Hide
11 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: I dont know if I missed it but... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HelloIm Mazmo
msg tools
Can we play the original Evolution with Climate ? I mean, I never played it before and I thought it would be great to learn the "base game" first

Thanks for your time !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Short answer: yes you can. You will need to take out some cards from climate and ignore some icons on the cards that will not be used in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HelloIm Mazmo
msg tools
Thanks for answering ! Will it be written in the rulebook, how to play the base game and what to remove ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Entrecruzado
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Climate includes Evolution core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razhimkar wrote:
Thanks for answering ! Will it be written in the rulebook, how to play the base game and what to remove ?

No it won't.
But you can find details for doing it in update #4 on the KS campaign:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Based on the reviews I've seen so far there might not be much reason to play it without the climate rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Based on the reviews I've seen so far there might not be much reason to play it without the climate rules.

I tend to agree. From what Dominic has said, I think Evolution was intended to basically be a gateway game (but which also offered some depth of strategy), Climate is the gamer version, and the family version (whatever the one Target is selling) is supposed to be the even gateway-er version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Climate seems like a better version of evolution but for example for that also want to play it with children, the base game might be just the right lengh and complexity. So having two games in one is a good thing !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kickstarted the Climate upgrade kit and an extra set of base cards. My intention is to use the base game as a gateway for nongamers/semigamers. I'll be playing Climate with gamers and those who feel comfortable with the base game and request to move to something meatier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbhalla wrote:
I kickstarted the Climate upgrade kit and an extra set of base cards. My intention is to use the base game as a gateway for nongamers/semigamers. I'll be playing Climate with gamers and those who feel comfortable with the base game and request to move to something meatier.

I got the extra cards too and for the same reasons you did. However, after playing Climate at Washingcon, I don't think there is really a reason to use them since the climate track integrates very nicely into the game without being brain burning or overly complex. I think anybody who understands the base game can easily handle Climate so I intend to only teach Climate to newcomers. I should add that I also picked up Evolution the Beginning for family play and it's really enjoyable. My 8 year old likes it, especially when he cranks up a carnivore before anybody else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
schemaman wrote:
bbhalla wrote:

I got the extra cards too and for the same reasons you did. However, after playing Climate at Washingcon, I don't think there is really a reason to use them since the climate track integrates very nicely into the game without being brain burning or overly complex. I think anybody who understands the base game can easily handle Climate so I intend to only teach Climate to newcomers. I should add that I also picked up Evolution the Beginning for family play and it's really enjoyable. My 8 year old likes it, especially when he cranks up a carnivore before anybody else!

Thank you for bringing up what kept going through my head... Evolution: The Beginning is an obvious choice for introducing people to the brand. And it's also fantastic as 2-player game for gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.