Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey DOOM lovers! Just wanted to inform you that version 2.0 of RanDOOM is online here:

http://www.crthibodeau.com/randoom.html Don't use this! It doesn't even work anymore.

Version 3 is much better!

Well what's so special about version 2, you ask? Here is a short list from the help file:

• A sound board is available where you can play various monster sound effects and create ambient room sound.
• You can now roll over items on the Floor Generator, and a text label will appear underneath the mouse.
• The "No expansion" bug has been repaired; i.e., checking the box will actually remove all expansion pieces, and not just the airless terrain.
• The "Spider Mastermind" check box now works properly; it used to do the opposite of what it was supposed to.
• Monsters now appear at 1/3 normal frequency near the start of a scenario, and gradually increase to 5/3 normal frequency near the end.
• There are three guranteed weapon tokens at the start of every level.
• For version 3 I'm planning to have a flavor text generator.

Please, try it out and tell me what you think! (Sorry for the huge jump in filesize: the room sounds in particular really did me in. On the bright side, the program is only a fifth of what it was when I started adding the sounds.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that looks really cool. I'm picturing the bad guy player with a laptop in front of him like the DM screens of old. Is that how you picture using it, or would you pregenerate everything before you started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VERY COOL! I'll definitely try it. It'll take me a while though... (Work and stuff..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though you could pregenerate (which would take a long time because you would have to record somehow everything you generated), I wouldn't. Besides, it's up to the marines to choose which door is to be opened.

Yesterday I actually had someone pick the doors to be opened and went from there until I had a complete Nightmare scenario constructed in Adobe Illustrator:

If you're pre-generating, you have to remember to account for all the encounter tiles if they occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Noah
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you'd like some help with the flavor text for the generator, drop me a line. In a past life I was a copy editor, and I've a very good ear for word choice and grammar. I would love to be a part of a project like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could this be used to play a solo game of Doom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that this is awesome. The soundboard alone is so cool. The ambient sounds add a whole new dimension to the game. Now all you need to do is come up with a workable automated OL for the program so I can play solo . Thanks again for your hard work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
RanDOOM v2.0 doesn't start? why?
Thanks very much for the programm.

Randoom 1 ran ok, but Randoom2 just won't start up. After I run the file, nothing happens & I have to use task manager to switch the off programm, which is running somewhere in the background..

I use WinXP Sp 2 fully updated.

Is there any special .dll I may be missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling that its new filesize (1.5 M to 10 M) might have something to do with it. Give it a little more time to load all the monster sounds, as it does that before booting the program.

The only real difference between versions is that 2.0 has wavs and mp3s installed. The monster sounds are all MP3-based, so if for some reason your computer can't play MP3s (unlikely) maybe that's the problem.

Does the progress bar even show up? If not, then that might be a clue that it hasn't fully booted its size yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenon Iblis
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, it really needs some time to load up. Everything runs Ok then. Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Araiza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi.

Great Program but i need help with the sounds, the ambient one works fine but i don't get any of the mosters and marines sounds. Any sugestion?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erick:

The ambient sounds were input into the program as .wav files because that's the only way they would play in combo.

The monster/marine sounds were input as .mp3 in the interest of file size.

If you're having problems playing any sounds that aren't ambient, there may be a problem with the way your computer handles mp3s. I'm not much of a pro at such things, but look around maybe for mp3 drivers or something.

Let me know how things work out.

-Tibs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone got this to work on Vista? Unfortunately I had to upgrade my laptop and they all seem to come preloaded with Vista now. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Noordman
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The program has stopped working right when I tried to run it. I don't know why and am using Vista! :(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.