BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What do we do with people like this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/09/23/video-shows-mom-ove...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we would need context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, probably she shouldn't be separated from her daughter on no other evidence than that she passed out at a store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

One commenter is correct, not sure it has been verified yet if the woman overdosed on illegally obtained opiates, or on ones that may have been medically prescribed. One circumstance is intentional, the other maybe an accident. Seeing the kid's reaction though is heartbreaking, trying to wake her and get some reaction out of her. If she did it intentionally, she should lose the child, if by accident, it's simply a case that actually shows a kids real concern about her mother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
Nitrogen Conservation Awareness: I pee in the yard
mbmbmbmbmb
And LO, on that day The D rejected his beloved ellipsis, and began to consort with other forms of punctuation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one thing we could do is comfort the crying child rather than standing there filming her with our iPhones...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
And LO, on that day The D rejected his beloved ellipsis, and began to consort with other forms of punctuation.

Sorry, I cant read your typing with that dick in your hand...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Well, one thing we could do is comfort the crying child rather than standing there filming her with our iPhones...
I was thinking that, I also thought I heard a couple of laughs, but maybe I was just thinking "shitbags" to much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

My thought exactly what an ass hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

You know you could have ignored this and engaged with the people having a discussion about the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

You know you could have ignored this and engaged with the people having a discussion about the topic.

You know, you could have said, Josh, you are an asshole, instead of just coming after me again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Officers found residue and paraphernalia consistent with either fentanyl or heroin in the mother's bag, according to Fitzpatrick. She was revived with Narcan and then transported to Lawrence General Hospital. Police said she will be charged with child endangerment.

So, I would say the signs point to overdose, but one would need testing to be sure (which I am sure they did/will do).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

You know, you could have said, Josh, you are an asshole, instead of just coming after me again.
Because I did not reply to him, I replied to your OP. I do not care what he thinks is clever, I do care about users who ignore people who are trying to have a rational conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:
Officers found residue and paraphernalia consistent with either fentanyl or heroin in the mother's bag, according to Fitzpatrick. She was revived with Narcan and then transported to Lawrence General Hospital. Police said she will be charged with child endangerment.

So, I would say the signs point to overdose, but one would need testing to be sure (which I am sure they did/will do).
Yet lacked evidence for prosecution (maybe because the bag had been interfered with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We should ridicule them for posting links without commentary and then being a total douche bag to the people who respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

Yet lacked evidence for prosecution (maybe because the bag had been interfered with).

Do you have a link? I haven't read that part anywhere yet. (not accusing, just curious to read)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

Do you have a link? I haven't read that part anywhere yet. (not accusing, just curious to read)
From the OP's source.

Quote:
Although the woman wasn’t charged with any drug-related violations due to a lack of evidence,

You can see the witness pick up and search the bag in the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As a side note, I do not agree with releasing "shaming videos" of addicts.

To get to that point (if it was an overdose of an illegal substance), the person obviously would have severe issues. To do that with a child around already means their judgement is compromised.

Shaming them in such a public way will have very little positive impact to their recovery. They need to work through the addiction and the public shaming will only make that more difficult (allowing everyone to persecute them as they see them - even after they are over the addiction).

And, if the video is meant to deter future users of the drug, I do not feel that is adequate as well and is not worth the harm to the other person's recovery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

From the OP's source.

Quote:
Although the woman wasn’t charged with any drug-related violations due to a lack of evidence,

I'm presuming the witness wasn't a cop?

If so - that's kind of sleazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:

Here ya go.....wouldn't want you to feel left out.......

Ferret......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

From the OP's source.

Quote:

Very sorry. I completely missed that between the pictures/ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

From the OP's source.

Quote:

I'm presuming the witness wasn't a cop?

If so - that's kind of sleazy
Yes, and illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
Quote:

From the OP's source.

Quote:

Very sorry. I completely missed that between the pictures/ads.
I did the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that passing out in public should lead to medical testing.

If the person is using recreational drugs while caring for a toddler, sure, it's DCFS time. We could also treat the lady for obvious problems, be they medical or drug-related (as if those are two different things, but we're in a stupid place that believes they are.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
As a side note, I do not agree with releasing "shaming videos" of addicts.

To get to that point (if it was an overdose of an illegal substance), the person obviously would have severe issues. To do that with a child around already means their judgement is compromised.

Shaming them in such a public way will have very little positive impact to their recovery. They need to work through the addiction and the public shaming will only make that more difficult (allowing everyone to persecute them as they see them - even after they are over the addiction).

And, if the video is meant to deter future users of the drug, I do not feel that is adequate as well and is not worth the harm to the other person's recovery.

I'm not sure being publically shamed will harm a recovery, honestly. (I'm not sure it won't, by any means! But social force matters.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.