Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was super thrilled to get to play Cry Havoc twice tonight. "But you're the designer?" you ask. True, but often times, once the game comes out, 99.99% of my time spent with the game is demoing and teaching it to others. I didn't play it once at Gen Con! Boo, I say. And, my August and most of September have been bereft of game nights (aka ability to play bigger games), so I was thrilled to get to play tonight.

I deliberately chose Machines and gave my friend Antonio, one of the late balance testers and a sharp gamer the Humans. Basically, I wanted to make it as difficult as possible for myself.

Game 1: Antonio Humans vs. Grant Machines
4 Rounds - Humans won by a smidge at the end. They had Scouting, yes, which is powerful, but in the second game they didn't, and using Airfield they accomplished the same result.

As the machines I had Moving City and Firepower, and while I used the latter to my advantage, I didn't use it enough. I made a few tactical blunders, such as a mid-game Reinforcement that wasted both cards and an action, and strategic blunders, such as splitting my forces to both sides of the planet.

I SHOULD have charged head first into the center to get the 5 point Crystal region AND slaughtered Trogs using Firepower. But, I screwed up and he squeaked by!

In the last round I used Bunker to add 4 Units to a Region, which was satisfying, but his Tactics were too much for me.

I was aggressive about using Enable Scoring -- I prevented him from using it a few times, but I got a bit too aggressive and helped him in cases where I desperately needed that other Action.

I could see my momentum leaving around late Round 3. I didn't have sufficient Tactics and he was just managing his card economy much better.

Game 2: Antonio Humans vs. Grant Machines
5 Rounds - Machines won in final Enable Scoring. Humans had Veteran Forces, which helped him almost every round, but I had Transform, which was AMAZING. I used it often to setup a shred drone or factory, activate it, then use Transform to further reinforce my forward areas.

I focused my attacks on just the right flank, and aggressively moved into regions to pin his units, shred them down, use Transform to defend, and ultimately take the REgions.

By focusing, I was able to take advantage of the Regroups I drew, my shred drones, my factories, and Moving buildings around. I also concentrated the Crystals, so when final scoring came around, these regions were worth a lot, and the regions he took using airfield were literally worthless. I scored 17 points in final scoring...he scored zero. This made up for the 15 or so points he scored using skills over the few rounds.

Was super excited to come out on top and had a lot of fun using Transform. Yeah yeah, surprise surprise, designer likes his game. But, I had a lot of fun and was thrilled to sit down and play instead of teach for once!

grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe sedita
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks for this double run-through, Grant! I just got my copy today and can't wait to play it. Think I'll use machines... >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ghettoimp wrote:
Thanks for this double run-through, Grant! I just got my copy today and can't wait to play it. Think I'll use machines... >

They are tough to play. They leave little room for error and you need to be focused and aggressive. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
Great read! More proof I am just a bad Machines player! lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
Nice. I had some similar experiences with MvsH.

I won both games we played. Perhaps because I planned out my moves better? Maybe because I altered my strategies for each faction? I was lucky? I dunno.

In the game where I played humans I put a strong focus on expansion regardless of if I could put guys down. I didn't have scouting, but I took strong advantage of occupation. I did mistime one, and the machines caught up to my points in round three, but my friend ran out of the things to snipe and wasn't able to gain control of enough of my regions in time to overtake me. By the time he did take some, I had already gained too many points and I won.

In the second game, I was ultra aggressive in keeping his units off the board. He had scouting, which gave him a super fast early game lead and it was looking hopeless for awhile. I actually openly thought about quitting so we could just restart and play a hopefully "fair" game with the time we had left! Eventually I was able to regain control over empty areas by spreading my machines thin, taking advantage of my factories for quick "movement." By the time he was able to put a formidable number of humans back into his HQ I locked down all but one adjacent region using a handful of guys plus a buttload of bunkers. It was glorious and I nearly lapped him on the score track by the end of round 5.

One strategy I used in the first game was to ignore the machines when they got big sniping power. I instead went for the Trogs since they were much easier to defeat for region control. There was a key battle where I went into a region adjacent to a measly two machines. I took out the Trogs despite my friend using a couple tactics cards and was able to hold this region for the duration of the game. It wasn't the 5-crystal region but it served as a crucial area for future missions, including securing that center region.

I LOVE THIS GAME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Czaus
Poland
Giżycko
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
I like this game but machines generate not enough points to win. I play only games with 4 players (6 games) and every time as machines. This race is very frustrating. Cool buildings and great firepower is not enough. One bad turn/action and its game over. You will be far behind. Other factions are more flexible and exciting to control. With machines its hard work with no margin for error and not so satisfying outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan McKinney
msg tools
mb
chaos1981ol wrote:
I like this game but machines generate not enough points to win. I play only games with 4 players (6 games) and every time as machines. This race is very frustrating. Cool buildings and great firepower is not enough. One bad turn/action and its game over. You will be far behind. Other factions are more flexible and exciting to control. With machines its hard work with no margin for error and not so satisfying outcome.

I haven't played a 4p game yet, but may I suggest killing the enemy units, then moving into their regions? Also, remember the game is about points. Sometimes it is better to secure crystals instead of attacking regions/units. Don't forget to use your bunkers! Machines have a mobility advantage over Humans and Pilgrims since they can very easily put units onto remote spaces on the board.

As an alternative, choose another faction in your next game. 6 games in a row as the same faction! Your abilities might lie in the Humans, Pilgrims, or Trogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Czaus
Poland
Giżycko
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
qklilx wrote:
chaos1981ol wrote:

I haven't played a 4p game yet, but may I suggest killing the enemy units, then moving into their regions? Also, remember the game is about points. Sometimes it is better to secure crystals instead of attacking regions/units. Don't forget to use your bunkers! Machines have a mobility advantage over Humans and Pilgrims since they can very easily put units onto remote spaces on the board.

As an alternative, choose another faction in your next game. 6 games in a row as the same faction! Your abilities might lie in the Humans, Pilgrims, or Trogs.

I don't play with the same group every time. Game is mine and i have played it the most times. That is why i always take the hardest faction. I know much about machines but even with first time players it is hard to keep up with points. Trogs and Humans always are in first or second place. They get better start and in almost every game make enough points to shorten play time by one round. I finish about 10 point behind 1st player. Maybe that 5th round would change it i dont know. I must try 2 player game. Maybe when you have only one oponent machines are better. But i think this kind of games should be played with more players. I bet there is efficient way to win 4 player game and i will not stop before i find it. I only think that other factions can do multiple things to gather easy extra points. But when i finaly win i will feel good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.