Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: LCG vs Board Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaric Loving
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
With the impending release of AH:LCG, is there any reason to go for the board game? I've already preordered the LCG, but wonder if the board game is still worth the plunge at this point?

I have yet to play AH myself, so would like to hear any thoughts from seasoned AH players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Some will tell you, and I agree, skip Arkham Horror and go straight to Eldritch Horror, IMHO it's basically Arkham Horror 2.0. Once you have learned Eldritch Horror go back and check out Arkham Horror, you'll have an easier time learning it going into with knowledge of Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Montanus
United States
Twin Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can play a good game, Arkham Horror.

Meant in jest, no need for inflamed responses. But I do prefer Arkham Horror to Eldritch Horror, and so do others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While they share the same setting and characters, the games will provide very different experiences. I've grown to love the FFG Lovecraft universe so for me I think it's great we get to experience it in so many different ways. I'm a big fan of Arkham Horror, as well as Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness (still haven't gotten around to Eldritch yet). I don't think any of them renders any others obsolete. If you like the Mythos you can't go wrong with any or all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmontanus wrote:
Or you can play a good game, Arkham Horror.

Meant in jest, no need for inflamed responses. But I do prefer Arkham Horror to Eldritch Horror, and so do others.

I never said Arkham Horror was a bad game, I even still play it every now and then. But if I am recommending something to someone new to the Arkham Files games I won't promote them going out and investing in Arkham Horror over Eldritch Horror, as a starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that LCGs, even cooperative ones like this, are mainly going to shine when you are playing with others who are equally invested, build their own decks, know the "meta", etc. LCGs are generally far more complicated than regular board games, so you get richer strategic experiences, but it comes with a higher cost of investment in both money to buy the expansions and in time to learn the new cards and inevitable FAQ rulings.

AH or Eldritch Horror won't really require as much of an investment from other players, although they do have more expansion content and errata than your average boardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaric Loving
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Donkler wrote:
I'm of the opinion that LCGs, even cooperative ones like this, are mainly going to shine when you are playing with others who are equally invested, build their own decks, know the "meta", etc. LCGs are generally far more complicated than regular board games, so you get richer strategic experiences, but it comes with a higher cost of investment in both money to buy the expansions and in time to learn the new cards and inevitable FAQ rulings.

AH or Eldritch Horror won't really require as much of an investment from other players, although they do have more expansion content and errata than your average boardgames

That's the one thing I'm weary about. I'm aware of the LotR:LCG and its plethora of expansions. Sure, it makes for great gaming with so many options and story, but it sure is an expensive game to get into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I anticipate the LCG being such a completely different game that there's no reason not to have both. There's a reason AH is still being reprinted 10 years later. It remains one of my favorite game and I expect it to continue to hold that crown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a board game, I'd get Eldritch. If you like the idea of making your own decks for a more customized experience then get the upcoming Arkham Horror LCG.

With the LCG more of the game is under your control and eventually there will be a lot more quests than the boardgame will ever have. But, not everyone wants that, you may prefer to just sit back and experience the game without having to be responsible for your deck, just show up and relax sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
Most will tell you, and I agree, skip Arkham Horror and skip straight to Eldritch Horror, it's basically Arkham Horror 2.0
Pure, unsubstantiated hyperbole! Where do your stats come from? Who are the cohort that were polled to produce this majority? Balderdash!

All the games in the Arkham Horror Family are good games. All of them. They each fulfill their own niche and all are worthy of at least a "try before you buy". None are deserving of an out of hand dismissal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh. I definitely ditched Arkham after I had Eldritch. And now with Mansions + Eldritch + the LCG, I can't see any reason to play the original any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
MerryHo wrote:
Most will tell you, and I agree, skip Arkham Horror and skip straight to Eldritch Horror, it's basically Arkham Horror 2.0
Pure, unsubstantiated hyperbole! Where do your stats come from? Who are the cohort that were polled to produce this majority? Balderdash!

All the games in the Arkham Horror Family are good games. All of them. They each fulfill their own niche and all are worthy of at least a "try before you buy". None are deserving of an out of hand dismissal.

McCrispy speaks wisdom

Some people think EH is AH 2.0. Some people think its's a watered-down hollywood reboot of the original. But they're both great games and you'll have to try them out to decide which is best for you.

I think its grand the FFG can make so many similar themed games that play so differently that there can even be a debate. Add AH:LCG to my growing stack of mythos, please sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Arkham Horror, but never play it anymore since getting Eldritch Horror.

And I can't wait for Arkham Horror the Card Game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kotenberg

Washington
msg tools
I too prefer Eldritch over AH for a board game. AH lcg will be its own experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
United States
Mesa
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
MerryHo wrote:

I see I touched a nerve, well my claim is not unsubstantiated, just look at the plethora of posts out there comparing the two, I've read a lot of them and the general consensus is that people prefer Eldritch over Arkham. That doesn't make Arkham Horror a bad game, it's just a comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy it. Arkham is still awesome and the best Lovecraft game out there for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't think AH:lcg will be the replacement for AH.

AH has a lot of replayability, a great narrative feeling because that all location and other worlds decks.

in fact, i've seen the videos about AH:lcg and i have not get the feeling of AH, only the theme is it. there is not a mechanical link between both, beyond the sanity/health system (something common to most lovecraftian games). so, for now at least, i would say that there are enough differences to get both games in same collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
MerryHo wrote:

I see I touched a nerve, well my claim is not unsubstantiated, just look at the plethora of posts out there comparing the two, I've read a lot of them and the general consensus is that people prefer Eldritch over Arkham. That doesn't make Arkham Horror a bad game, it's just a comparison.
I've read pretty much every single one of those posts - I'm pretty active in the forums for both games (and am a beta-tester for EH). My take on the debate is that the overall consensus is more balanced amongst those who say more that just a single sentence throwaway comment in either camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MerryHo wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I would vote for the other way around.

I was really disappointed in Eldritch Horror. I though the designers went overboard with the streamlined rules. Arkham Horror is a bit more complicated, but has more role playing-like mechanics that got really watered down in Eldritch Horror. Also, the board and events in Arkham Horror represent much better the dark, New England atmosphere you can generally find in Lovecraft's work.

I think Arkham Horror is a timeless classic that provides a deeper, more immersive experience than Eldritch Horror. Not that I think EH is a bad game (far from it), I just prefer AH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
My whole play group sold our Arkham Horror collections after a couple of
Plays of Eldritch Horror. Sure the 'true fans' will say that they are different, but it's like two black metal fans arguing over which band is heavier, as an outsider you just don't care, and EH respects the players time more and provides a more focussed story experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Ivory Coast
Abidjan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got rid of my Arkham Horror after getting Eldritch Horror, which I prefer. However, I miss some of the 'gloom' of the original and the ongoing battles, and I wouldn't turn down a game of Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only choose one! So my suggestion is to buy the LCG and then after a little while decide to trade it...to someone who only needs one Arkham Horror game...and has the board game plus the Dunwich Horror expansion...and really wants to start the LCG. A person like me!ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like Eldritch Horror and continue to adore Arkham Horror. It is my number 1 all time game and has been for many, many years. I wholeheartedly recommend AH and all of its expansions.

I will be getting the LCG also and am looking forward to it very much. I in no way consider the LCG as a replacement to AH, nor even in the same ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror is a good game, but we never play it anymore.

Elrdich Horror is so much better for what we want from a boardgame.

It really depends on your group preference, level, and interest. Some will like one, and some the other.

AH;tCG seems like a different experience from either. It is completely fine to have all 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Horton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jaric,

I personally enjoy AH over EH.
I suggest watching the Tragic the Blathering play through series he did on youtube. Just do a search on "tragic the blathering" and check out his playlist. At the end of one of the AH videos he talks about the key differences between the two games. In the end, I agree with him that a lot of it comes down to which game you started with and nostalgia.

Just my 2-cents. You really can't go wrong with these two great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.