Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than a couple vague comments, I haven't been able to locate any discussion about how intense the content of the game is, and whether it would be suitable for families or not. Reading the game descriptions, it seems that this game is more creepy and atmospheric than a true "horror" game. Would this be o.k. with pre-teens? If it's not overly intense (scare factor, not game intensity), my 12 yr. old daughter might enjoy playing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd play it with anyone 10+

but that's me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
It's likely to be fine for you. One way you can tell for sure is to download the free app and pretend to play it yourself to see what it is like. While you can't play the game completely without the physical components, you can "just pretend" your way through a scenario to see how it all feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
The combat and horror check descriptions can be very violent/bloody/gruesome in their descriptions. Personally, I would treat this as a heavy PG-13 movie from a parenting perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Isch
United States
chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just depends on the family and their standards. It is H.P. Lovecraft, if your a fan of his books and are okay with that then you will love this game like I do. If you have no idea what I am talking about. Then game has spells, monster and cultist twist in the stories. It can be intense somr times. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Delahunty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:
Other than a couple vague comments, I haven't been able to locate any discussion about how intense the content of the game is, and whether it would be suitable for families or not. Reading the game descriptions, it seems that this game is more creepy and atmospheric than a true "horror" game. Would this be o.k. with pre-teens? If it's not overly intense (scare factor, not game intensity), my 12 yr. old daughter might enjoy playing this.

This is the creepiest mythos event I can think of off-hand...

Like running ink, your skin and flesh start to melt off ([strength]; 2).

Pass: The process can be slowly reversed, until it stops altogether.
Suffer 1 facedown Horror.

Fail: The muscle pulls back to reveal the white curve of bone.
Suffer 2 Damage, and each other investigator in range suffers 2 Horror
([will] negates).

HTH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with my 12 yr old daughter, and there's nothing overtly graphic in the game, you have to use your imagination for the most part. She's done well with it.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 and 12yo love it. There is far more graphic stuff on Tom and Jerry than this. If you control the app then you can put whatever kind of twist on the language used you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
Ran into a horror check where the witch held up a cat, then drew a blade across its neck, draining the blood into a chalice which she then drank from.

I'm paraphrasing and not doing it justice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were playing this with a kid I'd handle the app like a DM in an RPG and not read the more gruesome descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it is it is not suitable for children under 15 years due to graphic violence descriptions but, if you control the app you can make it what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mrblueesq wrote:

Honestly, I've seen far more gory/horrific images in PG-13 movies than in this game. If you'd be okay with your daughter watching a PG-13 movie, you're probably fine. There are some gory descriptions in the combat flavor text, but nothing you actually seen on-screen.

Overall the game is more atmospherically scary; the music, sound effects, and intensity of the situation are what creates the horror experience. I wouldn't call it inappropriate for a soon-to-be teenager.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like telling your 10-year-old to read Lovecraft (which I would probably not recommend) but it is immersive and it will give the kids a little scare. My 10 and 12-year-old had a lot of fun with it, but you could tell they got the creeps a couple times.

It really depends on your kids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Beesley
Ireland
flag msg tools
We have played both the 1st and 2nd edition in our family games night. As a family we really love the game.
I have five sons, four of which are old enough to play board games (the youngest only being two). Surprisingly i find that the younger ones, aged 7 and 11 get into the theme much more than the teenagers (14 and 17).

There is a horror element to the game but personally i don't find it too intense and the context of the game is such that it feels more fiction/fantasy than real life. It really does have that old fashioned lovelace-esque quality to it which puts it firmly back in the "olden days". I think that old fashioned feeling makes the difference in children's minds and kids aren't going to genuinely think an axe-wielding maniac is going to burst through the ceiling in the middle of the night.

I find that co-op games like Mansions of Madness, especially the second edition are a really fun way to encourage teamwork. Mansions of Madness really does punish the kids if they decide they know better than the rest of the team and go charging off into the mansion on their own. It only takes a few failures for them to realise that unless decisions are taken as a group then they will make the game much harder for everyone. We haven't even beaten the first scenario yet but the kids have really gotten into the spirit of analysing what went wrong and what they would do differently next time which, as a parent, i find really encouraging. Not only does it mean that the children really enjoy playing the game but that they are also willing to learn from their experience and are even more determined to return for another attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.