Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Hype because of price and minis or gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heike Pohl
msg tools
mb
Hi,
I notice a great hype about the game, especially because of the price and the lots of minis.
But...is it a good game? Tom said, it is good, but not great. Why should I buy a good looking but not great playable game? Minis in a box in the closet isn´t my favourite way.
What do you think about the gameplay, replayability, fun etc?
Heike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy it then, it's just a good game and that doesn't seem good enough for you. I am willing to bet some people will think it's a great game though, and some will think it sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's both. The gameplay looks really solid and the quality of the product is just icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's simple: are you buying a game that Tom likes or a game that you like?

In a sense, disregard what he said and look at the many gameplay videos online (Rahdo, Rodney, etc) and decide.

The design seems solid and not complex at all. Is it fun? That depends on your tastes. I think it is, but that's in part because I will be playing with the family and I'm sure we'll all have a great time.

Regarding replay value, the fact that it is "several games in a box" will maintain the interest at least for the length of the campaign, but also after the live gameplay yesterday Tom mentioned that he had played that scenario a few times and it was as entertaining as the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo seems to think it is a very good game based on his Final Thoughts video. Also Man Vs Meeple was very excited about it too. Combine that with the fact that the game is a programming game that is so good it has made Sam Healey a believer (he historically HATES programming games) and you've got a game I'll be purchasing the moment sales go live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that a lot of great press just got shot out days ago, and it was largely unknown to the wider BGG community.

It will take a while for the more negative impressions to roll forth--this is true for any hot game, and is par for the course.

I would expect to see a slight cooling of the glowing impressions soon, but likely not before initial release. If a blind grab is your concern, there's no shame waiting to grab a copy from their December shipment.

For me, I was rabid about it days ago when I caught wind of it, but like you am trying to gauge its faults on feel from released digital media. The first thing that I could say is that (like any co-op), the card draw and die rolls play a large part in how insurmountable each game is. There is the potential for a perfectly randomized damage card to turn a winning game to a punishing loss. It also seems as if you may be able to clearly see a loss coming turns down the road and have nothing to stop it.

That's all I've got for now, unfortunately. (Still have an alarm set for the 11th.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Obviously it's both. I watched the reviews at first because of the production but the gameplay looks really good. I'd be equally happy to buy this if it this was a $40 game without the over the top production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both.

But why does it even matter which it is? Did you never get excited about toys or action figures? A hanging poster or piece of wall art?

Let's face it, the first thing that many people tend to notice about a game are the components. Great components can certainly elevate a game for me. I enjoy a good tactile experience.

Plus, does every game you buy need to have GREAT gameplay? Do you not buy games that are merely "good," for various reasons? Like playtime, mechanisms, works well with a certain group, etc? I own several games of this nature and enjoy them just as much if not more than the GREAT ones at certain times.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting a copy the game play looks cool and i love a beautiful production and the price is amazing. I watched all the reviews from multiple reviewers and they were all pretty consistent the game play is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when pictures leaked early, I assumed it would be "League of Legends the Board Game," and I wasn't interested. But the gameplay is what sold me. It's right up my alley and looks like a lot of fun. The production quality is definitely icing on the cake, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like with any game do your research. The Dice Tower put up a play through of the second scenario. Take a look and see if it is something you would like.

The hype is due to how the information of this game came about. The price for what you get is also a factor. But the big thing about the hype is the fact that hardly anything has come out about this game and then in one day many of the major reviewers had video, demos, and reviews of the game. It hit the media by storm. You can definitely tell a video game company is behind the game with the way it was announced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Watkins
United States
Forest Hill
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the production qualities are amazing, and the gameplay looks awesome as well. Besides Tom isn't the only one with videos and info, there's already watch it Played, Rahdo, and Man vs Meeple videos and all are pretty positive and then some. I usually don't just base my info off of Tom only, he gets a bit fanboyish about things, but the other all saying the same thing is the sign of a quality game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like a mashup of Roborally, Fearsome Floors and Krosmaster, all gsmes that I like. $75 for 12 pounds of components seems like good value for me so I'm willing to give it a try.

Looks like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:
...(Still have an alarm set for the 11th.)

Because you wanna be ready 2 days early?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ngajoe wrote:
(Still have an alarm set for the 11th.)

2 days early - not a bad idea. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyped due to design and components. No doubt.

For me there is a decent game play. Nothing special.
But I love Bomb Squad. Also a Coop programming game.
A standard FFG game with identical mechanism would end up on my wishlist with a pricetag around $60 -70.

The extreme WOW effect kicked me instantly off the fence - hitting the dirt face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Young
United States
Lockport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Raider84 wrote:
Hi,
I notice a great hype about the game, especially because of the price and the lots of minis.
But...is it a good game? Tom said, it is good, but not great. Why should I buy a good looking but not great playable game? Minis in a box in the closet isn´t my favourite way.
Heike

For me everything about it has me super hyped. The game looks fantasy and the gameplay looks top notch as well. Combine that with the price, I'll be buying it day 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cat Five
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
ngajoe wrote:
...(Still have an alarm set for the 11th.)

Because you wanna be ready 2 days early?...

Er...yep.

I guess it's better than the other way around?
snorecry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dettmar
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raider84 wrote:
Hi,
Heike

what initially got me was the game play. I'm hurting for a good programing game, and this one looks fantastic. The price and the mini's played a huge part in my decision to buy, but the initially excitement for me was the gameplay

even with the incredible amount of hype this game is getting, it's not going to be for everyone. Tom say's it just OK, but I frequently disagree with his opinions on things. If you find yourself usually agreeing with tom, then maybe this one isn't for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
One thing that struck me about the reviews I've seen (Dice Tower, M vs M, Rahdo,) was the reviewers seemed to dwell a LOT extolling the components, less so the game play. I noticed this especially on the Dice Tower video.
With most games these folks love it is the game play itself they spend time gushing over...the components being the icing on the cake. It seemed the other way around here.

I had the impression all the reviewers were trying to avoid the subject of game play as long as possible. Especially Sam on the Dice Tower review. I thought I could see smoke coming out of his ears at the end as he was asked to rate the game. Expected to have him start a verbal loop of some random nursery rhyme as he forced himself to give the game 2 thumbs up! zombie

Will I be getting the game?
Yup. laughshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
tbh, I don't see much game here.

It just seems very passive.

Get a card, place that card in a line, play the sequence.
Then get a card, place it in the SAME line, play the sequence again.
etc etc

your more moving the pieces around than actually playing a game.

The hype comes from the price and the components but tbh this game isn't all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'm in a similar confusion. I don't see the gameplay to be all that engaging. I mean. Clearly a lot of money is being spent to over produce this, but... It seems fairly pedestrian as far as mechanics go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
I'm in a similar confusion. I don't see the gameplay to be all that engaging. I mean. Clearly a lot of money is being spent to over produce this, but... It seems fairly pedestrian as far as mechanics go.

That's no different than the majority of games that are released. Programming is an underused mechanic compared to something like worker placement. And it's really how a game comes together as a whole that matters, not just mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemus wrote:
tbh, I don't see much game here.

It just seems very passive.

Get a card, place that card in a line, play the sequence.
Then get a card, place it in the SAME line, play the sequence again.
etc etc

your more moving the pieces around than actually playing a game.

The hype comes from the price and the components but tbh this game isn't all that.

What's wrong with a simple game with great components? That's not exactly what your saying, but I see it as an implication of what your saying.

Sure the actual mechanics of the game aren't super deep, but the decisions between players about what cards they need, where best to place them, and strategizing on how best to handle the scenario is what the game really is about. Plus the silly chaos of things not going as you planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if it's a horrible game, the production quality for $75 is pretty crazy. Not that means you should buy it, but it definitely caught people's attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.