Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
My wife and I are muddling our way through the first real scenario (6 turns, Lyran/Klingon vs. Kzinti/Hydran, the scenario name escapes me) and screwing up rules in every direction.

We're just now getting to the point where we need to figure out planetary operations, and the rules for production and deployment of PDUs are... a bit opaque, to say the least.

I gather that there are ways to produce PDUs at your capital and transport them via tug, and there also seem to be ways to produce them on site, provided that a PDU already exists on the target planet.

For whatever reason I just can't seem to wrap my head around the way this all works from the rules-as-written. Would one of the local experts be kind enough to summarize this for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The simplest way to add a PDU to a planet is to do it in your own capital (i.e., add it to one of the planets in your capital hex), see (433.421). You pay 5 EPs for the PDU, and 0.5 per fighter factor (432.23), which is almost always 6, for 3 EPs (and a total of 8 EPs). The PDU comes on line instantly.

You do the same exact thing on a non-capital planet, but it requires a tug to be present to do so, and it will be unable to move during the following movement phase. (433.422)

If there are no PDUs from the same empire already operational on the planet, then you must use a tug (even in the capital), to move a 'pre-built' PDU to the planet, and it will take a full Game Turn to become operational. (508.32) These PDUs are built and 'stored' in the capital until moved by a tug for a cost of 4 EPs plus fighters. (508.31)

In all cases you can only add up to four PDUs to a planet in one turn (433.424).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a cost wrong above, building PDUs at the shipyards costs a total of 7 not 8 EPs.

There are three ways to make new PDUs.

1) Build them in the capital/shipyard location. This costs 4 EPs (plus 3 EPs for the fighter squadron) for a total of 7 EPs. This is rule (508.3). These can be stored indefinitely and then moved by a tug and set up on any planet you control (friendly or captured). If the planet has a PDU already, this new PDU sets up instantly (I believe this is the only method that gives you the instant set-up option). If it is the first PDU on the planet, it takes a turn to set up (like a mobile base). Also, if you set one of these up at a planet in the capital, no tug is required. You can set up as many as 4 PDUs per planet by this method, assuming you have enough tugs when needed.

2) Under (433.421) a friendly (thus cannot be used on a captured planet) planet that already has at least one PDU can simply build another. This costs 5 EPs, (plus 3 EPs for the fighters). No tug is required, but it takes a turn to finish. (The rule doesn't actually say this takes a turn, but it does say if the planet is devastated the PDU is canceled before it is completed, implying it must take at least a turn to complete) No more than one PDU per turn per planet by this method. This is just like the capital/shipyard building PDUs, but without the shipyard facilities it is more expensive, takes a turn to finish, and can only build one PDU per turn.

3) Under (433.422) Any planet with a PDU and a tug present can upgrade the defenses (effectively adding a new PDU). This takes a turn to complete. This costs 7 EPs (plus 3 EPs for the fighters) for a total of 10 EPs. You can add up to 4 PDUs per turn by this method, but each requires a tug present. This is the only way for a captured planet to add PDUs without a tug bringing in the prefab PDUs previously built under option one above.

You can never add more than 4 PDUs per planet per turn, by all methods combined.

I have never used method 3. I have occasionally used method 2, which is a good one for the Federation as they sometimes are trying to find things to spend their early money on, need more defenses, and have many planets to upgrade (many of which can't be attacked right away giving time to finish the PDUs). Method 1 is the most common, as people like the Kzinti and Hydrans need many more PDUs in their capitals before the Coalition comes knocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickgb wrote:
I think you have a cost wrong above, building PDUs at the shipyards costs a total of 7 not 8 EPs.

That is correct, and mentioned in my third paragraph. The first two are about the more expensive upgrade method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
OK, thanks a bunch. I think that between these posts and another perusal of the rulebook tonight I'll have this down.

Just in time to lose my first planet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick has the process solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Witmer wrote:
My wife and I are muddling our way through the first real scenario...

Wait! Your wife plays this with you??? I am so envious...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
grinnell1969 wrote:
Ryan Witmer wrote:
My wife and I are muddling our way through the first real scenario...

Wait! Your wife plays this with you??? I am so envious...

Not just this, but also World in Flames, Up Front, we just finished Fatal Alliances III, we're breaking in Labyrinth 2, and sometimes... every so often... Strat-O-Matic Hockey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.