GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,272 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Appreciation: Cheers, Riot Kades, for your responsiveness and openess rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
There is no try...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to post a 'feel-good-thankyou' thread, as it seems that wherever you go on these forums Riot (Chris) is responding to peoples' queries or concerns rather promptly and very openly

The few examples I have seen include the issue of shipping to AUS/NZ, size of the box with sleeved cards, direct selling instead of using FLGS, and of course the price point

Maybe it is just me but it seems that such openness and willingness to share business decisions with our corner of the world doesn't happen all that often, so here's thanks from me, and whoever else shares my good feels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh; no worries, bud. We work for you - not the other way around.

Sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for re: shipping to Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is amazing to me how much Riot has gotten right about this release. People keep talking about components or price point as some kind of thing that will have an impact on other companies, but in my mind the key lesson of this launch for other companies is the coordination and responsiveness.

Add my kudos to the pile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad someone started this thread!

I really appreciate the willingness to engage with the community and address any negativity that has come up (minor) with explanation and positivity, instead of defensiveness and returned attacks. It's shocking to me how few companies are able to do that.

Also, thank you for adopting a business model that bakes the self-distribution "discount" into the cost you're charging the consumers. I think that, even at $100, you'd sell out in no time, so I appreciate you charging so that you make a healthy profit per game while coming in under current market rates for a game of this quality; instead of making a higher profit at the current market rate (I'd assume $100 or $120).

I've never been a LoL fan (I don't like MOBAs enough to learn the amount needed to be good enough to have fun at LoL), but I'll certainly buy board games from you as long as you continue to do these two things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll chime in.

At first, I was just curiously watching Rodney's videos and then Tom's and Rahdo's. Despite some negative sentiments toward the marketing efforts using these videos, I thought the game and components could speak by themselves. It's a pretty game. It has programming like Robo Rally which I like. It has Legacy-esque in its campaign. I was so excited and would insta-buy this game.

Then, Riot staffs came here and provided what I perceive as great engagement with the would-be buyers. Despite some negative responses, they keep answering in very informative, polite and friendly way. That raises my respect to them tenfold.

If before, I had wanted to buy the game because of its components and gameplay, now I come to respect Riot as a company. Well done, Riot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, everyone that I've seen or heard from Riot seems really humble and very cool. It must be an awesome place to work. I want to work there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We're all just really grateful that you all have been so welcoming. We're new to (making) board games and in a lot of ways we really don't know what we're doing. We really appreciate the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
We're all just really grateful that you all have been so welcoming. We're new to (making) board games and in a lot of ways we really don't know what we're doing. We really appreciate the support.

You really don't, because a game with the quality and scope of components you have doesn't get made, or gets kickstarted with a $150 price point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Your response (and the responses of everyone here!) have been super humbling and flattering. Ultimately, we hope we made something cool, but we didn't make it for us. We made it for players, and we really hope it lives up the terrifyingly high expectations 0_o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotFpMcgee wrote:
Your response (and the responses of everyone here!) have been super humbling and flattering. Ultimately, we hope we made something cool, but we didn't make it for us. We made it for players, and we really hope it lives up the terrifyingly high expectations 0_o

Well, you have to remember most of us here are big board gamers and have seen lots of product, good and bad.

Even if the game is awful, you've obviously done everything you could to make it good - brought in consultants, went for crazy good components, and chosen to self publish not to increase profits but keep costs down for buyers. You've also been active on here and been honest when the answers weren't flattering (like overseas shipping).

Most game publishers aren't as profitable as Riot, so they can't all do what you're doing - but Riot didn't have to do any of that.

Any chance you want to buyout a French game congolerate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are doing a great job here on BGG. You proved what could be done and did it extremely well in every aspect. The game will be very successful (you would have made a killing on KS). Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:

Any chance you want to buyout a French game congolerate?

I LoL'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.