Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Paul Grogan and welcome to the first in a series of sneak preview articles for the game Adrenaline, a new game from designer Filip Neduk and published by Czech Games Edition, due for release at Spiel 2016.

In this preview, I’m going to be covering the theme of the game and the core mechanics.
Warning! In this game, you get to shoot flamethrowers at your friends.

The Setting
<Enable deep cinematic voice>
In a world of savage chaos, five combatants are locked inside a deadly arena. Armed with sophisticated weaponry, their mission is to kill or be killed.
<clears throat>

Ok, enough of that nonsense, this game is simple. Grab a gun and some ammo, and start shooting. You never miss, and when you get shot, you get faster!

Gameplay
(Image from the upcoming digital rules video)

In a game of Adrenaline, players take it in turns to move their figure around the arena, picking up weapons and ammo and trying to damage their opponents. When one combatant has taken lethal damage, they are killed and removed from the board. Points are then allocated to all players responsible for their death, with the player who did the most damage getting more points, obviously.
Then the dead player respawns, just like that. It’s as if all those bullet wounds and losing an arm to a rocket blast didn’t actually happen! After there have been a certain number of deaths, final countdown happens and then the game ends. Playing music from the 1980’s is also recommended at this point in the game.
The player with the most points wins the game (just for a change).

Actions
On your turn, you get to perform 2 actions, and you have 3 to choose from which are shown on the left side of your Player board. You may perform the same action twice. I guess you could also skip an action if you really wanted to, but that would be really silly, don’t do that. I wish I’d never mentioned it, it’s not even in the rulebook!

The 3 actions are shown on the left side of your player board (the top three things on the left of this image)

Run Around: Move up to 3 spaces on the board. Note that just like in real life, you cannot move diagonally.
Grab Something: You can move 1 space and then pick something up. There are two types of thing to pick up in Adrenaline, weapons and ammo. I’ll explain these more later.
Shoot Someone: Use a weapon to deal damage to one or more opponents. Shouting a battle cry is optional, but recommended.

At the end of your turn, you get to reload any of your weapons, as long as you have the correct ammo. This will become clearer later on, but the important thing to remember is that reloading is not an action, and you can only do it at the end of the turn.

Adrenaline Actions

The reason the game is called Adrenaline is that as you take damage, your adrenaline levels rise, and you get bigger, better, faster, and stronger. Ok, maybe not bigger, but you get faster.
This is represented in the game by Adrenaline Actions which unlock once you have taken 3 damage and 6 damage accordingly.

The first Adrenaline Action allows you to move up to 2 spaces and pick something up, and the second Adrenaline Action allows you to move 1 space before you attack. Perfect for just getting into the right position before you unleash your devastating attack.

That’s enough for Part 1. In part 2, I’ll tell you about ammo and weapons!

Thanks for reading.
Paul Grogan
Gaming Rules!
CGE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
You know those websites that have the "show XX items"?
Then you can change it from showing 10, to showing 20, to showing 50

I really wish i could just click "show ALL" right now

That's all you're giving us (for now)?
cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Møller
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this game. There's a reason why it's one of my most anticipated games at Essen SPIEL: http://tabletoptogether.com/2016/09/15/essen-spiel-16-most-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid so. They take time to write, check, rewrite, edit, rewrite, and create the images. And I'm doing 12 other things too (not even joking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I think i gotta love this game :-)
Will it be released only in english or in other languages like german too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Birner
Germany
Bayreuth
flag msg tools
He's no good to me dead!
mbmbmbmbmb
I already wrote an email to CGE and asked how language dependant this game is.
The game just works with symbols. The only ingame text are weapon names like "machine gun".
As long as you understand the rulebook and you can explain it you can buy the english edition :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pellaeon wrote:
I think i gotta love this game :-)
Will it be released only in english or in other languages like german too?
not 100% sure. Best to ask CGE on FB or Twitter that one. I would assume it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.R. Knight
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you just take my money already and ship me this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
I'm hoping this means that the Kings Golem previews are going up soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see the previews coming through for this one, it was easily the best new game I played at UK Games Expo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea when we can expect NA distribution? I've been looking forward to this one since GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
Nice to see the previews coming through for this one, it was easily the best new game I played at UK Games Expo.

Ditto. As former FPS player, it felt as close to that 'adrenaline' rush too in trying to maximise your kills/score. One of my must-buys at Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the map modular? Or is it a set arena?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BreakingPoint0 wrote:
Is the map modular? Or is it a set arena?

It's split in half, and each side can be changed for bigger or smaller arena. So, 4 different configurations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play this at GenCon. It was absolutely fantastic. You can explain the game in under 2 minutes (which isn't always true with CGE games) but there was definitely depth in the play of the game.

The complexity comes in all the different weapons and such, but those can be explained as they come up.

They were using the Tzolkin skulls for markers in the game....I hope something similar makes it to retail...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vytrhlík
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CGE usually release their games at least in EN and especially in DE for Essen and other languages follow. So I would bet it will have german version .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great overview Paul, Looks to be a lot of fun this one.

It struck me the other day while flicking through the new CGE booklet that they have started putting in their games ( like FFG) CGE make some stellar and fun games, and I have most in my collection.

I think that particular collection is going to grow again this year!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming all players have the same adrenaline actions, and they can each be activated once per turn in addition to your normal actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
They were using the Tzolkin skulls for markers in the game....I hope something similar makes it to retail...
You can see them on the image of the video in the preview

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomlikeabomb wrote:
I'm assuming all players have the same adrenaline actions, and they can each be activated once per turn in addition to your normal actions?

Yes. You still only get 2 actions though, so in effect they "replace" some of the basic actions, as they are just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Gent
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the preview Paul, very much looking forward to this one!

Are the images stills from the Gaming Rules! video you are putting together at the moment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MS121HAZEL wrote:
Thanks for the preview Paul, very much looking forward to this one!

Are the images stills from the Gaming Rules! video you are putting together at the moment?

The first one is. Check the caption.
The other two I just knocked up for this preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice the sculpts look like different alien species. Is there any asymmetry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the version at UKGE the characters were all the same. The variety is all in the copious selection of guns and gadgets you pick up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarnop wrote:
In the version at UKGE the characters were all the same. The variety is all in the copious selection of guns and gadgets you pick up

As you can see on the info on the game page, there will be 5 different races but no different player powers. They apparently experimented with them but it just didn't work.
Personally I'm not a fan of the alien races, I liked the human figures of the prototype better...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.