T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » Rules

Subject: How do you deal with showing cards during encounters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J C
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The rules indicate that only players on a specific space can look at the cards there; others can only hear their interpretation of it. Do you think this applies to encounters too? Are the card holders supposed to grab the necessary shields themselves and simply describe the fight to their fellow players? We play this way, but it always feels odd, since everyone can see the dice rolls and shields...it feels like they're "there" anyway. I guess I'm asking...are we being too hardcore with these rules??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's the rules, that cards with skill checks involved are shown to all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, any card with a test I normally just put face up. Players are good at not looking at things they shouldnt do, but it has never really made a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My team plays the same way as you J C, the shields are put out, and the test card is kept face down. Other agents then know the scale of the challenge, and have the occupying agent's description, but, until each arrives on the test's space, the facts of the test aren't known for sure.

I can't think if there has been an actual example, but it's easy to conceive of a situation where the test renders an agent incapable of describing the situation accurately, or at all (there is something like that in APOD, but that wasn't a test), so it would be inappropriate to flip the card face up for others to see.

For me, it's best to follow the rules for card facings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I believe it's the rules, that cards with skill checks involved are shown to all.
Page 11 wrote:
TESTS

To face a test, place on the board below the card as many shields as indicated...

You're now ready to start the test - but before you do, return your card to the board face down. (The agents who aren't with you don't get to see it).
My emphasis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.