Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what two scenarios would you suggest i purchase with the base game? we will be playing 2-player (1 core set) and probably using the pre-constructed decks, so:

- which expansion adds the best scenario?
- which adds cards to decks we already have?
- and which just seemed to add the most fun?

thanks...

(edit) ok, what "cycles" are the best? most fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New Player Buying Guide might help you at Tales from the Cards: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

You could consider browsing through the BGG forum for this game--picking topics of interest--because there are several discussions that people have created that are similar and you might find some information you'd appreciate.

I like Conflict at the Carrock and A Journey to Rhosgobel as expansions that would be fun to play with the core set. The whole Shadows of Mirkwood cycle does add cards that are fun and necessary to play with if you plan on buying more/playing through the whole thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[EDIT: I got ninja by cr0835ab]

I couldn't give better guidance than this site, so I'll just post the link: https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

FWIW, I recently bought the core set and am having fun working through the first cycle in order. Also thought about beginning with one of the saga expansions but decided to move to those after I'm through the first six APs, and maybe Khazad-dum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Banks
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Welcome to the party that is LOTR LCG!

You probably already know but if you're limiting yourself to 2 scenarios and no deleuxe expansions, then you've only really got the Mirkwood cycle (and the print on demand expansions, but those don't include player cards) to choose from. I'm not hugely familiar with the Mirkwood cycle having jumped straight to Khazad Dum and the Hobbit sagas, but I've just started to look back at them recently and here's what I do know:

- The Hills of Emyn Muil is widely regarded as one of the worst scenarios in the game.
- Conflict at the Carrock is basically a big bust-up with trolls. Fun, but once you've cracked it, there's not huge repeat play potential there - you also get a very similar quest in the first Hobbit saga box if you choose to go that way in future.
- Journey to Rhosgobel I haven't tried, but I understand it is a fairly unique quest with a race to save a wounded eagle.
- If theme is of interest, The Hunt for Gollum, The Dead Marshes, and Return to Mirkwood follow a pseudo-continuous story that most closely relates the capture of Gollum. These are the only ones I own from the cycle and I'm just playing through them for the first time at the moment and finding them all pretty fun (I'm a huge one for theme, though).
- There are good staple cards spread across the cycle, especially A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock, I think), which is still the best way of dealing with shadow cards. The Song cards and Dunedain signal attachments are also generally useful for when you move into deckbuilding and want to include multiple spheres / buff your heroes stats, respectively.
- If you plan on moving on to Dwarfs in future, or the Hobbit sagas, you'll want Return to Mirkwood for hero Dain.
- If you plan on moving to Hobbits (i.e. probably the Lord of the Rings sagas), look at the Dead Marshes for Fast Hitch.
- The Eagles trait sees the most development across the cycle, but it's quite spread out over multiple packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will offer, though, that the Hills of Emyn Muil can be an interesting challenge because it is so different. If your core set deck can handle both the Hills and Conflict at the Carrock, it's pretty well balanced. I wouldn't recommend it to someone buying just two expansions, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would suggest just starting with the core game and seeing what you like. You might want to have more scenarios, you might want more quests, you might like to build a deck with Dwarves, you might want to explore a mono tactics deck.... etc. You wont really know till you get started.

There is plenty of fun to be had with the base game to get you 20+ plays.

Adventure packs - great way to get a small amount at a time, a (hopefully) great quest and almost as much deck building potential as a deluxe or saga expansion

Deluxe expansion - usually 3 quests and a good amount of player cards but to fully utilise a deluxe expansion you do need to think about getting the odd adventure pack - e.g. the Khazadum deluxe expansion includes a set of encounter cards not used with the quests that come with it (and only of use if you get more adventure packs).

Saga expansions - great way of enacting key moments from the books - I have only done the first hobbit one but thought it was very well put together. As these are designed without Adventure packs as part of a cycle I do think that they are even easier to dip into than the deluxe expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ooooh, I'm sorry...

The only correct answer is "All of them."

If you'd like we can have a moment of silence for your bank account balance....

(I'd probably go for Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, myself)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfrazer wrote:
Ooooh, I'm sorry...

The only correct answer is "All of them."

If you'd like we can have a moment of silence for your bank account balance....

(I'd probably go for Khazad-Dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, myself)

You forgot to add " and in the darkness bind them" to that all of them

I suggest going to the Mirkwood cycle, it gives you a bit of flavor from several spheres, types and combined with the Core game can let you figure out which way you want to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.