München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
i searched through the forum, but couldn't find a satisfying answer to my problem. Even the Munchkin FAQ weren't clear enough on that.

So what happend was on my last Munchkin game i drew a bunch of cards for defeating a big monster. After placing all the equippable items i still had 7 cards left on my hand. I tried to place the Wishing Ring and some other one-shot on the table, just to have them there and to use them when i needed to.

One of my "friends" (actually the one with the lowest levelwhistle) insisted that if i were to place them on the table i would have to use them the first time i could. Which would've been potentially bad for me, because the second item was for running from a fight and i had every intention to fight my next monster and reap the benefits.
I thought i can place any one-shot on the table and use it when i see fit, not being forced on the first instance i am able to use it.

tl;dr:
Do i have to use a one-shot Item that is placed on the table the first time i can use them? Or can i choose when to activate it myself?
If you could back your answers up with Ruletext, FAQ or errata you'll be my hero meeple

btw: i finally decided to sell 2 items for another level, so i don't have to give him my stuff through charity and won the game one or two rounds later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't forced to use one-shot Items you're carrying (i.e., ones you've played to the table).

The relevant rule text:
Munchkin Rules wrote:
A Treasure card that says “Usable once only” is often called a “one-shot”
Treasure. Most of these are used during combat to strengthen the munchkins
or the monsters, and may be played from your hand or from the table. Some
have other effects, however, so read the card carefully! Discard these cards as
soon as the combat is over or their effect is resolved.

Note that it says these may be played from your hand or the table. That's also a 'may'. There's nothing insinuating you must play them at the earliest opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.