William Wood
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Sometimes I see a suggestion to replace a Web link with nothing, but when I click on the Web link, it works!

Is there more to the story than this? Why would I approve this? Is this company being punished for some reason? Or is it simply an error?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Usually because the page that it is being directed to is not correct. I brought this up recently because while most of these cases the links truly are broken, some are still directing to valid sites. Just use your best judgement - if the link looks like it is being directed to the correct site, decline it. If it is the right site but maybe a wrong area, then approve it and suggest a better link a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4ever wrote:
Sometimes I see a suggestion to replace a Web link with nothing, but when I click on the Web link, it works!

'Working' is not the only criterium for designer/publishers home pages. If it were, we could just use www.boargamegeek.com as the home page for all of them.

I think i've seen many instances in the early time of data modding for incorrect designer home page links (strange - my data geekmod history ony shows links for publishers, but none for designers). They pointed to web sites that worked - for example, a short paragraph about the designer at amazon. These could be included in the link section IMO, but not as a home page link.

Just found a borderline case: Aaron Weissblum http://www.boardgamegeek.com/designer/235. The page listed as his home page clearly isn't this - it's a info page of the publisher alea, which released Eiszeit (Mammoth Hunters). It's quite useful, so unless Aaron Weissblum has no real home page, it could (should) stay. But i think it should be a link instead (but designer's pages don't have a link section), or could be mentioned in his wiki profile (which doesn't exist yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wood
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianMola wrote:
Usually because the page that it is being directed to is not correct.

Sorry, I should have said that the links not only work, they seem accurate. This being the case, I wonder why someone would delete them (which, when you don't suggest a new site, is what you're really doing, yes?).

Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.