$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
$5.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Amazon Prime Members Only for certain games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lewis
United States
Bath
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered Forbidden Stars and when reading the description noticed it said "sold by Amazon and a Prime Memebr exclusive." This was the first I had heard of this. I did some research and it looks like Amazon is only allowing certain items to be purchased by Prime members.

What are your thoughts on this?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Prime member myself, I have no problem with it.

As a board game purchaser, Amazon isn't always the cheapest, so I have no problem with it.

As a firm believer in free market capitalism, I have no problem with it.

So, I guess I have no problem with it.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scoresfilm wrote:
I just ordered Forbidden Stars and when reading the description noticed it said "sold by Amazon and a Prime Memebr exclusive." This was the first I had heard of this. I did some research and it looks like Amazon is only allowing certain items to be purchased by Prime members.

What are your thoughts on this?


Not sure what the complaint is. They offer perks to people who pay for prime. They also give me certain movies, books, and music for free. I'd guess they are paying royalties on those items, so these are all cost Amazon assumes to get people to sign up for prime. As a result I buy a LOT of stuff from them and not target, Walmart, home despot etc
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
easterly1 wrote:
scoresfilm wrote:
I just ordered Forbidden Stars and when reading the description noticed it said "sold by Amazon and a Prime Memebr exclusive." This was the first I had heard of this. I did some research and it looks like Amazon is only allowing certain items to be purchased by Prime members.

What are your thoughts on this?


Not sure what the complaint is. They offer perks to people who pay for prime. They also give me certain movies, books, and music for free. I'd guess they are paying royalties on those items, so these are all cost Amazon assumes to get people to sign up for prime. As a result I buy a LOT of stuff from them and not target, Walmart, home despot etc


He never said he was complaining.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Hughes
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godurmyall wrote:
As a Prime member myself, I have no problem with it.

As a board game purchaser, Amazon isn't always the cheapest, so I have no problem with it.

As a firm believer in free market capitalism, I have no problem with it.

So, I guess I have no problem with it.


When is Amazon not the cheapest? Everytime I look at a deal anywhere else its always more expensive than Amazon. Shipping always kills it for getting a good deal. Prime free shipping is a godsend
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


I haven't noticed that. perhaps I need to look at Amazon's game offerings more closely. This would be an additional perk for Prime membership (I'm mainly in for holiday shipping & now the streaming video service)...so the above meme...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:
godurmyall wrote:
As a Prime member myself, I have no problem with it.

As a board game purchaser, Amazon isn't always the cheapest, so I have no problem with it.

As a firm believer in free market capitalism, I have no problem with it.

So, I guess I have no problem with it.


When is Amazon not the cheapest? Everytime I look at a deal anywhere else its always more expensive than Amazon. Shipping always kills it for getting a good deal. Prime free shipping is a godsend


I seldom fail to meet the free shipping threshold at CSI or MM or wherever, so Amazon doesn't always win for me there. In addition to that, I've found brand new releases on Amazon selling for retail. And I've seen 3rd party sellers listing OOP games at retail or more. $100 orders at other OLGS may not be for everyone, but I buy games for my family birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas . . . and tossing in a little extra something "for myself" that just so happens to reach the free shipping threshold (even if it's a $40 game) is pretty commonplace for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DomeIsTheName wrote:
godurmyall wrote:
As a Prime member myself, I have no problem with it.

As a board game purchaser, Amazon isn't always the cheapest, so I have no problem with it.

As a firm believer in free market capitalism, I have no problem with it.

So, I guess I have no problem with it.


When is Amazon not the cheapest? Everytime I look at a deal anywhere else its always more expensive than Amazon. Shipping always kills it for getting a good deal. Prime free shipping is a godsend


Amazon tends to win out for Asmodee and CMoN titles. Certainly products by FFG once they went under the wing of Asmodee, but beyond that? I know I have saved an additional 16% on an order when getting it from CSI and that's when I had a lower member's reward level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie A
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'd noticed this happening more often starting perhaps 18 months ago. I order a lot of medical-type supplies and equipment for my elderly/disabled parents and suddenly some of those items were only available to Prime members.

Since I have Prime on my own account I managed the disruption that way. However it does bother me simply because Amazon does not market themselves as a Membership store ala Costco or Sam's Club. And they don't market Prime that way either, they market it as a perks package, their version of a Rewards card. Being allowed to purchase a retail product sitting on the shelf isn't what most people normally think of as a 'special perk'.

Also, given the type of products I was buying, I thought it was particularly mercenary and did contact them about it. After some months the items were once again available without restriction.


OT, earlier today I noticed a new banner popping up in the Amazon search results, similar in shape to their "Add-on Item" callout... a prominent black bar marking an item as "Amazon's Choice"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.