Subject: Spoil symbols - Looking at your discard pile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Renato Bardela
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

The game manual says that "You may always look at any cards in your own discard pile". By doing this you can count the "Spoils" symbol and spoil the push your luck aspect of the game.

I played Mystic Vale yesterday with my gaming group and we decided, as a house rule, that we couldn't look through the discard pile.

Do you think that's better playing the game looking or not looking what you have played?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think looking is better. Otherwise it becomes a memory exercise. Players who want to play it well will keep track of those symbols in their head or try to since only 20 cards will ever need to be monitored. I'd rather not lose a game of MV to someone because they have a better memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you see this in the rules? I'm not doubting you, just never noticed it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We not only allow counting the discard pile, we're totally cool with looking at the last card in your deck (if there is only one left) to skip having to count.

It doesn't ruin the push-your-luck element at all; it just tells you what the odds are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
We not only allow counting the discard pile, we're totally cool with looking at the last card in your deck (if there is only one left) to skip having to count.

It doesn't ruin the push-your-luck element at all; it just tells you what the odds are.

If all your spoils are in your discard pile, the odds are pretty good you won't draw a spoil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

If all your spoils are in your discard pile, the odds are pretty good you won't draw a spoil.

Yeah, but that's the case much less often than you'd like.

Hmm...I've only got 1 spoil left and 5 cards in my deck...odds are in my favor, right? But if I get that 1...ahhhh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renato Bardela
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
pekin2121 wrote:
Where did you see this in the rules? I'm not doubting you, just never noticed it before.

It's on page 15, under "Open and Hidden Information".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when I demo someone will ask what the makeup of the starting cards is and I point out that yes, this is a card-counter's dream game, but if that's all you're doing...are you really having fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lonadar wrote:
Usually when I demo someone will ask what the makeup of the starting cards is and I point out that yes, this is a card-counter's dream game, but if that's all you're doing...are you really having fun?

Yes, I am.

It's nice to look at your discards and see the odds. It's a nice feeling when you see all your Cursed Lands there and know you can push freely. And it's funny when you forget you added a Hawk and spoil anyway :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Elmore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
renbardela wrote:
The game manual says that "You may always look at any cards in your own discard pile". By doing this you can count the "Spoils" symbol and spoil the push your luck aspect of the game.

Yeah, I don't see how this spoils the push-your-luck aspect. You can know that you have six decays in your discard all you want, but you're still going to push your luck. Hell, you could have no decays left in your deck, and the push-your-luck aspect is still there, because then you have to ask yourself if you want to plant that last card, knowing full well that the odds are not in your favor after you shuffle the discard pile.

I also agree with allowing the discard counting, because it feels like this game is about deck building and resource management rather than memorization. And if that's in the rules, then that seems to confirm the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Yeah, but that's the case much less often than you'd like.

Hmm...I've only got 1 spoil left and 5 cards in my deck...odds are in my favor, right? But if I get that 1...ahhhh!

Umm...isn't that the point of "push your luck" mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.