BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The South Shall Rise (with Racism) Again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: normie_lives_matter [+] [View All]

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... there isn't a endemic, epidemic racial problem in this country. Particulary, in the South. They have risen above it.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/nc-gop-rep-charlotte-prote...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yes, when protesters of a dubious police shooting by a black officer against a black man under the authority of a black police chief riot, blame white people, denounce whites as "devils" and attack them indiscriminately there is, you could say, a "racial problem."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Racists like you are the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
Every time someone talks bad about the south, I like to remind them that they are mainly talking about Black America. Those southern states that many love to show as horribly poverty stricken, having low IQs, and being cesspools? Take a look at the racial demographics of them sometime.

Or you could consider the distribution of the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
Every time someone talks bad about the south, I like to remind them that they are mainly talking about Black America. Those southern states that many love to show as horribly poverty stricken, having low IQs, and being cesspools? Take a look at the racial demographics of them sometime.

But the money is distributed to Goldman Sachs and other investment banks, mostly in New York. It has nothing to with the South... Oh I see, maybe you are onto a good explanation for Southern poverty after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

But the money is distributed to Goldman Sachs and other investment banks, mostly in New York. It has nothing to with the South... Oh I see, maybe you are onto a good explanation for Southern poverty after all.

I meant the money within the south. Even the poorest US state would be quite a rich country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
talk about a skewed perspective. When people talk derogatively about the south they are talking about the stereotype pickup driving,confederate flag flying,the South will rise again muttering, mullet loving Americans. Not the black people amongst them who have been kept poor by latent and overt racism.

EDIT: Had to fix many sloppy phone use generated typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DavidDearlove wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

I meant the money within the south. Even the poorest US state would be quite a rich country.

Oh, I agree. Even the poorest U.S. state could become a very rich country if it seceded from the United States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

It's always money with the left. IT'S CULTURE THAT'S THE ISSUE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Farnum
msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
talk about a asked perspective. When people talk derogatively About the south they are talking about the stereotype pickup driving,confederate flash flying,the South will rise again muttering, mullet loving Americans. Not the black people amongst them who have been kept poor by latent and overt racism.

Exactly! They will never be able to succeed until we stop forcing them to drop out of school. We need to stop forcing them to commit a much higher
Per capita crime rate. We need to stop tearing their families apart. Until we put laws into effect to stop all these civil injustices..... Hold on. What year is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knucklesamwich wrote:
Exactly! They will never be able to succeed until we stop forcing them to drop out of school. We need to stop forcing them to commit a much higher
Per capita crime rate. We need to stop tearing their families apart. Until we put laws into effect to stop all these civil injustices..... Hold on. What year is it?
Are we changing the subject from the racists in the South to the effects that racism has on a culture over an extended time? I just want to be clear where the goal posts are before I start kicking field goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:

1) OP makes a thread about racism in the South.

2) Some dude named "Shane" from Georgia counters with: "We're not racist! The reason the South sucks is because of all the stupid, poor black people!"

Nice way to prove the OP's point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knucklesamwich wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
talk about a asked perspective. When people talk derogatively About the south they are talking about the stereotype pickup driving,confederate flash flying,the South will rise again muttering, mullet loving Americans. Not the black people amongst them who have been kept poor by latent and overt racism.

I couldn't find statistics on drop out rates for race adjusted by income. The dropout rates seem likely to be about the same for poor white kids as poor black kids given that black people are so much poorer on average. The startling thing I found is how much higher the Hispanic dropout rate was. Is this a language issue.
I couldn't find statistics on one parent families adjusted for both race and income.
But carry on having these views without data, which I am sure could be obtained with more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the actions of black looters and rioters influence what people in the south think of black people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diabolik771 wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

I think your political compass is a bit skewed if you think I'm a leftist. People can yell their heads off about culture without making any progress. You can get much farther in talking about money. The basic facts about money are rarely discussed at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do the actions of black looters and rioters influence what people in the south think of black people?
If they are smart, then no. What it would influence is what they think about those people looting and rioting. Not "black people". I can bet you all of the geekgold in BGG that there were thousands of black people sitting at home not rioting and not looting. Smart people realize that. Hate filled people looking for an excuse to prove that their ignorant fears are true are another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiraboshi wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

I think your political compass is a bit skewed if you think I'm a leftist. People can yell their heads off about culture without making any progress. You can get much farther in talking about money. The basic facts about money are rarely discussed at all.

DavidDearLove has a subscription to "Leftist Today" from my experience of his posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diabolik771 wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
Kiraboshi wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
flamespeak wrote:

DavidDearLove has a subscription to "Leftist Today" from my experience of his posts.

That seems likely. I was just having some fun deliberately misinterpreting his posts to make my own points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:

I think you would be surprised by my politics. Certainly leftist by US standards but who isn't in Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
According to the Right in the USA, anyone who doesn't read "Reich Nostalgia Weekly" is a Leftist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flamespeak wrote:
I wasn't aware that pointing out how the south is far from nothing but a collection of white hillbillies and is in fact home to 80% of the black population in the country and every time someone tries to call the south regressive, stupid, inbred cousin fuckers or other such nonsense they are actually insulting Black America was me basically throwing on a clan outfit and burning crosses on the board.
Well, now you know.

Seriously, you created a strawman position. Nobody ignores the blacks in the south. The South is a complex place with lots of people, but when people talk about "south will rise again" people they are talking about racist whites in the south, not the whole south. So then you tried to rope in all the black population and blame them for the South's problems. That is where you got the hood out of the drawer and got your post hole digger ready for your cross raising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
flamespeak wrote:
I wasn't aware that pointing out how the south is far from nothing but a collection of white hillbillies and is in fact home to 80% of the black population in the country and every time someone tries to call the south regressive, stupid, inbred cousin fuckers or other such nonsense they are actually insulting Black America was me basically throwing on a clan outfit and burning crosses on the board.
Well, now you know.

Seriously, you created a strawman position. Nobody ignores the blacks in the south. The South is a complex place with lots of people, but when people talk about "south will rise again" people they are talking about racist whites in the south, not the whole south. So then you tried to rope in all the black population and blame them for the South's problems. That is where you got the hood out of the drawer and got your post hole digger ready for your cross raising.
They are talking about the confederacy, which was a salve holding state.

It is hard to see it as any thing other then "white on top again".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Interesting that our leading Civil Rights Champion, the estimable Darthugo, lumps an entire region and all its white inhabitants into one inchoate mass and brands them as "racists." Darth, isn't that what RACISTS do?

Beyond that, however, the assumption that the "South" is as racist now as it ever was can only be asserted by people who do not nor have ever lived in southern states but also aren't interested in facts, only diatribes.

Look, any reasonably intelligent person who lives in the South can tell you about how racism exists there. But while it may not be on the wane at this moment, it has declined precipitously over the past 50 years. You want a stark example? Interracial marriage was once a hanging offense (no trial needed). Now, it's pretty much a "meh" moment for people. There are black business people, black politicians, black police chiefs, black doctors, black judges. No one in their right mind would say racism against blacks has been eradicated or that not much more needs to be done, but damn, they used lynch black guys for just looking at a white woman or not stepping off the sidewalk fast enough when white people were walking there.

But there are idiots who still judge on the basis of skin color, and the US Congressman from North Carolina is a prime example of it.

And while Darth is bashing on the South, may I remind you of the racist incidents involved black men and police occurring in LOS ANGELES, NEW YORK CITY, CHICAGO, and PHILADELPHIA? I know I went to school in Oklahoma, so I have the East Coast equivalent of a third-grade (special) education, but I don't remember any of those cities flying the Stars and Bars during the Civil War. Racism is not only a national issue, it's a global issue.

But hey Darth, you keep truckin', bro. Keep fighting racism by being, well, a racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
And while Darth is bashing on the South, may I remind you of the racist incidents involved black men and police occurring in LOS ANGELES, NEW YORK CITY, CHICAGO, and PHILADELPHIA? I know I went to school in Oklahoma, so I have the East Coast equivalent of a third-grade (special) education, but I don't remember any of those cities flying the Stars and Bars during the Civil War. Racism is not only a national issue, it's a global issue.

But hey Darth, you keep truckin', bro. Keep fighting racism by being, well, a racist.
And as a citizen of the North, I would not hesitate to admit that it has its fair share of racists. The only difference in my perception is that they don't have this fantasy of returning to a White 19th century utopia where their power is returned and wealth is measured by how many coloreds they own. Racists in the north don't have a focus for their racism that includes being oppressed since the War Of Northern Aggression. That adds a bit of dysfunctional cultural identity to southern racists that helps in organizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
When people talk derogatively about the south they are talking about the stereotype pickup driving,confederate flag flying,the South will rise again muttering, mullet loving Americans.

Racist.

Quote:
Not the black people amongst them who have been kept poor by latent and overt racism.

I . . . think you're oversimplifying.

TheChin! wrote:
And as a citizen of the North, I would not hesitate to admit that it has its fair share of racists. The only difference in my perception is that they don't have this fantasy of returning to a White 19th century utopia where their power is returned and wealth is measured by how many coloreds they own.

Wow. That's how you think of the south? You are a bigot. A real honest-to-goodness bigot. Please educate yourself. Spend some time down there.

Did you realize that black people are fleeing northern cities like New York and returning to the south in astounding numbers? If the south is as awful as you imagine in your hatey heart, why would they do that?

Huh? I thought I was pretty clear I was talking about a specific group of people who are racists. I made a point of saying I wasn't talking about the whole south. I was comparing racists in the north to racists in the south, not whites in the north to whites in the south. I'm not sure how you misconstrued that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.