Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Humble Bundle is selling a bunch of games from the past year again, including Tabletop Simulator. TTS is a bargain at $20 but a steal at $10.

For those unaware it is a 3D physics engine sandbox to use to play games and there are literally thousands of games uploaded to the Steam Workshop.

If you ant get together with friends physically this is the next best thing.

Check it out. The link for TTS itself is
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tabletop-simulator

The rest of the stuff you can just get from humblebundle.com

Oh and some of the money goes to charity too!

Edit: cleaned up url
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Humble Bundle again with many games including Tabletop Simulator
Thanks. Never heard of it. Must be nice to play test prototypes of games ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for a minute there I thought you meant it was part of a Humble Bundle, you might want to specify in the title that it's the Humble Bundle Store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the games people upload to the Steam workshop free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Walsh
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
Yes. The official releases, however, are paid DLC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ShiftyPowers57 wrote:
Yes. The official releases, however, are paid DLC.

How much do those typically run and can you give some examples? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for tabletop simulator.

I would not have visited this site otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
landcsf wrote:
Thanks. Never heard of it. Must be nice to play test prototypes of games ?

It's great for that.

Also, a lot of companies (Daily Magic Games, the creators of the Valeria series of games for one) will put the most recent PnP version up on there before and during the KS campaign to give people a chance to play it.

Games fall into one of four categories really:

1. Marketed DLC. Some examples include Scythe, Euphoria, Zombicide, Mistfall. They are usually around $7-$10, and only the host of the game has to own it. If your friend owns the DLC for Scythe, he/she can host the game and you don't have to buy the DLC to play it with them.

2. Sponsored games. As above, a company puts their game on there to get it publicized.

3. Created games privately published. These are folks who wrote games, possibly only in TTS, and promote them there. There's a particular game that a guy wrote that he always tries to get people to play that involves dragon and poop. Some quality may vary.

4. User generated content uploaded to the Workshop. This is where it gets problematic depending upon your moral stance on such things. People can scan in the cards for the games that they own, boards, make images of meeples, etc, and then put the game up for people to download for free. Probably the vast majority of games fit into this category. They mostly seem to exist outside of the attention of the publishers themselves. Some have gone to great lengths to get stuff off -- Steve Jackson Games in particular patrols it regularly to make sure nothing of theirs ends up on there. Particularly Munchkin. But it doesn't seem that most other publishers care, at least that I can tell, because I don't think it'd be too hard for them to really shut it down.

In any case, I think this is awesome option. It's great for me because I have a hard time getting out to game because I have two small children and my wife travels for work. And when she's around, it's tough to dedicate several hours to gaming.

BUT. Tonight I got in a full game of Battlestar Galactica, which I literally haven't been able to do in about four years.

I especially recommend it if you're a solo gamer. For example, I own all of the Marvel Legendary games and expansions, and have been playing in the solo leagues here on BGG. But it was such a pain to set up and take down. I can set it up quickly on TTS, play through it, and then just close it down. No taking 15 minutes to re-sort cards and put them back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
graywolf323 wrote:
for a minut there I thought you meant it was part of a Humble Bundle, you might want to specify in the title that it's the Humble Bundle Store

I was trying to post quickly from my phone to let people know about this, because the last time it went up it came back down and a lot of people hadn't had time to get it.

I understand the desire for accuracy, but is there a significant effective difference between the two from our standpoint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just in case anybody misses this sale: TTS is on sale nearly every month. if it's not in the humble store, it's on steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Aldrich
United States
Newfields
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Twitch.tv/Robust_Porter
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks OP for posting this, I was staring at the Steam page for this game yesterday and now that it's half the price it's a no brainer.

FYI, to see what game are in the workshop for this (there are over 10,000), here's a link: https://steamcommunity.com/app/286160/workshop/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clawf1ng3r wrote:
just in case anybody misses this sale: TTS is on sale nearly every month. if it's not in the humble store, it's on steam.

This is true; it does go on sale often. And always for exactly this price.

Nonetheless -- it never hurts to let more people know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there another board game simulator?
Or is this the one that everyone uses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
canadiankorean wrote:
Is there another board game simulator?
Or is this the one that everyone uses?

There are two main ones (if you discount Vassal, which is something else entirely).

The other is https://tabletopia.com/

The difference in the two models largely revolves around pricing and access.

Tabletop Simulator is a sandbox with user generated content.
Tabletopia is a managed and curated online gaming environment with games supplied by the publishers.

Tabletop Simulator gives you a bit more freedom, and the ability to design your own games. It is a one-time $20 (or $10 currently), and runs through Steam.

Tabletopia has a monthly subscription fee, and will eventually have tablet support as well.

Both have their pros and cons. I personally prefer paying $10 once and getting out of it what I can, but others prefer the Tabletopia interface.

I'd read up on both before choosing if you are the careful sort; or plop down $10 (which is the price of a month's subscription to Tabletopia) and then give TTS a try, and if you don't like it, move on from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
I understand the desire for accuracy, but is there a significant effective difference between the two from our standpoint?

Idk if I'm speaking correctly for anyone but me but...
Their storefront just isn't the most user friendly. On the occasions where they have a lot of games I'm interested in in their store, I've gotten lost as I click on one, hit back, and everything is reorderd and I'm starting from scratch never to know for sure if I saw everything.
And the way you have the title leads many to believe its part of an actual bundle which would probably mean TTS would be a single dollar. Then some scramble trying to find the bundle without reading you post. Not a big deal and humble bundle is to blame but it is worth mentioning.

Still appreciate the post, its been a while since it got this low the last few times it only hit the $12 mark but I think I can convince my last few friends who havent gotten it yet to get it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

Idk if I'm speaking correctly for anyone but me but...
Their storefront just isn't the most user friendly. On the occasions where they have a lot of games I'm interested in in their store, I've gotten lost as I click on one, hit back, and everything is reorderd and I'm starting from scratch never to know for sure if I saw everything.
And the way you have the title leads many to believe its part of an actual bundle which would probably mean TTS would be a single dollar. Then some scramble trying to find the bundle without reading you post. Not a big deal and humble bundle is to blame but it is worth mentioning.

Still appreciate the post, its been a while since it got this low the last few times it only hit the $12 mark but I think I can convince my last few friends who havent gotten it yet to get it now.

Gotcha, makes sense. It didn't occur to me that there would be a difference. I don't remember how I got it--I actually think I got TTS from a Steam sale, not HB, as I think about it. I just remember I paid $10 for it and feel like I've gotten my money's worth hundreds of times over.

I've updated the title to reflect that it's the HB store and not a bundle, and that it is $10 (half off).

Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:

There's a particular game that a guy wrote that he always tries to get people to play that involves dragon and poop. Some quality may vary.

I lol'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
mb
Tabletop also has the HTC Vive in alpha right now and the response has been positive.

I typically use Tabletop to demo a game to see if I want to buy it. Most of the games I would use Tabletop for only exist in Vassal unfortunately. I would love to get some of the GMT games onto Tabletop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do I need to arrange games with friends/others, or is there any type of lobby system established so I can join in or host games with people I have never communicated with?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealcause wrote:
Do I need to arrange games with friends/others, or is there any type of lobby system established so I can join in or host games with people I have never communicated with?

Thanks!

Yes! They actually have their own moderated IRC server integrated into the program. There is a 'global chat' where you can sit and find like minded people to play with. I've had a good amount of success doing that.

Once you are in a server, there is both a chat based communication AND an integrated voice chat system featuring push to talk, always on, and auto-detect. It works really well IMO.

And if you're looking to play Secret Hitler, you'll never have to wait more than two minutes to find a game.

I detest social deduction games and for various other reasons would probably never play SH, but it seems to be all the rage.

Pretty much, hop into the chat and see what people are talking about doing and you'll find a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
... I've gotten lost as I click on one, hit back, and everything is reorderd and I'm starting from scratch never to know for sure if I saw everything.

i know what you mean. annoying as ****.
you can solve this by clicking on titles you'd like to examine with your mouse wheel (if you have one). this will open the game's store page in a new tab in the background.
works on firefox and chrome (should also apply to IE/edge).

this is also, by the way, the only way for me to deal with my BGG subscriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some board games that are on there to play?
The website lists chess, checkers, and a bunch of those games.
They also mention custom games.
But what released games are here?

Also can we 'build' our own game with bits and pieces in the game?
Kind of like prototyping games or print and plays?

Thanks!

NVM... found the list of games at the steam workshop.. very nice list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuxedomouse wrote:
hestiansun wrote:

There's a particular game that a guy wrote that he always tries to get people to play that involves dragon and poop. Some quality may vary.

I lol'd.

Don't laugh. This could be the next Wombat Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rowles
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Here is a link to a collection of games that are available for TTS that are in the Top 500 on BGG:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=28379897...

I have found numerous hours of playing numerous games. I use it to play board games with my son in Jordan while he is at college. Also, it does go on sale regularly. If not on Steam or Humble Bundle, there are about 10 different other websites that will have a sale on it, usually for $10. I went to IsThereAnyDeal.com and just searched for TTS. It almost always had it for $10.

They keep adding new features and have even added a scripting/programming language that some game submitters have used to automate the dealing of cards or tallying of end scores. Amazing! I can't say enough good things about TTS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister lee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought it and I'm impressed at the selection of actual games in the workshop.

This allows me to try it out with friends and then make a purchase in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.