Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother in law loves Scrabble, and is a pretty hardcore player. However she has never played any boars game beyond the normal Monopoly, etc. Do you think the similarity to Scrabble here is enough to bridge that gap? She's older so probably resistant to any designer game and wouldn't understand the meaning of deck builder. Any chance this could appeal to someone like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Péter Muhi
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
mb
How can she be "pretty hardcore" if she's only played those games? Sorry, I misunderstood. Apparently, she's a hardcore Scrabble player.

Anyway, looking at the rules, they seem fairly easy to understand. I say it shouldn't be a problem but definitely wait for an answer from someone with personal experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dastardly Knave
msg tools
My farther in law meets for Scrabble tournaments every week and occasionally beats their resident uk level player. We played paperback with him and he picked it up quickly and enjoyed it. He wasn't a convert from Scrabble but would happily play more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
My mother in law loves Scrabble, and is a pretty hardcore player. However she has never played any boars game beyond the normal Monopoly, etc. Do you think the similarity to Scrabble here is enough to bridge that gap? She's older so probably resistant to any designer game and wouldn't understand the meaning of deck builder. Any chance this could appeal to someone like that?

I have it, and like it, but the concept of it being a deck builder is quite different to scrabble, perhaps even more simple a challenge (since you have mostly the same cards in your hand the whole game, and only make one word).

She might enjoy it, but I would see if you can borrow / loan a copy first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - it's incredibly easy to learn and teach. The only difficulty is understanding cost of card vs. value of card when played for some folks - and that should be easily distinguishable after you get used to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:

My mother-in-law (80 years old) loves Scrabble, and is a pretty hardcore player (felt she did poorly if she scored under 200 or something). She had not played many board games. We played and helped her along the first few games, but after about 3 games of Paperback, she caught onto the deck building part of the game and now she kills us every time she plays it. Her high score so far, in a regular (no special stuff) game is 77 points.

Don't bother with mentioning it's a deck builder, as you said the term doesn't mean anything to her. I never said anything to my mother-in-law about it being anything other than a card game. At first she didn't understand why she was buying certain cards over others, until, like I said her third game. That's when the light went off over her head, and it clicked for her why she would want this card with a letter C on it over that card with a letter C on it at this time during the game.

I would also highly recommend playing our house rule / variant that keeps the game moving. If after a 30 seconds to a minute, you can't come up with a word, throw your cards down on the table and ask your mother-in-law what she can come up with Keeps her more involved in the game and doesn't let the game bog down.

It has also led her into playing other games at the table with us as I slowly introduce her to new games. On her last visit, we played Power Grid and she loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Biggs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd guess part of the answer would be asking why she loves scrabble - I'm not a fan of that game as it has become (increasingly) about knowing how to use the high scoring short words and place them, whereas Paperback rewards long words or finding effecting combinations of powers on the letter cards. I'm planning on introducing PaperBack to some non-gamer friends of mine in a few weeks, one of whom is a big scrabble fan

Anthony Blake - do you think the values of some of the cards need to be changed if you're playing in the UK - we've got some differing spellings (particularly using -our rather than -or), but I'm not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Edgeler
msg tools
MillertimeRC wrote:

My mother (now retired) is also a hardcore scrabble player. Mostly played the normal monopoly-type games, but open to some new games; Catan is too complicated for her, but she's fine with Ticket to Ride. She was a big fan of Paperback when I introduced it to her. I think won the second game we played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
I would also highly recommend playing our house rule / variant that keeps the game moving. If after a 30 seconds to a minute, you can't come up with a word, throw your cards down on the table and ask your mother-in-law what she can come up with

Awesome advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.