Subject: Blocking a Raid and Collecting Settlements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game yesterday, and apart from us making all kinds of mistakes (strategy-wise as well as details we simply forgot), it was a fantastic first experience!

However, I have two questions concerning the Raiding action.

1. If a raid is blocked by the opponent, can the opponent then draw a replacement card?
This question arose during gameplay, as we found it to be overly harsh that a player who has to have the card that can block a raid and has to discard it (not only show it), then also will have 1 fewer card in hand for his upcoming round (or even two cards less). It felt like you had the choice of losing the cube/disc or losing the option to play one more card, not like prevention of anything.
Is that intentionally so? I ask because I think I remember this being the case in A Few Acres of Snow (I think the blocking player redrew afterwards). Of course, drawing cards on your opponent's turn could lead to different problems, regarding the Campaign card...

2. If you succeed with your raid on a City, you claim the city disc. Does the opponent lose complete control over the location, or is a City disc downgraded to a Town cube? So does it go "City => neutral" or "City => Town"? I think this was also the case in AfAoS.

Apologies for the comparison with AfAos, I know this is a different game. However, both situations felt somewhat counterintuitive for me, and I think this is because I played quite a few games of AfAos, and those rules have been imprinted on my brain, somehow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
We played our first game yesterday, and apart from us making all kinds of mistakes (strategy-wise as well as details we simply forgot), it was a fantastic first experience!

However, I have two questions concerning the Raiding action.

1. If a raid is blocked by the opponent, can the opponent then draw a replacement card?
This question arose during gameplay, as we found it to be overly harsh that a player who has to have the card that can block a raid and has to discard it (not only show it), then also will have 1 fewer card in hand for his upcoming round (or even two cards less). It felt like you had the choice of losing the cube/disc or losing the option to play one more card, not like prevention of anything.
Is that intentionally so? I ask because I think I remember this being the case in A Few Acres of Snow (I think the blocking player redrew afterwards). Of course, drawing cards on your opponent's turn could lead to different problems, regarding the Campaign card...

2. If you succeed with your raid on a City, you claim the city disc. Does the opponent lose complete control over the location, or is a City disc downgraded to a Town cube? So does it go "City => neutral" or "City => Town"? I think this was also the case in AfAoS.

Apologies for the comparison with AfAos, I know this is a different game. However, both situations felt somewhat counterintuitive for me, and I think this is because I played quite a few games of AfAos, and those rules have been imprinted on my brain, somehow...
:)

Just like Acres, you do not re-draw until the end of your round, so you start your round playing with one less card. That is the price of defending your turf.

If they raid a city, you place a town cube there and hand the opponent the disc.

If he raids it again with his 2nd action (and you still do not block), he gets the cube also, and your location card is a dead card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
airjudden wrote:

1. If I raid your town, the location card remains with you. It is now out of supply and is a dead card. The only thing that can be done with it is hold it or spend an action to discard it, put it in the reserves, or put it back on the empire deck.

I nominate this to be in the clarifications thread. Without a reference back to the supply rules, the 5.2.4 description of Raid consequences could easily be misunderstood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.