Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: My variants: are they good for you ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
farfyy
msg tools
I completed the Shadow of rune campaign (two players with the good guy controlling 3 heroes). I really enjoyed the game

At the beginning of the campaign we started with the regular rules but some rules felt weird to use. We introduced gradually some variants .

What do you think of those changes ?

Variant 1 Equipment: You choose your equipment (weapons/armor) at the beginning of the quest respecting slot limits . So no more infinite backpack and switchings each turn. For the OL, easier to track down !

Variant 2 Equipment: You cannot give your weapon to other heroes (to avoid one weapon switching hands in the party during the same round). You can give search-objects only if you are "adjacent".

Variant 3 Movement: The fact that big monster can often move more than small monsters ( using the skrink/unskrink mechanism and gaining movement points just because they unshrink the rear of the base in the final case) was badly accepted by my gaming partner. So we now calculate movement from the front of the base. It make more sense, however it unfavor a bit the overlord as big monster are now slower and most of quests are races. What do you think about it ?

Variant 4 Line of sight: For next campaign i will use center to center !. Basically in the regular rules with the corner to corner rule you can never hide and it becomes very frustrating sometimes when your monster get sniped from improbable locations.

Variant 5 Movement: Diagonal movements are so unnatural especially at corridor ends when it's blocked by a monster but the hero can still slip through diagonally. This is especially striking because graphically the black corners smears a bit in regular cases so it seems you slip through the black walls when you move diagonally at corners. I don't know what to do for the next campaign because if i forbid this kind of movements at corners, blocking with monsters can become too efficient. Does somebody has experienced this variant before ?

If you have other variants , suggestions please feel free to suggest.

I known a lot of variants have been already published in the forum but there are so many threats it become difficult to track them all

Best








 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi farfyy


farfyy wrote:
[...]
What do you think of those changes ?

Variant 1 Equipment: You choose your equipment (weapons/armor) at the beginning of the quest respecting slot limits . So no more infinite backpack and switchings each turn. For the OL, easier to track down !

This never bothered us. We never felt this option as an issue and I'm glad that it's there.
And what does the OL have the track?

Quote:
Variant 2 Equipment: You cannot give your weapon to other heroes (to avoid one weapon switching hands in the party during the same round). You can give search-objects only if you are "adjacent".

We never felt the need of continuously switching equipment during a quest: it came handy very seldom. Trading items requires a move action, adjacency, and you can't equip received items until the start of your next turn.
However, it's a cool option sometimes and thus we prefer to leave that rule as it is instead of shutting it down.
Also, you already can trade search items only when you are adjacent: you can't throw them around.

Quote:
Variant 3 Movement: The fact that big monster can often move more than small monsters ( using the skrink/unskrink mechanism and gaining movement points just because they unshrink the rear of the base in the final case) was badly accepted by my gaming partner. So we now calculate movement from the front of the base. It make more sense, however it unfavor a bit the overlord as big monster are now slower and most of quests are races. What do you think about it ?

Large monsters Speed value already takes into account that additional spaces. As you can see most of the large monsters have a speed of 3 by design. I simply find natural that a larger creature can cover more distance than a humanoid.

Quote:
Variant 4 Line of sight: For next campaign i will use center to center !. Basically in the regular rules with the corner to corner rule you can never hide and it becomes very frustrating sometimes when your monster get sniped from improbable locations.

There are many players that complains about the LoS rules, but I never found them bothersome. In this game is more difficult to hide than in other skirmish games, but I really appreciate the simplicity. Sure, your monsters can get sniped from strange angles, but if a hero sees the monster that monster can see the hero devil
Tracing LoS from center to center is more difficult to do in many circumstances where you can't really tell where the imaginary segment crosses a square.

Quote:
Variant 5 Movement: Diagonal movements are so unnatural especially at corridor ends when it's blocked by a monster but the hero can still slip through diagonally. This is especially striking because graphically the black corners smears a bit in regular cases so it seems you slip through the black walls when you move diagonally at corners. I don't know what to do for the next campaign because if i forbid this kind of movements at corners, blocking with monsters can become too efficient. Does somebody has experienced this variant before ?


Yes, this would surely benefit the Overlord and unsettle the balance of may quests.


Anyway - as they say in Westeros - your house, your rules.
The most important thing is that you and your group are satisfied with them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.