I have seen posted by anyone here in RSP as to why they will vote Clinton, so thank you). And so I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out after a 4-year run by Clinton as President.

Thank you for your contribution. I gave you a tip as well, as it is easier to search that way four years from now.

I suggest an unusual tip amount like 31.459 geek gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Concur

maxo-texas wrote:

Wow...so much wrong in one handy list! Thanks for compiling all of these falsehoods in one spot....

Trump is better than Clinton, simply because he's not a Clinton. That's more than enough right there.

Ferret

The fact you can't see how bad a republican candidate who's openly in a bromance with putin, encourages violence by his supporters like some fascist dictator, and who's ripped his own donators off for almost 20 million dollars says just how far gone your ability judge 'wrongness' is.

Hopefully you guys can run a sane candidate next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a dual citizen with US citizenship living permanently abroad.The state I am registered to vote in won't send out absentee ballots to people abroad for more than 10 years. I could register to vote at a federal level but that Ive found is less simple than it sounds.

To be frank, although Johnson is closest, there really isn't a candidate I'd want to vote for, and in spite of my citizenship, it really isn't my country anymore. So theoretically I'm a US citizen and registered voter in limbo who just doesn't think dealing with the US bureaucracy is worth the time or effort needed for it.

No matter who wins this election, America loses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
whac3 wrote:
I am a dual citizen with US citizenship living permanently abroad.The state I am registered to vote in won't send out absentee ballots to people abroad for more than 10 years. I could register to vote at a federal level but that Ive found is less simple than it sounds.

To be frank, although Johnson is closest, there really isn't a candidate I'd want to vote for, and in spite of my citizenship, it really isn't my country anymore. So theoretically I'm a US citizen and registered voter in limbo who just doesn't think dealing with the US bureaucracy is worth the time or effort needed for it.

And I'll give Trump a chance.

He's right on the big issues.

And I don't think he is blowing smoke. He may not succeed with such an Obama friendly congress. But I trust him to try.

I don't trust him to be effective.

And please. Don't try too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
…And please. Don't try too hard.
Drop dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
whac3 wrote:

And I'll give Trump a chance.

He's right on the big issues.

And I don't think he is blowing smoke. He may not succeed with such an Obama friendly congress. But I trust him to try.

I don't trust him to be effective.

And please. Don't try too hard.

Such a friendly congress?

LOL. come on man. for one thing, we have an 8 person supreme court that could drop to 7 before the election.

And one that's tried to vote down the ACA about 100 times.

And where 7 members told Biden before the first obama bill was submitted that republicans planning to vote no on everything as a matter of policy breaking about 200 years of precedence.

Reality is so far from your position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Pffffffffft

What has Obama wanted that he hasn't got?

No one has an answer.

The answers I get are: Closing Gitmo. Appointments. Some clown said Zika funding.

He had both houses for 2 years and failed to bring up closing gitmo. He is smart enough to realize it is a bad move even if you aren't. Since then he has brought it up, but not seriously and only for politics.

Appointments? Big deal. Happens to every President. Dems wouldn't have approved the SCOTUS choice either.

He'll get Zika funding soon.

What else have you got?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Pffffffffft

No one has an answer.

The answers I get are: Closing Gitmo. Appointments. Some clown said Zika funding.

He had both houses for 2 years and failed to bring up closing gitmo. He is smart enough to realize it is a bad move even if you aren't. Since then he has brought it up, but not seriously and only for politics.

Appointments? Big deal. Happens to every President. Dems wouldn't have approved the SCOTUS choice either.

What else have you got?

Reforms to the ACA
Paid family leave
Sane military procurement (A.K.A. not buying tanks the military doesn't want)
Immigration reform
Planned Parenthood funding
Broader anti-discrimination protections
Leaving marijuana to the states
Broader investment in infrastructure and research
Broader equal pay measures
Stronger action on climate change
Prescription drug price controls
Stronger regulation of the financial sector
Syrian refugee support
Federal support for police accountability measures

An easy approach here is to think about a problem we face (or, from your perspective, which liberals think we face). Very frequently, these line up quite nicely with issues on which Obama would like to do something and Congress has accomplished nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Pffffffffft

No one has an answer.

What else have you got?

Reforms to the ACA
Paid family leave
Immigration reform
Syrian refugee support

An easy approach here is to think about a problem we face (or, from your perspective, which liberals think we face). Very frequently, these line up quite nicely with issues on which Obama would like to do something and Congress has accomplished nothing.

What on that list hasn't he gotten?

Edit: perhaps you don't understand.

Your list. He got the ACA. He got federal paid family leave. He wants sane fiscal spending? On what planet? He reformed immigration singlehandedly, congress let him. Planned Parenthood is well funded, more than ever. Very broad discrimination protections have occurred, despite him being against it as a candidate. He left Marijuana to the states.

The rest you pulled out of your ass. He never tried for any of that, plus it is so nebulous as to be meaningless. Plus you use "broader, stronger" that is an admission he got what he wanted, but maybe not quite as much as he asked for. Pfffff That is politics.

Edit: missed the Syria one. Do you even read the news?

an informed response is better than a shotgun response, hoping you get one item right.

Kind of the baffle-em-with-bullshit approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
rinelk wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Pffffffffft

No one has an answer.

What else have you got?

Reforms to the ACA
Paid family leave
Immigration reform
Syrian refugee support

What on that list hasn't he gotten?

Edit: perhaps you don't understand.

Your list. He got the ACA. He got federal paid family leave. He wants sane fiscal spending? On what planet? He reformed immigration singlehandedly, congress let him. Planned Parenthood is well funded, more than ever. Very broad discrimination protections have occurred, despite him being against it as a candidate. He left Marijuana to the states.

The rest you pulled out of your ass. He never tried for any of that, plus it is so nebulous as to be meaningless. Plus you use "broader, stronger" that is an admission he got what he wanted, but maybe not quite as much as he asked for. Pfffff That is politics.

Edit: missed the Syria one. Do you even read the news?

an informed response is better than a shotgun response, hoping you get one item right.

Kind of the baffle-em-with-bullshit approach.

I don't understand how you can read the words "Reform to the ACA" and respond "He got the ACA". Let's leave aside the rest for the moment, and just clarify that one. Do you see why your response is bizarre, or shall I explain it to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
If this has been a "friendly" Congress for Obama, I'd hate to see an UNFRIENDLY one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.