Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Passage on a ship rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I remember reading somewhere that you can't return to the same port you embarked from (something about it being rather difficult to convince the captain to waste a voyage). But looking for it now, I can't seem to find it.

Was it in an older edition? If so that stinks. I loved that rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you simply can't because the card is already on the trail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
Except if you use Misdirect, right?

Or you could Wolf Form through the port you left embarked and to an adjacent city instead.

If memory serves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalamarth wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that you can't return to the same port you embarked from (something about it being rather difficult to convince the captain to waste a voyage). But looking for it now, I can't seem to find it.

Was it in an older edition? If so that stinks. I loved that rule!

As David says, you have the option of using Power cards to do this.

In first edition it was strictly prohibited for either hunters or Dracula to return to a previously visited area on the same voyage.

In second edition it was forbidden for hunters but things were slightly more woolly for Dracula. I think it was thought that the limitation because of cards on the trail would prevent it, but the situation where the trail cleared returning a card to the location deck did not seem to be considered and I have seen discussions as to whether or not Dracula can double back in that situation.

In third edition there is no limitation on either side other than cards being in the trail and as mentioned Dracula could get by this by using Misdirect and/or Wolf Form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Ah, yes. I was speaking strictly about the hunters. It's a shame they ditched this one. Very themey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Man

Tennessee
msg tools
Dalamarth wrote:
Ah, yes. I was speaking strictly about the hunters. It's a shame they ditched this one. Very themey.

I mean for something this minor you can always just implement a house rule. Thematically it makes a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps the hunters received word from ashore that Dracula was spotted somewhere near their point of debarkation, and they were able to convince the captain of the need to return to the chase.

Granted, they didn't have radio communications with ships at sea back then, but they certainly did have the means to communicate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny. I just taught this game to my girlfriend and I told her the rule that if her Hunters go to a Sea Zone from a Port, they can't go back to that same Port. I explained it as they are booking passage on a ship and that there aren't any ships that would just go out to sea and then come back.

I must have just remembered this rule from my 1st edition FoD.

I wonder why they chose to get rid of that rule. Was it too hard on the Hunters? Too hard to keep track of? Did they just forget it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I think in the interest of streamlining, they thought it wasn't necessary.

I may house rule it in. The thing about them convincing the captain is meh. The whole thing about the story is that they're the hunters. If they could so easily convince people of the peril they could have mustered an Army to go after him in the first place. But only they hunt him, because only they have witnessed the truth of what he is, and what his power can mean to humanity. Almost anyone else would think they're loons. They hunt him in secret. Not telling random sea captains that they need to take them back to their port of origin cause they need to murder this rich old guy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalamarth wrote:

I may house rule it in. The thing about them convincing the captain is meh. The whole thing about the story is that they're the hunters. If they could so easily convince people of the peril they could have mustered an Army to go after him in the first place. But only they hunt him, because only they have witnessed the truth of what he is, and what his power can mean to humanity. Almost anyone else would think they're loons. They hunt him in secret. Not telling random sea captains that they need to take them back to their port of origin cause they need to murder this rich old guy!

I assumed they would concoct some story to convince him, not tell the truth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Gopen
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
cheng wrote:
Dalamarth wrote:

I assumed they would concoct some story to convince him, not tell the truth.

Sure, but how easy is that? They likely aren't the only passengers. And we're talking about the Captain's livelihood!

The only hunter I can see having any success convincing a captain to completely abandon his voyage is Lord Godalming. Because money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.