Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some questions on the Rule of 5 with the armies. Also want to make sure I understand the normal rule of 5.

1. I could have an army with 5 Elf Archers or 5 Elf Foot, or a combo of 2 Elf Foot and 3 Elf Archers. But I could not have a total of 6 elves or more in one army (Pretty sure this is true)

2. I could have the Army above say 5 Elf Archers, and 5 Satyr Foot, and 5 Dwarf Crossbows, etc. So using base armies I could field 25 Troop, plus War Lord and one Lt in a superstack?

3. How do I count races for the rule of 5?

3a Do Wood Elves and High elves both count as "Elves" or could I have 5 Wood Elves and 5 High Elves in the same army?

3b. What about Beastmen? 5 Satyr Archers Plus the Minotaurs, plus the Centaurs? Or 5 total between all those races?

3c. How do Troll count in the previous question. Are they Beastmen? Or are they a separate race since they have their own location?

3d. Are Bugbears a seperate race? Also what is their racial perk (I note all the others have special rules <pursuit>, <Rage>, <Regenerate> or do they not have one?

3e Wizards are one race? So 5 total wizards in my army?

3f Elites count as their race? So a Great Orc in my army means I can only have a total of 4 more Orcs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may, I'd also like to ask a couple of general "Rule of 5" questions I thought of while reading the above list (rather than starting another thread):

1) How does the "rule of 5" work when multiple armies converge on a single enemy army? Can they not attack together if there would be more than five of a race present when the battle begins? Do some units thus have to be left behind (and therefore lost back to their homelands) ?

2) Similarly, when two friendly armies combine, the "rule of 5" is supposed to be in effect. So this means any extras have to be lost to their homelands, I assume. But can I just have the two armies be present in the same space and just declare they are staying apart, so they can later move away separately? Though, if they can do that, what would be the rule if the two "separate" armies are attacked while sharing a space?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert but I decided that the rule of 5 was by race AND that Wood Elves are a different race than High Elves. So, 3 archers and 3 warriors violated the rule by one figure.

I also went with multiple armies in a space and that combining only happened when there was one leader (extra leaders leave). Have a feeling that I am wrong about this one, but without an official answer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D . J .
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
I also went with multiple armies in a space and that combining only happened when there was one leader (extra leaders leave). Have a feeling that I am wrong about this one, but without an official answer...

I like your reasoning and think I will play it this way. Thus the "Rule of 5" is applied per army/leader, and so if two leaders share a space, they can each have 5 per race; if attacking or attacked, all units participate (so in effect, because two leaders are involved, there could potentially be up to ten of a race in that battle.) It's only when one leader leaves a shared space (or is killed) that the player is obligated to make sure either leader is not left with more than the usual 5 per race, otherwise that individual leader loses troops in excess of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
Hi Jon!

1. Correct
2. Correct
3a. Races (Wood Elves vs. High Elves) are different so you can have 5 and 5
3b. Beastman are considered one race (recruited from the same area is a good litmus test for this).
3c. Trolls are their own race
3d. Bugbears are their own race
3e. Wizards are their own race. We experimented with the idea you can only have one of each type of wizard. They are expensive so in the current set of rules there is the overall limit of 5, but this may officially change at some point during the rules update/revisions.
3f. Elites do count toward their racial cap (so you have interpreted this correctly).

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
1) the two armies can converge, but the rule of 5 does go immediately into effect so you have to reduce down to the rule of 5 limit.
2) You can have two armies in the same province and as long as each army is in compliance you are fine...BUT if you are attacked, your armies combine to defend and before combat you have to remove any units in excess of the rule of 5.

Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Apopka
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks for the responses. I'm painting my guys and will be using the color of their base to make it easier to keep track of overall race.

So all Centaurs, Minotaurs, Satyr will follow the same color scheme for their base.

Wood Elves and High Elves will very different colors for their bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Blume
msg tools
publisher
You are correct sir!

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.