Subject: Help Streamline our mechanics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended Chicago's Protospiel with my game for Honor Studios, War in Paradise - Insurrection. It was a great opportunitty not only to get neutral opinions of my design but also to play a plethora of games in various states of completion

Over the last couple weeks, I've tried to digest the feedback I received and move forward. I've made some attempts, but I want to make certain that I'm going in the correct direction.

The game, mechanically, was an exploratory, tower defense game with bag-building to provide the resources for the player's unique character. You earned better resources by collecting them on the board (occassionally) and defeating enemies. You could use the resources as Action points, to help other player's characters, to activate player abilities, and to manipulate dice results. It was a heavy cooperative game with, depending on the results of the game, a traitor mechanic. Conflict is resolved via dice-chucking with unique dice and was virtually a "beat this number" kinda element. The 6-sided dice results were -1, +1, +2, +3, a GOOD result (that was worth +5 but could also give insta-win if you had 3 active GOOD results) and a BAD result (that was worth 0 but also locked the die as well as cancel out a GOOD result and potentially give insta-loss w/ 3 active BAD results).

The theme was taking the ideas from Paradise Lost (epic poem by Joseph Milton) where Lucifer turns on God and leads a revolt in Heaven, and is directly connected to the War in Paradise comic published by Honor Studios. The timeline for the story is that Lucifer has disappeared and there are rumors that things are happening on the edge of creation. Your angel characters are sent to investigate and see what is happening. When they arrive at the outpost, they find the first wave of the attack on Creation. The players are moving out searching for the plot which they find out by exploring tiles then finding and interrogating the Demonic Lts (hopefully) or defeating the Big Bad (a villain represented by one of the 7 deadly sins and much harder to do). The players win by collecting the 3 plot cards. The players can lose a number of ways. If too many of them succumb to the wiles of Lucifer, joining his side. If their outpost (placed in the center of the board) is destroyed.

Much of the feedback focused on:

"Need to tighten up the mechanics. Figure out what the primary mechanic is and make sure all the other mechanics are in service to that. "

"Tweak the mechanics. Get everything to relate back to the core theme which is the strongest area for player engagement at this time."

"It needs to have a more coherent connection between the theme and gameplay"

I'm assuming everyone sees a theme developing! And given this isn't my first creative rodeo, I know to always take seriously when mutliple viewpoints coalesce around a central area. The above perplexed me, and it took a long conversation w/ one of the testers to really get a handle on it (sorta), and though I'm continuing to move forward (I have more blind playtests coming soon in Dayton), I'm not sold that I'm going down the right track w/ those adjustments. So, if you were in my shoes and received those areas of feedback, how would you attack a game like what I expressed above? Thanks in advance for any help!

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Bellocq
Uruguay
flag msg tools
[Sorry but english isnt my first lebnguage]

I think you need make something less luck thing and add some kind of strategic... i have a issue like this and i solve with six cards, 3 atcking cards and 3defensive cards.. the atk moddify your power, but the def if chose wisley can make his atack power equal to zero. (check here, have a better explaniation: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1630466/how-i-can-evite-sno...)
maybe you can add something like this to your game with diferent names of atacks and things..

And another thing: de BAD result could be a 6, something sronk who makes you keep them... but if you have three of that OP result you lose, because 666 duh.

Good luck!!

Edit: in the link the image was broken, but was this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, cute idea for the 666. Not sure I want to go that route (larger numbers equal more difficult math), but thematically, it is a great addition.

I remember your thread. I didn't comment because, honestly, it was out of my realm of expertise (do I even have one of those?). I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying.

Do you see the combat as a player versus player interaction because the basic mechanic is cooperative and not conflict. The players are challenging the board and monsters, not one another.

Thanks for further clarity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you NEED dice-chucking? Castle Panic does a good job of having tension without dice.

Seems like you have parallel games going on, which is a good idea. FFG's Runewards sorta does this by having heroes going on quests which do stuff if they succeed.

Plots and tower defense are two very different things. FFG's War of the Ring also has two very different things going on, the war itself, and the hunt for the ring bearer. Essentially, the players had only so many resources to spend on two dissimilar things.

You can, of course, put one or the other in the background, or even have two different games, with the outcome of the games affecting each other.

Demonic wiles suggests corrupting, a still not cliche theme of trading short-term results for long-term failure. I'm guessing the unknown traitor mechanic enters here, and I think it's a good opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corruption was one of the suggestions (after the initial meeting when I spent time discussing it w/ one of the players over dinner). It was for a different angle, but hearing your idea does have some cool possibilities. I hadn't thought of using corruption as something they can take on to accomplish short term gains.

The game is likely eliminating dice. They're expensive and I think I have another way that should also help with the traitor mechanic (not unlike Battlestar Galactica). I'm still working out the kinks in that, which means lots of testing to see if it works.

wf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Do you NEED dice-chucking? Castle Panic does a good job of having tension without dice.

Apart from the die it uses as a way to create tension, you mean? whistle

But that's just nit-picking, the die is used for placement, not resolution, so I think your point is still valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Plots and tower defense are two very different things. FFG's War of the Ring also has two very different things going on, the war itself, and the hunt for the ring bearer. Essentially, the players had only so many resources to spend on two dissimilar things.

(snip)

Demonic wiles suggests corrupting, a still not cliche theme of trading short-term results for long-term failure. I'm guessing the unknown traitor mechanic enters here, and I think it's a good opportunity.

I wanted to comment a bit on this, the resource mechanic. The game uses a bag building mechanic, as mentioned. The resource (called Manna) acts fairly similar to "Action Points" from other games. The players use the resource for everything from taking their turn (or extra turns) to activate special abilities, adjusting results, etc. I'm wondering about that Corruption, and if a player could take the Corruption as a replacement for resource, adding it to their bag.

Kicker is the traitor, once revealed, stops using the normal Manna and instead uses the Corruption.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.