Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the buildings that allow the user to "Convert any number" of one resource to get that many of another resource + 2 (such as Mansion, Law Office, and Jail), is zero a valid number to convert? Had this come up during our first play tonight and our consensus was that you have to convert at least one to use the ability of the building, though the programmer in our midst argued that zero fits the requirement of "any number".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sjkellyfetti wrote:
For the buildings that allow the user to "Convert any number" of one resource to get that many of another resource + 2 (such as Mansion, Law Office, and Jail), is zero a valid number to convert? Had this come up during our first play tonight and our consensus was that you have to convert at least one to use the ability of the building, though the programmer in our midst argued that zero fits the requirement of "any number".

No, you need to at least convert 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Kelly
United States
Petersburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. Nothing like an official answer to shut that nonsense down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Smith
msg tools
Hahah, hey! That's no nonsense! Allowing zero is a pretty logical interpretation of the text as written, and I also assumed it was valid. Though I'm glad to have found this thread to confirm the intent of the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except games aren't computer programs and an action in a game that is present to allow conversion is going to require something to be converted. I put arguments based on computer logic in the same bucket as all other rules-lawyer-based shenanigans. "Ah, but if you look at it logically... I'm smart enough to convince you I should win" No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skeith27 wrote:
Hahah, hey! That's no nonsense! Allowing zero is a pretty logical interpretation of the text as written, and I also assumed it was valid. Though I'm glad to have found this thread to confirm the intent of the rule.

It's not so much the "zero" part that should be looked at, but the "resource" part. "Convert any number of one resource to get that many of another resource + 2". You have to have a resource to convert. You can't have zero of something, if that something doesn't exist in the first place

Just another different way of viewing it surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to expand on this... If I decide to convert one Gold to Law, would I receive 3 Law in total?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
fedspaz wrote:
to expand on this... If I decide to convert one Gold to Law, would I receive 3 Law in total?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
fedspaz wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for the fast response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.