Control» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Come dance along the razor's edge with me! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elder Zeekutar
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“One more dance along the razor's edge finished. Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow, but alive, gloriously alive, today.”
― Robert Jordan, Lord of Chaos

I funded this game because I thought: "what the heck, they look like nice people, it's a cool concept, and the art looks nice"

The kickstarter went well. They received funding, and were able to upgrade a few things. The publishers kept everyone reasonably informed and shipping was only delayed a little bit.

Then I received my game. I brought it over to my friend's house for some filler.

5 defeats later I was hooked.

Every turn felt like walking the razor's edge. Do I draw? Do I install? Will I live? Will I die? Hah! I hit 11 and I have a nova in my hand for next turn... oh... he wiped the board. But wait! I can cancel that card! Oh... now I have to discard my only card, the nova.

While a lot of people will see a lot of luck involved, the true meat of this game is 'what you do with the hand you are dealt'
Since most of the cards have two purposes, It really comes down to how you handle each turn.

Every game I played I would think back and say, AH! if only I had used the card for fuel points instead of its ability, or, I am sure glad I kept that rift until the last minute, etc.

All the heavy gamers I've shown it too love that you can out think your opponent in a game that lasts less time than it takes to set up some games.

All of my non gamers I've shown it too (my family mostly) were able to grasp and enjoy it quickly since it's almost entirely made out of cards and has essentially 4 rules.

I believe it's on amazon as well, so there's no reason for anyone to skip this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree. I love that you can open the box and be playing as fast as you can deal out 10 cards. And luck? Yeah, you can get some awful cards dealt to you, but that's why you play best of 7. So glad I backed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.