$30.00
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So to show what this game promises based on the Battles listed on the GMT Game Web Page, I took these details from my old copies of the De Bellis Multitudinous Army lists. These lists have been refined for over 40 years so are not a bad source for a fly by. Some added color I have added based on my reading.

DBM Army Lists Book 2: 500 BC to 476 AD

DBM Army Lists Book 3: 476 AD to 1071 AD

People are questioning the term "Medieval" and I think it going to show the first phase in History where the mounted warrior first attained dominance over the always vaunted Roman Legionary Heavy Infantry and his ilk and their decline.

Byzantine Empire 493 AD - 578 AD
(note by this point the Army has converted from Latin to Greek).

Everybody still called themselves Romans. A Christian Empire.

Towards the end of this period (after 476 AD) all the Roman Trained cavalry forces were very professional and improved. The core of the Imperial army. Many of the excellent German soldiers had been assimilated as Romans.

The East Roman (Early Byzantine) Regular Army:

Boukellarioi Romanised Trained Germanic Armoured Cavalry which belonged to each General's Household troops.
Kavallarioi Roman Trained Armoured Cavalry
Skoutatoi Roman Trained Heavy Infantry spear and shield and darts and caltrops
Psiloi Roman Trained Light Infantry Bow and Javelin

The East Roman (Early Byzantine) Roman Levies:

City Levy and Peasants
Chariot Racing factions

Allied Tribes from outside the Empire and Tribal Peoples from within the Empire and Symmachoi (Complete German Tribes allowed to settle in the empire in return for military service):

Tribal Medium Infantry: Isaurians, Armenians, Lazoi, Abasgoi, Tzanoi, Antae, Slavs - Spear and Shield
Tribal Light Infantry: Moors or Isaurian: Javelin men and slingers
Germanic Tribal Armoured Cavalry (Symmachoi, see above) : Gepids, Heruls, Goths, Vandals. These were the heavy weight punch of a Byzantine force. Would charge to impact with shield and lance, javelin and spear. See my Icon for an example from an Osprey book.
Moorish Tribal Light Cavalry - Light cavalry, scouts and could also charge to contact.
Hunnic Refugee Tribal Light Cavalry. These were an enigma, fought as scouting light cavalry but were known to absolutely destroy Vandal heavy cavalry in battle. I think they had a fearsome reputation among the German tribes.

Allies or Enemies from outside the empire:
Tribes from outside the Empire. Was always good to bring a bunch on campaign at least as hostages for the good behavior of the remainder of the tribe and give them a stake in the booty.

Hun Allies
Herul Allies
Arab Allies
Lombard Allies

Sassanid Persian 220 AD - 637 AD A Royal Iranian Noble House Dominates. A Zoroastrian Empire.

Iranian Noble House Cataphracts Armoured Horses Spear Shield and bow
Iranian, Sogdian, Bactrian and Parthian Noble House medium Cavalry armed as medium armored Horse Archers
Tribal Light Horse Archers
Tribal Light Infantry Archers
Daylami or Hillman Tribal spear, javelin and shield
Tribal and Mesopotamian peasant levy Spear
The Elephant Corps

Subsidised Frontier Tribal Allies
Lakhmid, Yemeni and Nomad Arab allies
White Hun Chionite or Ephtalite allies

Subjects:
Armenian Allies

Later Moorish 25 AD to 696 AD

Tribe Leader Bodyguard Medium Cavalry
Light Cavalry fight as light or medium cavalry, they were tough.
Javelin men light infantry
Javelin men fighting from behind kneeling camels - Medium Infantry
Archers and Slingers light infantry
Women, children, elderly and slaves

Moorish Allies:
The Vandals of Carthage - Germanic mounted
Byzantine Deserters army
Byzantine Rebel army

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read OP I am now looking more forward to this C&C title

Some outside the norm thinking for C&C...

I'm wondering if there will be any rules/card play for forces that had tenuous truces or agreements to serve under Roman command... I guess that would be political workings not covered by a C&C rules set, yet the realities would translate to battlefield events... maybe more of a campaign result, if Roman allied forces sustain heavier casualties they'd be less likely to participate in future battles... unless some concession is offered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think the BIG MISSING piece to all the CnC series is a Campaign Game for each to tie battles together. Others have tried but I would love Richard Borg's design of it.

Maybe this will be the time to do it.

The next module I am guessing/hoping would be the Rise of Islam up to the Abassids.

After that the rise of the Great Seljuk Turk.

Not sure there are enough variety of field battles in the reconquest of Africa against the Vandals and in Italy against the Goths for the next module. Was mostly decided by sieges.

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
People are questioning the term "Medieval" and I think it going to show the first phase in History where the mounted warrior first attained dominance over the always vaunted Roman Legionary Heavy Infantry and his ilk and their decline.

The changes to cavalry and infantry dice, a board that's 2 rows deeper, and a hint at "small unit" engagements certainly suggest a focus on mobility. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something in the rules/cards that provide for more tactical movement, ala Breakthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Pariseau
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
agrippa wrote:

The changes to cavalry and infantry dice, a board that's 2 rows deeper, and a hint at "small unit" engagements certainly suggest a focus on mobility. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing something in the rules/cards that provide for more tactical movement, ala Breakthrough.

With these armies being the focus, I would think it would be a necessity. That or something like the original Battlelore lore cards that allowed for extra commands in addition to the command deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird that this game adds a "Parthian Shot" rule, when the Parthian Empire was long gone by this period. Shouldn't this rule have been in C&C Ancients?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Weird that this game adds a "Parthian Shot" rule, when the Parthian Empire was long gone by this period. Shouldn't this rule have been in C&C Ancients?

See OP.

"Iranian, Sogdian, Bactrian and Parthian Noble House medium Cavalry armed as medium armored Horse Archers "
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect we might get the battle of Tours (Poitiers) 732?

No Alfred the Great battles (Vikings!)?

Will there be Mongols?

Hope we get the Battle of Durazzo between Robert Guiscard and Alexius Comnenus, and Hattin.

but no, Hastings, Agincourt, bovines, Sandwich, Morganton, Castillon, Wahl stat?

I suspect probably in expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I met RB... way back when (pre-Samurai Battles)... I remember him saying he had planned out the Mongol invasions as well as the Chinese Three Kingdoms.

It would not surprise me if he has researched Vikings, but I doubt they used any large scale linear tactics.

I would hope we get to the classics Hastings type battles with C&C:Medieval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.