Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Context: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641948/dominion-and-intrig...

So, soon we'll know which cards are being removed from the first two Dominion sets. But for the moment-- let's guess! Together!

Please vote for the cards you think will be removed. Resist the temptation to vote for cards you HOPE will be removed but don't think will be.

And if you happen to know the answers, don't vote, that's not fun.

[Update: The poll says I left Masquerade out; it lies. Masquerade's definitely in the set, do what you want with that.]

Poll: Dominion Second Editions change poll
Which SIX cards do you think are being removed from the Dominion base set in the Second Edition? (Moneylender, Mine and Throne Room are not listed, as it's been confirmed they're still in the set.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Adventurer
59.2% 58
Bureaucrat
35.7% 35
Cellar
7.1% 7
Chancellor
85.7% 84
Chapel
7.1% 7
Council Room
9.2% 9
Feast
61.2% 60
Festival
5.1% 5
Gardens
6.1% 6
Laboratory
4.1% 4
Library
27.6% 27
Market
2.0% 2
Militia
5.1% 5
Moat
4.1% 4
Remodel
7.1% 7
Smithy
3.1% 3
Spy
57.1% 56
Thief
58.2% 57
Village
1.0% 1
Witch
3.1% 3
Woodcutter
67.3% 66
Workshop
31.6% 31
Voters 98
What SIX cards do you think are being removed from Dominion: Intrigue in the Second Edition? (Masquerade is not listed.)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Baron
14.1% 12
Bridge
5.9% 5
Conspirator
14.1% 12
Coppersmith
48.2% 41
Courtyard
12.9% 11
Duke
11.8% 10
Great Hall
17.6% 15
Harem
11.8% 10
Ironworks
4.7% 4
Masquerade
10.6% 9
Mining Village
5.9% 5
Minion
15.3% 13
Nobles
4.7% 4
Pawn
16.5% 14
Saboteur
77.6% 66
Scout
60.0% 51
Secret Chamber
47.1% 40
Shanty Town
15.3% 13
Steward
2.4% 2
Swindler
25.9% 22
Torturer
14.1% 12
Trading Post
17.6% 15
Tribute
31.8% 27
Upgrade
4.7% 4
Wishing Well
52.9% 45
Voters 85
This poll is now closed.   99 answers
Poll created by grasa_total
Closes: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You did in fact list Masquerade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
You did in fact list Masquerade.

Damn. And I was so hoping this would be solid enough to pass peer review at the Skutsch Journal Of BGG Studies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moat has also been confirmed as still in the game owing to the fact that Donald comments on a slight colorisation tweak for the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
HEY! Go vote before you read further.

I am surprised to see so many votes for Thief. I hate the card but I have to buy it unless there are action cards that I can use to buy land. Aren't the cards they are removing supposedly cards no one buys when they are available? (Maybe this is my misunderstanding.)

What gives? Are voters voting for the cards they don't like instead of the worthless cards that never get bought? Or have I missed some strategy development that makes it unnecessary to fight Thief with Thief?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
Or have I missed some strategy development that makes it unnecessary to fight Thief with Thief?
I've won a 4-player game against three Thieves with a Village/Woodcutter engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Greaves
United States
SALEM
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt any of the 4 'pillars' of Dominion are getting removed. Chapel, Gardens, Thief, and Witch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remodel is almost certainly leaving, since it was not listed as gaining the "may" wording that Mine and Moneylender are. Feast is also probably gone for the same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterHendee wrote:
I am surprised to see so many votes for Thief. I hate the card but I have to buy it unless there are action cards that I can use to buy land. Aren't the cards they are removing supposedly cards no one buys when they are available? (Maybe this is my misunderstanding.)

I thought they were removing cards that made the game worse. In my experience, Thief is a must-buy in a few layouts and a trap for new players who overestimate its value in most layouts. Neither of those is fun.

I think Donald X also said some of the removed cards would be replaced with better versions of the same concept. I would imagine Thief could be one of those, if it's removed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:
Remodel is almost certainly leaving, since it was not listed as gaining the "may" wording that Mine and Moneylender are. Feast is also probably gone for the same reason.

The added "you may"s are for accountability; I can't tell whether you have Action cards in hand for Throne Room or Treasures for Moneylender or Mine. Remodel as no such issue; I can see how many cards you have in hand. I have no idea what Feast has to do with "you may".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Harrison
United States
Beavercreek
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Tineren wrote:

The added "you may"s are for accountability; I can't tell whether you have Action cards in hand for Throne Room or Treasures for Moneylender or Mine. Remodel as no such issue; I can see how many cards you have in hand. I have no idea what Feast has to do with "you may".

Ah OK, I see. That does make sense. I merely noted that he had listed 3 cards with "trash to do some effect" cards as gaining "you may", and then noticed there were some other cards with that type of effect that were not gaining "you may". But you are right that Remodel doesn't have the "keeping you honest" problem (and Feast certainly doesn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, who is voting for Library, that's a great card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tineren wrote:

I certainly hope it isn't. One of the most interesting and useful cards in the base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised by the votes for Thief and Woodcutter. Thief isn't a good card but entirely changes the dynamic of the game simply as a threat, and Woodcutter is often necessary when there aren't better +Buy cards around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Thief and Woodcutter are weak cards that rarely get bought. I'd be happy to see them replaced and/or upgraded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contigo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thief is a pretty poor card and is generally only interesting when multiple players have it (in which case, who wants to play a game like that anyways)?

The idea of removing treasure was done better with Pirate Ship.

Woodcutter is occasionally interesting (ie woodcutter + gardens, or non treasure money as above), but is filler much of the time. If they're looking to cut cards, it's a good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Jets
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm surprised by the huge number of votes for Wishing Well. It's not a huge power card but I have found it to be useful fairly often. It's especially good in kingdoms with heavy trashing where deck tracking is easier. It's also not a bad opener when early cycling is important and you can guess copper with a fairly high rate of success.

And it combos with Scout!...too bad that's not going to last...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
msg tools
I think that for the base game, there are 7 reasonable possibilities; adventurer, chancellor, bureaucrat, thief, spy, woodcutter, and feast. I'm not sure why there are votes for library or workshop though, as both are rather decent cards.

Intrigue is a bit messier, but I think the obvious first choices are secret chamber, tribute, scout, and saboteur. As the last two... court yard? Great Hall? Shanty town? Coppersmith? Pawn? Wishing well (although I think it is getting voted for more than it deserves)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I think it's important to consider that some of the new cards will be re-worked versions of the card they replace. Also, I can imagine there being an attempt to make the base game even more newbie-friendly - Chapel, Feast, Library, Thief may all be good and interesting cards for experienced players but can cause real confusion for beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I think it's important to consider that some of the new cards will be re-worked versions of the card they replace. Also, I can imagine there being an attempt to make the base game even more newbie-friendly - Chapel, Feast, Library, Thief may all be good and interesting cards for experienced players but can cause real confusion for beginners.

Agree, but D also needs to not have Big Money be optimal so much of the time; it needs to be better at generating money with action cards. I didn't vote for it, but I could see replacing Village with something more powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I would think Chapel is a card specifically aimed at newbies. The other trash-for-benefit cards don't succinctly underline the power of thinning your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel L
Australia
flag msg tools
chardir wrote:
Jonny5 wrote:
I would think Chapel is a card specifically aimed at newbies. The other trash-for-benefit cards don't succinctly underline the power of thinning your deck.

Trash-for-benefit cards have an obvious usefulness to them, so are more likely to be chosen by newbies compared to Chapel. In any case, the idea of thinning isn't such an advanced strategy that it warrants a good trasher being removed from the set to make it friendlier. And the card itself is very simple. Grab some cards and throw them in the trash pile. Done. Of all the trashers, Chapel is the best one for base Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
I think the answer to this question is in this post:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=3353.0

There Donald X. says that the Trash card should have been a mat and that Moneylender and Throne Room should say "may", which are confirmed changes in the second edition.

Here are the cards that he considers weak or problematic, and which probably will go away:

Dominion: Woodcutter, Feast, Chancellor, Spy, Thief.

Intrigue: Saboteur, Secret Chamber, Scout, Mining Village.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
So for those that already have a 1st edition chances are cards are removed that you actually like. So personally I'm glad I have a first edition as well (and will keep that) as chances are some cards that I actually liked will get changed or get replaced.

I'll be interested to see the actual changes on the other remaining cards and if those changes make it worth buying a complete new set or only an upgrade set is needed.

Either way, this is good news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
Chapel, Feast, Library, Thief may all be good and interesting cards for experienced players but can cause real confusion for beginners.

Though I don't know what DXV or Rio Grande thinks about this, I see a big difference between "cards that confuse beginners because they're better than beginners think" and "cards that confuse beginners because they're worse than beginners think".

Unexpectedly good cards make discovery fun. Unexpectedly bad cards... well, you need some, so that people learn their first impressions aren't always right. But a game doesn't need as many of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.