Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the situation:

I want to take a Glossary page on an intranet and create a text field where someone can enter the word they are looking for and it jumps to that bookmark on the page.

Not a search engine, I don't want to find every occurance of a word. More like a text based jump menu.

Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Are you talking about that thing that comes up with the # symbol in the URL? I think those are called anchors. Here's some information about how to do that:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's pretty nice stuff, but setting up the named anchor isn't the question. The question is how do I get the data from a user to jump to that anchor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Ah, like implementing the browser's "find" feature directly into the webpage. Can't help you there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost, but I need it to go to a specific entry, not do a search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
At last count there were over 67,000 websites better suited to addressing your question than this one. Ignoring that, however, there are exactly 374 officially-approved (by the HTML Society of Atlantis) methods of doing what you require, but each and every one of them has been discredited by New England's SPRI (Society for the Prevention of Ridiculous Interfaces). Professor Hoffman has a rather lengthy footnote on page 2789 of the methods catalog describing just how foolish it is to hope that a user knows what to enter into an entry field on any given day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
At last count there were over 67,000 websites better suited to addressing your question than this one.

Yes, but I don't want to bother registering there.

MisterCranky wrote:
how foolish it is to hope that a user knows what to enter into an entry field on any given day.

It wasn't my idea, I'm just supposed to make it work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like this might work for you (link below). You'd need to change "glossary.html" to the name of your page, or better yet, make it a variable. And of course drop anchors into the body of the text to jump to.

I couldn't put the script into BGG (I tried using the "code" and "quote" tags without luck), but I posted it here:

http://www.jrrb.com/javascript.html

edit: you might want to consider a drop-down list of common words, rather than a text box. As MisterCranky notes, the user wouldn't have to guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it!

hmtl#"+

duh

I couldn't figure out the way to integrate the anchor name into it.

Thanks so much. GG on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
edit: you might want to consider a drop-down list of common words, rather than a text box. As MisterCranky notes, the user wouldn't have to guess...

I can't do that for 2 reasons.

1) If its common, no one needs the definition

2) I won't let Cranky think he had a good idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

2) I won't let Cranky think he had a good idea

Thanks for the GG's!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a matter of me thinking I had a good idea--it's a matter of me knowing that you (or your overlords) had a bad one. A pull-down or scrolling list of available jumps is FAR preferable to the specification that you described. My 5000 years in data processing trumps your infantile level of experience every time. The fact that you even have to ask questions about HTML diminishes your stature relative to my own so severely that I inadvertently stepped on you on my way to the submit button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.