Hide
7 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions, worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
msg tools
We liked the base the asylum story a lot and decided to go with an expansion. Our lokal game store just had the dragons prophecy so we bought and played it...
..and it sucked.

everything we liked about the asylum story was missing. the whole expansion felt just like a luck fest. (im gonna spoiler the rest of the rant for those who havent played it)
Spoiler (click to reveal)

the first part had to be optimized to the end. there was an build in economy system that you coulnd really use because you didnt have the time. the random cards were just... random. sometimes they really helped sometimes the fucked it up. you could buy items that may be used later in the story, but you didnt know when or even if. The if-part is the problem here. most of the cards were used in random encounters in the 2nd half of the game. maybe they came up, maybe they wouldnt. you couldnt go back and prepare, you couldnt plan ahead for what was needed. it was just up to chance.
The 2nd part was just a dice fest. go there, fight that, go there test that. even if you were prepared to the teeth, optimzed to the max, some bad dice rolls could just fuck everything up. the final "fight" was just more rolling dice. nothing special, nothing you could anticipate, just hoping you would roll those stars and no blanks...

The rules were bad, sometimes we had to pull out old cards to see if we were doing it right and often go back to te rulebook because it was like "ok, what the f are we supposed to do". it ruined the flow of the game.

Worst of all, there was no riddle to speak of. Maybe you could count those two "find the best way" encounters and the "how do the wheels turn" card as riddles, but i wouldnt. not compared to the awesome one the asylum story had.

We had a real good time, but it was not for the right reasons, but because we were making fun of the game, how bad everything came together.

We dont mind a bit of luck or some (forced) repetition, but it has to be within reason.
My question now is:
Is it worth to buy The marcy case or the mask expansion? Are there well made bigger scale riddles in there, like in asylum or are those just other "roll-dice-til-you-finally-manage-to-beat-it" expansions?

thanks and sorry about the rant(havent been so disappointed in years)
peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
By far my least favourite of the 4 cases. Although I know people who said it was their favourite and I have no idea why as it was just... Well.... Nothing.

And there was lots of errata needed on many of the cards (see my official FAQ) the other cases are much better IMO that this one, so yes, I would definitely recommend trying the others. And make sure you check out the FAQ for the clarifications / errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Asylum, Marcy and Dragons ... and i have to say, Dragons is by far my least favorite. It started well and was interesting and after 2 runs we "knew" how the game works, and tried multiple runs to game the system. After 4-5 more runs the evening was over and me and my group were bummed.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Dying 2 times because of no way of dealing with drowning felt pretty cheap. The whole scenario felt like an extreme example of the ground hog day, we were micro managing every move, to get the most items out of it.

Long story short: Imho Prophecy of Dragons is not a good example of another Story similar to asylum. Try the marcy case and i'm sure you will be pleased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my gameā€¦ when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also say Marcy Case is worth trying. It's closest to having a big puzzle like Asylum but nothing quite compares to Asylum in that regard.

The scenarios so far show that Time Stories can support a wide variety of stories, styles and mechanisms. But that means not every one will be everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought Under the Mask as our second Module.
We like it well enough (slightly less than Asylum), but it's also very 'puzzle-y' if that's what appeals to you.
Bear in mind that Under the Mask is NOT designed to be cleared in a single run (Bob can just go to heck with his assessment).
We cleared it with 3 in 6 runs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, based on what you wrote, I don't think you or your group would like any of the expansions to date.

We liked Asylum the best so far because of the challenging puzzle the game presents. The tests were something we just kind of tolerated.

Marcy Case was very combat oriented and dicey. The "puzzle" seemed pretty obvious to us. We won on the second run.

Prophecy felt about the same as Marcy Case, just with more running around and gathering to do. It took us about three times as long to finish as the Marcy Case.

I played Under the Mask with another group. We did not find the main "puzzle" challenging and the final puzzle was solved by one of my friends faster than it took to say "Under the Mask".

Having said all that, I plan to continue to buy the expansions as they come out. Because even though we share some of the same sentiments as you and your group, we still have a blast role playing, discovering, and generally goofing around in the T.I.M.E Stories universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Couzens
Australia
East Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
The modules are distinct enough that you can be confident a bad experience with one of them will not necessarily be reflected in a majority. Since you enjoyed Asylum, I think you ought to try the others out. I actually enjoyed both Marcy and UtM more than Asylum (and I hated Prophecy for the same reasons as you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.