Subject: Duplicate OCS Sicily II entry? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed there are two entries for 2016's Sicily II (OCS).

Operational Matters: An OCS Guide (w/ Sicily II game)

Sicily II

One mentions the magazine and the other does not.

Is this how it is supposed to be in the database or should they merge?

Maybe someone could send a yo to an admin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
I've noticed there are two entries for 2016's Sicily II (OCS).

Operational Matters: An OCS Guide (w/ Sicily II game)

Sicily II

One mentions the magazine and the other does not.

Is this how it is supposed to be in the database or should they merge?

Maybe someone could send a yo to an admin?

I've done so. Multiple times. Nothing has come of it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess someone could pull the game out of the magazine and have it alone. The Magazine would still be a valid entry as it is a bona-fide strategy guide and lots of other games have those listed. I've got mine listed under the Sicily II as it has a more accurate listing of the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one with the magazine has DB id 194,113. The other has 202,942. So there were 8,000 other games inserted in the DB between these two. Maybe the second uploader did not check that the game was already in the DB?

Also, the game entry 194,113 has the info that it reimplements the older OCS Scily game Sicily: Triumph and Folly with id 1,582. So there's different information in each record. Someone should stop this madness! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Well I guess someone could pull the game out of the magazine and have it alone. The Magazine would still be a valid entry as it is a bona-fide strategy guide and lots of other games have those listed. I've got mine listed under the Sicily II as it has a more accurate listing of the game itself.

I do now see that this has been done for similar products: e.g., MMP's Special Operations. So there's precedent, but I think that should be re-examined.

Sure, someone can remove the game from the magazine, but that doesn't mean they should have separate database entries. I could also separate the different modules in Tuscany and sell off the ones I don't care for, but that doesn't mean each module should have its own database entry.

It makes more sense, I think, to go by what the publisher itself considers to be separate products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if someone wants to talk about the magazine articles and not Sicily?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

The same thing you'd do if you want to talk about the bioterrorist module of Pandemic: On the Brink but not the purple virus module. If there were a single entry called 'Operational Matters: An OCS Guide w/ Sicily II', why couldn't you talk about either or both in its forums?

If people can figure out where to ask general questions about the OCS series rules, without necessarily applying it to a specific OCS game (as is done), I'm sure they could figure out where to do what is effectively the reverse, and ask a question about the magazine articles and not Sicily II.

Or you could go to CSW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You give users too much credit to figure things out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:

And also, it's a site for listing boardgame, not magazine articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wish that it was reduced to one.

I had some rules questions and had to figure out that both existed to look at them both to see if my questions had already been answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.