Bill Perks
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant and probably my favorite thing about it is that a unit always rolls 12 Dice until reduced to half strength, at which time it rolls 6 dice until dispersed. The efficiency of play is streamlined by not counting figures prior to them firing or fighting. TMWWBK takes us back to, albeit tried and true, counting figures. UGH!

I am sure Daniel had a reason the LR and DR method didn't translate, but I sure wish it had. Was so excited to play this and retire TSATF, but now, I'm not sure.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
theperkman wrote:
I am a big fan of Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant and probably my favorite thing about it is that a unit always rolls 12 Dice until reduced to half strength, at which time it rolls 6 dice until dispersed. The efficiency of play is streamlined by not counting figures prior to them firing or fighting. TMWWBK takes us back to, albeit tried and true, counting figures. UGH!

I am sure Daniel had a reason the LR and DR method didn't translate, but I sure wish it had. Was so excited to play this and retire TSATF, but now, I'm not sure.

Am I missing something?

Be happy you are not playing second edition Dust Tactics!

I have not played the two rulesets you mention, but are you not still dealing with twelve dice for the most common shooters, European/Askari regulars? I will be using smaller units so I suppose it will be faster for me, but I don't see the extra time counting figures as too much effort. Of course, ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Perks
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's not the extra effort, it is just such a nice mechanic to always grab 12 or 6 dice. Since you have not played Lion Rampant or Dragon Rampant it's probably hard for you see what I mean.
Skiprydell wrote:
theperkman wrote:

Am I missing something?

Be happy you are not playing second edition Dust Tactics!

I have not played the two rulesets you mention, but are you not still dealing with twelve dice for the most common shooters, European/Askari regulars? I will be using smaller units so I suppose it will be faster for me, but I don't see the extra time counting figures as too much effort. Of course, ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 'D6-per-figure' mechanic has to be back in because of the dynamics of regular forces versus tribal forces. E.g., if there was a British infantry unit down to 10 figures, facing off against a horde of Zulus still 16 figures strong, the Zulus will still be using a dozen dice until less than 50% remain. I reckon in hand-to-hand combat, that would still be enough to demolish any regular force.

So 'D6-per-figure' would at least allow the regular defenders to deplete enemy tribal units enough to stand a chance.

Maybe it's worth playing out a few actions using both systems - same units in the same fight, first with MWWBK format, then repeat again with LR/DR format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Perks
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAG-UK wrote:
I think the 'D6-per-figure' mechanic has to be back in because of the dynamics of regular forces versus tribal forces. E.g., if there was a British infantry unit down to 10 figures, facing off against a horde of Zulus still 16 figures strong, the Zulus will still be using a dozen dice until less than 50% remain. I reckon in hand-to-hand combat, that would still be enough to demolish any regular force.

So 'D6-per-figure' would at least allow the regular defenders to deplete enemy tribal units enough to stand a chance.

Maybe it's worth playing out a few actions using both systems - same units in the same fight, first with MWWBK format, then repeat again with LR/DR format?

Your explanation makes good sense, I just really liked the 12/6 dice mechanic since it was different than thousands of other rule sets. But I'm sure you are right and Dan would have most likely already play tested, and rejected it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the 12/6 D6 format as it really suits both large horde style units (saves counting individual ghouls/snotlings/gobbos) and also works for the special units too (like the four giant cave trolls acting as a 12SP unit).

I'll be interested to see how in MWWBK the D6-per-figure format works with units using 'hordes' tactics - e.g., Dervish, Boxers, Zulus, etc.

Idea: Maybe Regular/Irregular units could use d6-per-figure - and Tribal use the 12/6 format? It would be interesting to trial that a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Burt
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mb
Tribal units start with 16 figures - so only rolling 12 dice would be a disadvantage for them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dalauppror Dalauppror
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
steveburt wrote:
Tribal units start with 16 figures - so only rolling 12 dice would be a disadvantage for them

Not really as they are 16 minis so they can soak up much more damage and would have to losers 8 minis before they drop to 6 dice, and they cost much less than regulars.

Without tried it I think it would be absolutely possible to use the 12/6 dice in TMTWBK i you feel like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.