$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you identify the people that you game with as an organized "gaming group"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is pretty vague so answer/reply as you interpret it, it all works.

I actually belong to an organized gaming group with a couple hundred members:
http://www.gaspgamer.com/

But I also have a semi-regular group that meets when we can and sometimes it's planned and sometimes we wing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
No. We're neither organised or a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belong to an organized club, and a regular group, and a regular group that is an off shoot of the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.meetup.com/Rochester-Game-Night/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lucia radici
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we are a group of friends (about 40) and when have a facebook group where we organize game evenings and events.
But I wouldn't say we are "organized" we just love to stay together and play board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you identify the people that you game with as an organized "gaming group"?
We're a group who meet to play games, so yeah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
About 15 months ago my wife and I went to my FLGS to find people to try Foragers 3 or 4 player with, and we've been meeting with the two that said okay weekly ever since... and I've been exposed to a new game or two just about every week.

Thus I do identify them as my "game group" - just as I identify my wife as my other "game group". However, we've welcomed extra people to play with us when playing in public, so it isn't an exclusive group. Sometimes they are coworkers of other members, sometimes they are people in the game store, and so on.

Back in the day I did attend two larger game groups for tabletop RPGs at my local university, and those were about 20-40 members... but I've never belonged to something that had hundreds of gamers meeting regularly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Carpenter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
No. We're neither organised or a group.

Don't listen to him - clearclaw is just trying to have his gang status removed.

He should have thought of the consequences before getting 18XX tattooed on his face!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clark
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we have an official membership that pays (very reasonable) dues. We vote on stuff, we have parties, tournaments, organized charitable donations, a guild, a microbadge, etc. Non-members are always welcome to join us, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The group that I used to play with was not officially organized but we were a bona fide gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I play with friends and family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most organized group I belong to is work sponsored. The group owns a board collection, which we store in company provided cabinets near a company provide room we can schedule for after hours game nights (it's a training room during the day.) We have optional dues (which the company matches) but anyone that shows up to our weekly game nights can play, no questions ask.

Other groups are e-mail invite lists that a host sends out for game days at their house. Another one is a facebook group that has had game days at a college conference room and a FLGS.

None of these groups have a definite boundary on who is a member. There is a continuum from organizer(s) through regular attendees, through occasional attendees, to people who think they might attend someday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune, we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

But all the decision of that officer must be approved at a bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Organized" would be a gross overstatement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
6 in a row! NFC North Champions!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune, we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

But all the decision of that officer must be approved at a bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs.

That right there is funny!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you identify the people that you game with as an organized "gaming group"?

No, since they're friends and family, I typically identify them (and vice versa) by any number of terms that are unprintable and unrepeatable in polite company... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since my preference is mostly to 2-player games, no.
I have a gaming partner - a friend where that friendship is based on our appreciation of playing games.
I have other friends (friendships that aren't based on gaming) I play with from time to time.

I play in larger groups when either of the above hosts a party (or when I do).

I've also been to a couple of gaming groups and larger events, and the divergence in gaming tastes was too great to make a habit of it.

Those dynamics are all subject to change in a couple of months, when I'll be moving to a different city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:

Be quiet! I ORDER you to be quiet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's no longer a regular group, but the circle of gamers I game with for the last 15 years here in Austin I consider my "group"....My peoples....Meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For years we have played 1-2 times a week so yes game group check.

Tonight will be the first night we are actually scheduling games ahead of time.

We are taking turns picking the first game of the night.
Respectfully playing what others pick with happiness (hopefully.)

White board with future games.

We can get rules out in advance so learning time should be faster and better.

Now we are organized.

Hopefully less down time trying to come to a consensus what to play.

Each person gets to play their games in a more predictable regular pattern.

Today yes I am part of an organized game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CannonWolf wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

Order eh who does he think he is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
CannonWolf wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

No kidding. I didn't vote for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cannon Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saturnkk wrote:
Dostradamas wrote:
CannonWolf wrote:
saturnkk wrote:

No kidding. I didn't vote for him.

You don't vote for Kings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is made up of a core group of 4 (5 if you include the one guys little boy who gladly spends all night playing minecraft) and a group of another 5 or so who intermittently join us.

We only play once a month-ish but we do consider it our game-group, and we are mostly organized, sort of, loosely,...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.