Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that diagonal movement is not allowed when moving, but the area diagram on the Move card display shows options that only could be chosen if you moved diagonally.

This is a little confusing even when using the pictured examples (page 8).

I see knockback may force a player back diagonally due to a thrown object, but it doesn't provide a method of arriving at the spot during a move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathnkilgore wrote:
I see that diagonal movement is not allowed when moving, but the area diagram on the Move card display shows options that only could be chosen if you moved diagonally.

This is a little confusing even when using the pictured examples (page 8).

I see knockback may force a player back diagonally due to a thrown object, but it doesn't provide a method of arriving at the spot during a move.

On the MOVE card you're not moving diagonally. You're moving one step left/right and one step forwards (or vice versa). This is shown on page 8.

Another way to think of the MOVE card:
You can move two squares using MOVE, but can only move Orthoganally, can't move backwards, and at most one of those moves can be sideways.

I'm not sure that's simpler for you, but it results on the diagram. Basically you move to one of the green squares while tracing a path of orthogonally-connected squares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you had to be facing the direction you move. In old Swashbuckler you had to plan in advance to accomplish this.

Does this streamlining of the plodding old method have any more detailed information examples or is it just implied on the card?

Thank you, enjoying the game BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought that the examples at the bottom of page 8 explained how it works. If you need more info please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably most people will have no problem with the examples and the cards. I happen to be having a swashbuckler disconnect. I see you have given limited diagonal movement to the Buccaneer when he uses the Arrr! card.

Thanks for the reply. All better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.