Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I've been looking at getting into Arkham Horror.

Does this game require expansions in order for it to play well? Or will I be fine with just the core set?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set plays great by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Cohen
United States
Shrewsbury Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting Dunwich Horror, the injury and madness cards are a big improvement on the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game alone plays great, but it gets easy after a dozen or so plays; Dunwich fixes this nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can do anything, let me simply echo that which has been conveyed already...the base game plays excellently, and with the addition of Dunwich Horror, you'll have dozens of great plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each expansion improves the game, yes. Some more than others (Dunwich, cough cough).

However, the base game is great on its own for a while, and you definitely DO NOT want to start out playing expansions immediately. Too much complexity and added difficulty. Start simple, and fold expansions in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is much better with all the expansions added in, but I would never tell anyone to start with anything other than just the base game. Play each of the 8 Ancient Ones in the base game at least once, and then come back to describe what you might like more of (the vast majority of the time, the best next step will be Dunwich).

Bear in mind that an average play of Arkham for experienced players will be ~2 hours (somewhat dependent on number of players). For players that are all new to the game, a game can easily last ~4 hours (some recommendations for improving this below). So this would be ~20 hours of gaming before you should even consider adding in an expansion.

For best result for first plays of Arkham:
If not inconvenient, play with at least 1 player that is quite familiar with the game.
No more than 4 players for your first few games.
Thoroughly read the rule book and have the game completely punched and sorted before your first play.
Best Ancient One for a first game is either Azathoth (fewest in game effects and completely eliminates the Final Battle), or Yig/Ithiqua (shortest Doom tracks, will get to the Final Battle quicker - or maybe even win quicker).
Set the game up before people arrive to play, if possible; otherwise try to involve everyone in setting up the game (some shuffling Mythos and Other World card decks, while others set up Characters and the Ancient One, with shuffling investigator decks [ Common and Unique Items, Spells, etc. ] after getting fixed possessions for the investigators).

It is not unlikely to miss a rule, or have a rule question during your first couple of games. You may want to just write down the point of contention, come to an agreement on a house rule for the time being, and then look it up or ask here on the geek later to save time.

After you and the people you learn the game with are familiar enough with the game to feel comfortable teaching the game to others, try to have at least half of the players for a game be experienced with the Arkham - especially for games of more than 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Cheers for all the replies

How might the replayability be with just the base set alone?

Also, I was reading up on some reviews on the various expansions and noticed that there aren't any new Ancient Ones or Investigators... Curious, are the small box expansions essentially just the base set with an added theme? How much more do they add to the game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jessica,

The replayability is phenomenal. I played more than two dozen base games before purchasing my first expansion, The King In Yellow. Over the next few years, I purchased another expansion every si months and play a few games per year with every expansion thrown into the mix.

The reviews are correct...only the big box expansion contain Investigators and Ancient Ones. Each of the small box expansions add specific elements with their own unique theme...they're all great and all very, very different.

Hope you enjoy...and Welcome to the Carnival! cool

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite: small-boxes don't introduce new AOs or investigators, but each does bring new mechanics and added difficulty. All expansions, big and small, have heralds, which are like helper Ancient Ones. So no, small boxes are more than just re-themed base-game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a LOT of variability in the base game. You'll need very different tactics to beat Yig/Azathoth and Cthulu (for example). And the investigators have very different strengths. And then the decks are all large (so lots of new cards to see each game).
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, lots of the replayability comes with the different decks, mainly the (huge) mythos deck, wich will confront you with different challenges during the course of each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Yeo
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the replies

Just ordered the base set today! Can't wait to play it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stumpersthecorgi wrote:
Thanks for all the replies

Just ordered the base set today! Can't wait to play it!

You have been devoured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.