1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: I'm worried of not being able to get the game on Oct 13. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The designers have stated that they will restrict it to one per customer to start with (e.g. https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23762624#23762624). There is also a second batch from the current printing, that will go on sale in December (with that date as yet unspecified so far as I've seen).

The post linked in brackets above very strongly implied that they are willing to reprint it. Their motivation is certainly to make it available to those who want to buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sale will start at 11 am PST.

I have read that they will limit it to one copy per order, but that was not official.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read it has something to do with thats as fast as the factory can get them out. It sounds like it was either 2 phases or wait till December for all of them. As for not buying it, I doubt they will notice. This is going to sell out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Thimbleby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
RamMegiddo wrote:
There is also a second batch from the current printing, that will go on sale in December (with that date as yet unspecified so far as I've seen).

I will not wait until December if I miss this initial boats, once a few of my friends have their copies and I start playing it, I wont buy it in December.

Why this 50/50, why not release it all on Oct 13th?

Not sure, but could be it's currently being printed - 30,000 is a lot. 15,000 might be what they have ready for the 13th Oct.

Alternatively, I was hoping that it might also help them gauge demand, and if it does sell out in hours, they could then announce any reprint orders in between the two release dates. If that is their plan it takes the pressure off completely for me, as someone who wants to buy it, but was worrying about fitting it in my budget for this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn
Germany
Burbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not all copies can be produced until the 13th and they had to split it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
It does look cool. But also consider there are thousands of games out there. Be brave, take some time, and look around.

Maybe play one of those older games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
EnigmaProphet wrote:
I will not wait until December if I miss this initial boats, once a few of my friends have their copies and I start playing it, I wont buy it in December.

Why this 50/50, why not release it all on Oct 13th?

So this thing that you didn't even know existed a week ago, you're desperate to order it in October, but you refuse to order it in December?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
adamw wrote:
It does look cool. But also consider there are thousands of games out there. Be brave, take some time, and look around.

Now that's crazy talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when the War of the Ring Anniversary Edition was announced and people freaked the hell out, worrying that if they didn't know the exact moment pre-orders went live, they'd never be able to get a copy.

Months later, those were still selling. In fact, I believe they only "sold out" a couple months ago.

I don't think this will take that long, but I'm not sure I believe the 10/13 games will sell out the way CMoN Early Birds sell out on a new Kickstarter campaign.

Maybe I'm wrong, but . . . I'm figuring those initial 15,000 games will probably last the first twenty-four hours, give or take. Not that I won't be there at 11:00am PST, but folks who are panicking over a "shortage" are possibly getting worked up over nothing.

Or, well, not. Either way, it'll be interesting (imagine if it took a couple weeks to sell out. What would people be saying then about this odd, little experiment?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I am worried also tbh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Richard
United States
New York
flag msg tools
adamw wrote:

I'll bet something like this was said when Kingdom Death Monster came out in KS.

Get your copy now or possibly suffer the price spike later on (though it appears that Riot has our interest at heart rather than our wallets)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is a coincidence that the game will be released on the 13th Okt. It is the first day of Spiel Essen, too. I strongly believe the date is picked so they could introduce it to gamers "face to face" on the fair.

So if you are there, you will probably get a copy. I hope I can make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carr
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
Hi

Also, I want to buy a few copies (2 or 3), will there be any restrictions on the number of copies to purchase on the initial release day?

Thank you
That's why people are worried because of people like you who will be buying a few copies.

I miss the days when "worrying" really mean something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
I'm fine with that, but I need the 1 copy.

How do you NEED something, that you didn't even know existed one week ago?

I always thought I'm already unreasonably excited about some games, but what's going on with this game at the moment is mind-boggling to me. If they'd announced the game would be out in December initially noone would have the game in October and I asume everyone would have survived that somehow.
And if they hadn't announced the game at all, I asume people would have just been happy with literally hundreds of games being released at Essen on the very same day.
But suddenly this game is around at people go completely crazy, because they might have it a few weeks or maybe even month after someone else might already have it. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
raintree wrote:
That's why people are worried because of people like you who will be buying a few copies.

One for me now, one for down to road to allow my family to have the joy of opening the new envelops down the road, a 3rd as gift. Now if I can only buy one at first, and buy the other ones in December, I'm fine with that, but I need the 1 copy.

"Need" is an awfully strong word.

Plus, you can fairly easily repackage everything in the envelopes. This isn't a legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in trying a programming game. If I'm shut out on October 13, what are some other options out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I have flashback to Mage Knight 1. ed
and Space Hulk 3. ed limited edition.

Same threads - different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamw wrote:

Heresy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
I don't think it is a coincidence that the game will be released on the 13th Okt. It is the first day of Spiel Essen, too. I strongly believe the date is picked so they could introduce it to gamers "face to face" on the fair.

So if you are there, you will probably get a copy. I hope I can make it.

Wanted to reply to this real quick. I'm working really hard to manage expectations, here, so I'm going to be as explicit as I can be: Riot won't be at Essen this year.

I would love to be at Essen, but that falls squarely in the middle of our E-Sports Worlds push and we didn't have the confidence months ago (when we'd have to begin planning this) that we would have the resources to create an awesome experience for players at Essen with so much effort being poured into the esports scene. We also weren't confident that the game would be ready and available by Essen when we made the call. If you'd have asked me back in March, I woulda told anyone that we'd have the game available for purchase at Gen Con - but the truth is, we haven't done this before and there is quite a bit of shifting of dates that happens when you're manufacturing a product (as any kickstarter backer can probably attest to). I'm glad we didn't commit to Gen Con back in March because as problems cropped up, we would have been forced to ship a subpar product to rush to hit a certain date. Experience will always come first, and sometimes (always?) that takes multiple revisions - and those take time.

To the OP: I'm worried about running out of stock on October 13th, too. It definitely isn't something we were aiming to have happen - I hope everyone who wants a copy of the game will get one - but that is also the reality of dealing with a physical product. 30k is not a small initial order for a boardgame, and with margins as thin as they are, we actually are absorbing a substantial amount of risk in starting with that many units. I will say, we are committed to making more units until we have met demand. So if you don't get it in October, hopefully we'll be able to get it to you shortly after that.

And as I've said in other threads, are current plan is to initially limit orders to one per player until we've caught up with demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnigmaProphet wrote:
Hi

I'm worried of not being able to get the game on Oct 13, at what time (Eastern Standard time) if possible will it go on sale (midnight)?

I'm working during the day, and I'm worried by the time I get back home in the evening, it will be sold out, I expect it to sell out within an hour at best, maybe even faster.

Also, I want to buy a few copies (2 or 3), will there be any restrictions on the number of copies to purchase on the initial release day?

Thank you

To sell out on day 1 would imply demand an order of magnitude higher than something like a CMON kickstarter. They often reach over 10k preorders, but only by the campaign end.

This certainly looks like a more coherent game at a better price point, and likely to attract a wider audience. But CMON is the best comparison I can think of that we have hard numbers for.

The only way I can imagine day 1 orders being an issue is if MvM really fires the imagination of LoL players. I don't know if anyone here is well placed to comment on buzz within that community but my half hearted effort to look for discussion of this game on LoL forums found nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philfry wrote:
I'm very interested in trying a programming game. If I'm shut out on October 13, what are some other options out there?

RoboRally
Space Alert
Colt Express
Aquasphere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eldaec wrote:
philfry wrote:

RoboRally
Space Alert
Colt Express

And Bomb Squad.
Coop programming a robot under time pressure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philfry wrote:

There are many and they will play different than Mechs Vs Minions. I cannot think of a co-op programming game. Edit: I see someone has thought of another one. Most are competitive.

Many people are comparing this game to RoboRally which is a popular programming game. It is getting a new reprint that is suppose to streamline it a bit. It is a racing game where you are trying to get your robot to hit all checkpoints before the other robots. But there are obstacles and each robot has weapons.

duck! duck! Go! is a kids programming game where you are racing ducks in the tub. It's RoboRally Lite essentially.

Robot Turtles is a programming teaching game for kids.

The newer Crazy Karts is a race game (see a theme here?) where you work with a partner. One person controls the odd numbered step, the other controls the even numbered steps and you can't communicate with each other.

Minis games like X-wing and Wings of Glory have programmed movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For what it is worth (very little) I'd classify xwing as secret orders rather than programming. Along with Dungeon Lords, Game of Thrones, Diplomacy et al.

Programming is about committing to second and subsequent decisions, without knowing the outcome of previous decisions.

Entirely my own personal head categories. Your mileage may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Doyle
United States
Londonderry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
eldaec wrote:
philfry wrote:

RoboRally
Space Alert
Colt Express
Aquasphere

Lords of Xidit too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.