Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Heir to the Pharaoh» Forums » General

Subject: Upgraded Components - Will they ever see retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sorry if this has been answered before or somewhere else....

I've just stumbled across the game and it ticks a lot of boxes, but I was disappointed to realise most of the images and Youtube reviews are based around the Kickstarter edition with the nice wooden pieces unlike the game that is available to buy at retail here in the UK. I understand it's the same game, but those pieces went a long way to selling it to me so I'm not sure I'll purchase now.

Does anyone know if the upgraded components will some day be sold separately at retail? A kind of upgrade/expansion add-on thing for those with the "base" game? Or is it absolutely, forever, categorically a kickstarter backer only reward.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the upgraded components and the cursed expansion are available on the Eagle Games website. They also have a bundle package including the game and both of these extras, at a bit less cost.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks for that, didn't occur to me to go direct and I'm glad it's available, but sadly the shipping costs to the UK almost doubles the price.

Hopefully it might find its way to retail here someday!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn, nearly purchased this today thinking the wooden pieces were included in the retail version.

No wooden pieces and yet the game is still retailing for around £40 here in the UK? I thought £40 was steep even when I thought the wooden bits were included.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Yep, same, I was ready to pull the trigger until I accidentally realised that key difference when browsing BGG images. Ah well, suppose my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
codelish wrote:
Yep, same, I was ready to pull the trigger until I accidentally realised that key difference when browsing BGG images. Ah well, suppose my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief


I made it a point to make sure I captioned my image uploads with 'upgraded components' and 'expansion'. Most of the images so far are kickstarter backer images including it all, so it's an easily missed detail.

I know many people thought the kickstarter price was a bit high for a two player game. Looking at the retail version now though, to get the game and the two extras cost much more. I guess the kickstarter was a pretty good deal. Hopefully the price will come down soon enough, those wooden components really make the game for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
codelish wrote:
Yep, same, I was ready to pull the trigger until I accidentally realised that key difference when browsing BGG images. Ah well, suppose my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief


I made it a point to make sure I captioned my image uploads with 'upgraded components' and 'expansion'. Most of the images so far are kickstarter backer images including it all, so it's an easily missed detail.

I know many people thought the kickstarter price was a bit high for a two player game. Looking at the retail version now though, to get the game and the two extras cost much more. I guess the kickstarter was a pretty good deal. Hopefully the price will come down soon enough, those wooden components really make the game for me.

Hmmm... I'm the opposite, the game is so good that I'd wholeheartedly recommend getting it with the cardboard components. The cardboard is nice and thick and they still look good on the board. Granted I did back it on KS so I am playing with the wooden bits which do look nice. What about getting the game and seeing if it strikes a cord with you and then buying the wooden bits down the road if you think it's worth it once you play.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotis Giakoump
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
STUSFURNUS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the upgraded components and specifically the monumeeples, do they have any kind of indications of the point as per card board counterparts?

There isn't any indication of something similar in the screens i've seen so far.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donnin wrote:
Speaking of the upgraded components and specifically the monumeeples, do they have any kind of indications of the point as per card board counterparts?

There isn't any indication of something similar in the screens i've seen so far.


No they do not. This was my one gripe about the wooden components. But it's never been an issue while playing. The point value is directly proportional to the height of the monuments. Tallest (Obelisk) is 3 points, smallest (Shrine) is 1 point. Easy to remember while playing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fotis Giakoump
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
STUSFURNUS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
Donnin wrote:
Speaking of the upgraded components and specifically the monumeeples, do they have any kind of indications of the point as per card board counterparts?

There isn't any indication of something similar in the screens i've seen so far.


No they do not. This was my one gripe about the wooden components. But it's never been an issue while playing. The point value is directly proportional to the height of the monuments. Tallest (Obelisk) is 3 points, smallest (Shrine) is 1 point. Easy to remember while playing.


The thing is that i am thinking of buying them, but they also seem to be the same height in the screens. If you can share a picture that shows the difference in height i would be grateful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donnin wrote:
The thing is that i am thinking of buying them, but they also seem to be the same height in the screens. If you can share a picture that shows the difference in height i would be grateful.


Here you go. I included to standees so you can see the comparison against those as well.



The wooden Monumeeples have a nicer board presence, and have less of a 'floating' effect that the standees have. In my opinion, they're worth having if you enjoy the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.