Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About half way through our game tonight, we realized we were probably playing a rule incorrectly and wanted to check with others to see what others' interpretations are.

There are some buildings (Monster Trainers and Barracks for example) that make reference to a "port." We initially took this to mean any location on the board. For example, the Monster Trainers building gives you a sea serpent whenever you visit one of your ports. However, as the game progressed, it seemed these buildings were too powerful with this ability. In the example of the Monster Trainers building, the owner of the building could conquer a location, receive the spoils, and immediately visit said location, earning a sea serpent as a result of the Monster Trainers building.

We then began to realize that the word "port" on building cards probably refers only to the corner locations of the board. Is this correct, or is the Monster Trainers really really powerful? What exactly is a port?

By the way, I see the setup portion of the rules refer to the starting locations as "home ports." This could easily be interpreted to mean that central locations (once controlled by you) are your "non-home ports." Or one could take it to mean that only the home ports classify as "ports."

Help, please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We then began to realize that the word "port" on building cards probably refers only to the corner locations of the board. Is this correct

That's correct. It's the 4 corner locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Rosalia
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes correct, 4 corners are ports, the one you start on is your home port. There is also a home city that you never see (it is inland from your home port) that contains the buildings you buy or build in Stratic. I think they only point this out so that you don't feel like you've lost everything if your home port is taken (as mentioned in one of the building card bonuses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.