Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've had the main game and the first expansion for a while, and played with and without it. I was glad to see this come out and will take a serious look at the next one when it becomes available.

As a solo player, I'm not very interested in attacking, defending or deactivating anything. I just want those VP.

First off, there's more in this expansion than All That Glitters. You get gold, and more VP and deactivate tokens. You get 60 cards instead of 48. If you're looking for one expansion to get, get this one and pass on All That Glitters. Or get it at a discount.

And yes, it would have been REALLY HELPFUL if there was some indicator which were expansion cards and which were base. I just wrote down a list, and I'm sure someone may make a bigger reference sheet. Like I said, I play solo and sometimes I just want a quick game- no expansions or other distractions. I've seen others suggest a mark of some kind- I don't see why the border of the face of the card couldn't have been colored...

Playing solo, it's a rotating market. That means I need to add multiples of 4 so the turns come out right. (You can add multiples of 5 if you're doing it the "hard" way.) The rulebook offers some more detailed suggestions on which cards to include, depending on what type of game you want to play. That will be the next play- I'll pull those cards and see how it plays out.

But this time, I added the Trade Post, Conservatory, Gardens, University, Tavern, Main Street, Bank and Courthouse cards. That gave me 84 cards to play. Yeah, that was probably too many.

Like the regular game, it takes a bit to get going. Had a few lines of the market go by without any purchases. Then I got the resources built up and a few pass tokens and started building. Got good or lucky, not sure which, and bought 2 of the University cards. With the small house on the board, this means another culture location on that column will generate a VP for you. I then went after more of the culture cards and eventually had two in all columns. That meant 6 VP every time it was deactivated.

So, careful use of the dice (and not wanting to gather resources) yielded 12 VP per turn on several turns. I ended up running out of VP tokens- I actually had to borrow 2 on the last turn of the game. With this expansion, the total VP tokens is 88. After all the turns (which was really too many) I had 90 VP. Then I had 39 from the board for a total of 129.

To summarize, I think this is a better expansion than All That Glitters. You just get more. And then you have to be careful- just adding more isn't always needed. If you play solo, taking different sets of cards and/or different numbers out of those sets can lead to quite a bit of variety in playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the nice session report! Glad you enjoy the game!

One quick note though: When playing solo, it is important to have exactly 60 cards in the deck. It's not enough to just have multiples of 4 (or 5). It must be exactly 60 because that's the "timer" of the game.

In other words, you have 15 rounds to play (in "normal" difficulty) or 12 rounds (in "hard").

By just adding more cards to the deck, you increase the number of available rounds (hence the very very high score in the end ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
avyssaleos wrote:

By just adding more cards to the deck, you increase the number of available rounds (hence the very very high score in the end ).

Welcome! And yes, getting all the cards organized (at least on paper) is a way to ensure I always hit 60. Honestly, I've just been too lazy to pull cards from the base set to make room for the expansions. But now there's LOTS to choose from.

And the extra info in the Crossroads rulebook helps! There's lots of "solo" challenges posted around, that may be a good challenge: Take a set of cards and see how high you can get...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.