$60.00
$20.00
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say clinton gets elected and one of the conservative justices kicks off making the court solidly 4/3 liberal. And the start to rack up liberal rulings.

How could a majority republican senate handle that situation if then clinton only nominates strongly left wing justices?

Just occured to me while updating the polling numbers (which have a slight uptick for Clinton but show gop control of the senate is more likely).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Shut down the government. Permanently. And shit all over themselves. Possibly beat the crap out of Trump.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Say clinton gets elected and one of the conservative justices kicks off making the court solidly 4/3 liberal. And the start to rack up liberal rulings.

How could a majority republican senate handle that situation if then clinton only nominates strongly left wing justices?

Just occured to me while updating the polling numbers (which have a slight uptick for Clinton but show gop control of the senate is more likely).


If the Overton window shifts, so will they.

Just an analogue to what would happen if we had 7 conservative justices.

(Or, perhaps, it isn't.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Free gay cakes 4 everyone!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Shut down the government. Permanently. And shit all over themselves. Possibly beat the crap out of Trump.


They've already started the "Trump isn't conservative" propaganda. So they're already blaming Trump.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seize the opportunity? I lean hard liberal, but neither side of the equation is free from bad ideas, regardless of what my opinions on current balances are. It's more complicated by the current perspective of government as a prize to be won as opposed to a service that is given. More than liberal vs conservative is party-minded versus thoughtful. In my opinion, the supreme court has a generally good recent track record on the topic.

If it's a slant to party-mindedness than the Reps just need to cackle with glee and wait, the Dems will have found plenty of rope to hang themselves with. If it's thoughtful individuals, the road is harder. They'll face the moment they have been facing for a while. Come up with genuinely good ideas that win the populace, or go hard obstructionism married to tribalism.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Say clinton gets elected and one of the conservative justices kicks off making the court solidly 4/3 liberal. And the start to rack up liberal rulings.

How could a majority republican senate handle that situation if then clinton only nominates strongly left wing justices?

Just occured to me while updating the polling numbers (which have a slight uptick for Clinton but show gop control of the senate is more likely).


If the Overton window shifts, so will they.

Just an analogue to what would happen if we had 7 conservative justices.

(Or, perhaps, it isn't.)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

Quote:
The Overton window, also known as the window of discourse, is the range of ideas the public will accept. It is used by media pundits.[1][2] The term is derived from its originator, Joseph P. Overton (1960–2003),[3] a former vice president of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy,[4] who in his description of his window claimed that an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within the window, rather than on politicians' individual preferences.[5] According to Overton's description, his window includes a range of policies considered politically acceptable in the current climate of public opinion, which a politician can recommend without being considered too extreme to gain or keep public office.


Also Thomas had considered retirement earlier this year but I doubt he would retire under such circumstances.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Continue to disparage the SC and other federal courts as institutions and politicise their decisions. Try to impede their performance by freezing judicial nominations. Campaign and fund raise off "the courts have gone crazy". Encourage fringe arguments re nullification etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Terwox wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Say clinton gets elected and one of the conservative justices kicks off making the court solidly 4/3 liberal. And the start to rack up liberal rulings.

How could a majority republican senate handle that situation if then clinton only nominates strongly left wing justices?

Just occured to me while updating the polling numbers (which have a slight uptick for Clinton but show gop control of the senate is more likely).


If the Overton window shifts, so will they.

Just an analogue to what would happen if we had 7 conservative justices.

(Or, perhaps, it isn't.)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

Quote:
The Overton window, also known as the window of discourse, is the range of ideas the public will accept. It is used by media pundits.[1][2] The term is derived from its originator, Joseph P. Overton (1960–2003),[3] a former vice president of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy,[4] who in his description of his window claimed that an idea's political viability depends mainly on whether it falls within the window, rather than on politicians' individual preferences.[5] According to Overton's description, his window includes a range of policies considered politically acceptable in the current climate of public opinion, which a politician can recommend without being considered too extreme to gain or keep public office.


Also Thomas had considered retirement earlier this year but I doubt he would retire under such circumstances.


To explicitly rephrase:

If the supreme course shifts what the range of acceptable ideas are, the political parties will also shift their political platforms to create a (in my opinion false) dichotomy between themselves that still falls within what the supreme court has said is acceptable.

E.g., after awhile, we'll stop hearing "bring back traditional marriage!" because public opinion will follow the law as established. (Conversely, we might stop hearing "bring back gay marriage!" if there's a conservative set of judges who overturn the ruling; but that's a bit different.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
I'm assuming they would try not to pass any overreaching laws that might end up at the desks of the SCOTUS where certain other ambiguous laws and rulings might not go in their favor.

Hunkerdown, do nothing, switch the moaning and groaning from Obama to Clinton, foster the derangement syndrome, hope for a favorable 2020.

So essentially, what they have been doing for the last 8 years.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
Free gay cakes 4 everyone!


The cakes a lie!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Partisan rancor was worse during the pre-Civil War era, when Senator Brooks beat Senator Sumner over the head with a stick on the senate floor. We have not yet gotten to that point.

However, the current political environment is very, very, toxic. A mainstream Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, is taking a completely unreasonable course of action by refusing to even meet with Merrick Garland. Fair competition for votes is a healthy part of democracy. Obstructing the basic process of government is not.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.