United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking especially of the Arkham Horror kind of standees, which exhibit an actual sense of character rather than just some biped as seen from 60 yards away.

I undertand using minis when you need to know where the figure is facing, etc. But otherwise I have no idea why people think so highly of figures over faces. I guess people bizarrely think that plastic is worth something, or that a 3d lump is inherently more interesting than a well-painted 2d character -- which is sort of like preferring a Micky Mouse cartoon over a Caravaggio because it moves.

(Yes, I know there are artistic minis; but even most of those don't evoke character like a standee face can.)

In this game in particular, it doesn't make much sense to have figures, who are hard to tell apart at a glance, looming over towns with which they have no relationship in terms of scale (and over the cultists, who are about as scary as dwarven children in contrast).

But, still, the game's pretty fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
The cool thing is that its really easy and cheap to make standees and you can make your own.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html

I prefer the mini's, though. devil


Wow, cool -- there's something I can put all those extra Fantasy Flight bases in...

But most of those still have the problem of being figures, not faces. What I need to do is shrink down copies of the Arkham Horror ones, to fit this smaller board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Wretched Git, I'm one of those who prefers minis every time as I feel they have more presence on the table and can be recognised from any angle. Plus they make games more appealing to my daughters than bits of card would. I'd always be willing to pay more to have minis in a game rather than standees, and in Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu I think the minis are well done and I particularly love the spectral teal colour of the cultists and Shoggoths.

But in your case I'm sure you could make your own standees then make a little money selling the minis. I respect the fact that you're doing something about it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
argentetbury wrote:
Hi Wretched Git, I'm one of those who prefers minis every time as I feel they have more presence on the table and can be recognised from any angle. Plus they make games more appealing to my daughters than bits of card would. I'd always be willing to pay more to have minis in a game rather than standees, and in Pandemic Reign of Cthulhu I think the minis are well done and I particularly love the spectral teal colour of the cultists and Shoggoths.


The multiple angle point is a good one. And I don't argue that the cultists shouldn't be minis, objects, as they're too numerous for anything else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point.
When I heard there would be minis, I was happy, but because I paint mine. If it were not the case, the standee would have been prefered, for the heroes at east.
One thing that I don't like is how disproportional they are. The cultists look like Jawas!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Segundo
Brazil
Belem
Para
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
I'm thinking especially of the Arkham Horror kind of standees, which exhibit an actual sense of character rather than just some biped as seen from 60 yards away.

I undertand using minis when you need to know where the figure is facing, etc. But otherwise I have no idea why people think so highly of figures over faces. I guess people bizarrely think that plastic is worth something, or that a 3d lump is inherently more interesting than a well-painted 2d character -- which is sort of like preferring a Micky Mouse cartoon over a Caravaggio because it moves.

(Yes, I know there are artistic minis; but even most of those don't evoke character like a standee face can.)

In this game in particular, it doesn't make much sense to have figures, who are hard to tell apart at a glance, looming over towns with which they have no relationship in terms of scale (and over the cultists, who are about as scary as dwarven children in contrast).

But, still, the game's pretty fun.


if you are willing to sell the cultists and shoggoths miniatures, I would like to buy them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsecond wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
I'm thinking especially of the Arkham Horror kind of standees, which exhibit an actual sense of character rather than just some biped as seen from 60 yards away.

I undertand using minis when you need to know where the figure is facing, etc. But otherwise I have no idea why people think so highly of figures over faces. I guess people bizarrely think that plastic is worth something, or that a 3d lump is inherently more interesting than a well-painted 2d character -- which is sort of like preferring a Micky Mouse cartoon over a Caravaggio because it moves.

(Yes, I know there are artistic minis; but even most of those don't evoke character like a standee face can.)

In this game in particular, it doesn't make much sense to have figures, who are hard to tell apart at a glance, looming over towns with which they have no relationship in terms of scale (and over the cultists, who are about as scary as dwarven children in contrast).

But, still, the game's pretty fun.


if you are willing to sell the cultists and shoggoths miniatures, I would like to buy them.


Unfortunately, those are the ones I'd like to keep! I don't think Shoggoths have faces anyway (?) That's a creature best expressed as a full body.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Null Field wrote:
The cool thing is that its really easy and cheap to make standees and you can make your own.

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html

I prefer the mini's, though. devil


Bandwidth limit exceeded.... guess a lot of people headed there to check it out.
shake

Hope I remember to go there in another few weeks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy H
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
I'm thinking especially of the Arkham Horror kind of standees, which exhibit an actual sense of character rather than just some biped as seen from 60 yards away.

I undertand using minis when you need to know where the figure is facing, etc. But otherwise I have no idea why people think so highly of figures over faces. I guess people bizarrely think that plastic is worth something, or that a 3d lump is inherently more interesting than a well-painted 2d character -- which is sort of like preferring a Micky Mouse cartoon over a Caravaggio because it moves.

(Yes, I know there are artistic minis; but even most of those don't evoke character like a standee face can.)

In this game in particular, it doesn't make much sense to have figures, who are hard to tell apart at a glance, looming over towns with which they have no relationship in terms of scale (and over the cultists, who are about as scary as dwarven children in contrast).



First off, Arkham Horror has a way bigger board - standees for this would be tiny and fall over if the players breathed too hard.

Secondly miniatures are more durable, and are easier and more pleasant to move around than standees (try playing standee chess and see how much you like it.)

Thirdly in terms of scale relationships, the board/map itself has no real scale at all, and standees would make no difference. The game is completely abstract in terms of scale, with the cultists scaled so as not to crowd the board. The Shoggoths are tiny - if they were in scale to the investigators they'd dominate the board and get in the way.

Personally I haven't had any problems telling the figures apart - they're identical to the pictures on the character cards.

P.S. Men in long flowing dresses are never scary are they? Well, unless they're priests...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
I guess people bizarrely think that plastic is worth something, or that a 3d lump is inherently more interesting than a well-painted 2d character -- which is sort of like preferring a Micky Mouse cartoon over a Caravaggio because it moves.


Unrelated to it's moving, but I do prefer Micky Mouse cartoons to a Caravaggio.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
guyblin wrote:
First off, Arkham Horror has a way bigger board - standees for this would be tiny and fall over if the players breathed too hard.

Secondly miniatures are more durable, and are easier and more pleasant to move around than standees (try playing standee chess and see how much you like it.)

Thirdly in terms of scale relationships, the board/map itself has no real scale at all, and standees would make no difference. The game is completely abstract in terms of scale, with the cultists scaled so as not to crowd the board. The Shoggoths are tiny - if they were in scale to the investigators they'd dominate the board and get in the way.

Personally I haven't had any problems telling the figures apart - they're identical to the pictures on the character cards.

P.S. Men in long flowing dresses are never scary are they? Well, unless they're priests...


Again, my only beef is with the investigators as minis. The enemies are fine as minis, for the reasons you mention. You're probably right that standees would be small and topply for the size of the board; but you could have good, heavy bases for them instead of the light plastic things normally used.

Your point about the irrelevancy of scale in this game only underscores the point I was making. Normally one of the better reasons to have minis is that they jibe with the scale of the environment that they're in. But they don't here, so... I'd rather have faces and characters in front of me rather than interchangeable body-outlines.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirsten Blom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
This is my amazing dog Moxxi. She supports us gaming by trying to steal our food :P
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I love mini's. We paint them here. Always part of the fun of starting a new game. Although I wished the cultists were a bit bigger in this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Kuess wrote:
Oh I love mini's. We paint them here. Always part of the fun of starting a new game. Although I wished the cultists were a bit bigger in this game.


I think there would be more downsides than upsides to that.

(+) They would look more menacing and not so "cute"
(+) Easier to paint

(-) Take up more space in a tray
(-) 3 Cultists would look piled up on single space
(-) Less contrast between Cultists/Investigators

Personally, I think they did a perfect job on mini sculpts/sizes.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johann Stralau
msg tools
Wretched Git wrote:
I'm thinking especially of the Arkham Horror kind of standees, which exhibit an actual sense of character rather than just some biped as seen from 60 yards away.

I undertand using minis when you need to know where the figure is facing, etc. But otherwise I have no idea why people think so highly of figures over faces.


Because pawns simply suck, when you are playing with 3+ players. With 2 players it's okay, I agree.

But when your investigator is nothing but a narrow line of cardboard because you're looking at it from the side, it's just annoying and not cool at all.

Also, please do not compare AH with this game. The comparison doesn't work, because you have like a billion different monster types in AH, and only 2 in RoC. You could replace cultists and shoggoths in this game with basically everything. You couldn't replace the monster tokens in AH with anything (except for minis, but even then you'll need the tokens due to their stats).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Krokobold wrote:
Also, please do not compare AH with this game. The comparison doesn't work, because you have like a billion different monster types in AH, and only 2 in RoC. You could replace cultists and shoggoths in this game with basically everything. You couldn't replace the monster tokens in AH with anything (except for minis, but even then you'll need the tokens due to their stats).


Well, if I had been talking about the monsters, as opposed to the investigators, your objection might make sense...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.