Subject: 2 players- GOA AUCTION SYSTEM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2p-variant [+] [View All]
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about playing with the Goa's auction system with two players? It could be more interesting?

And in 3-4-5-6 players ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
wamadeus wrote:
What do you think about playing with the Goa's auction system with two players? It could be more interesting?

And in 3-4-5-6 players ?

You mean lay the factories out in a grid, place a flag at the edge, place the player markers starting near the flag and moving out, then paying the "owner" of the factory for each won auction (exactly one chance to bid for the flag or each factory?)

Sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamadeus wrote:

And in 3-4-5-6 players ?

Perhaps you should elaborate on what you mean for general clarity and those that have never played Goa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I mean ONCE AROUND AUCTION. The player who starts the auction has the last possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea. And not just for 2 players. It makes choosing the plant to auction not quite so disadvantageous (forced to buy if everyone passes). It would definitely change the game, though, but as someone friendly to variants, I'd give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently the system is designed to give an advantage to the person who is trailing (although it can be debated how effective that is). This would seem to turn that on its head.

If you're faced with the situation of a load of rubbish available, I assume the situation would be the same and you have the option of passing and not buying a plant that round, so no change there. But in the case where there is a good plant there you can guarantee to get it or force someone else to buy at an over the top price. So the supposed disadvantage has now become an advantage defeating the original intent.

So this sounds a bad idea to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think that in two player the auction can be quite boring. Whith the once around auction could be much more tactical and the bluff more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I've never played with 2 players and I was thinking more about the 3-6 player game. I find that in most cases auctions get a bit sterile with only 2 and I'm not sure I'd be that fond of Power Grid with that number.

You may be right that this would make things more interesting, but it still seems to turn the intent of the catch up mechanism on it's head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually (by mistake) played it this way (just one round of bids) but with 4 or 5 players. It's different, and a bit more challenging, since you have to guess better what your coplayers would want (& pay for)

Although it seems to be in favor of the leading player, since he/she can start with the "best" plant, and still buy it if it's cheap, or just let it pass when it's getting too expensive, in that way getting a better chance of scoring a better price for the next factory.

Oh, and prices paid for factories seem to vary, although it seemed that they went for less than usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Magnifico
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeBwithoutadot wrote:
Oh, and prices paid for factories seem to vary, although it seemed that they went for less than usual.

Yes, it's true.

The quick auctions and paying the power plants less than usual, ends up in a fast paced game that you will enjoy, above all if in 4 or 5 players.

Actually we did 3 try with this variant! Only good results

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.