Subject: Sushi Go Party: Good things come in sushi-sized packages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sushi Go Party! is a remix of the original Sushi Go!, which is fun, fast-paced card-drafting game. Basically, each player starts the game with a hand, which they must pick one card from, and then pass the hand to the player on their left. Picked cards go face-up in front of you to form your draft, which will be scored at the end of the round for points. You keep passing hands until every card is on the table.

Gameplay & What's New
Now, Sushi Go was a great game, but with only eight different foods in the deck, you'd eventually play the same strategy every time. The Party! release shakes this up by included almost 30 different types of food that you can mix up in different 'recipes' to make every game play differently! The rulebook comes with eight premade recipes, but you can also be inventive and try your own!

Sushi Go Party expands the original game by adding several new types of food, which you will shuffle in depending on which 'menu' you pick before the game-- different menus feature different foods and are easier/more difficult to score. With enough practice, you could probably get pretty good at crafting your own menus to go in the game. Because there are different cards to include in different menus, you can tune the game to be cutthroat or forgiving, cooperative or competitive, high-scoring or low-scoring. It's exactly the sort of 'expansion' that Sushi Go! needed because the core mechanic stays exactly the same, but you have more options with all the new foods.

Dinner for Two

Big Banquet Recipe

Points Platter Recipe 

Impressions
The more we play Sushi Go Party the more I consider it my 'golden gateway' game. If there's someone over at my house who's never played a game in their life, I'd pull out Sushi Go. Though the finer points of strategy may take a little while to figure out, the core mechanic of the game couldn't be simpler: view your hand, pick a card, and play it in front of you. But the way all the different foods interact gives you some crunchy choices to make even within such simple gameplay.

I also love this game because it introduces the idea of player interaction in such an elegant way. Sure, classic games like Monopoly and Sorry! and Trouble might include screw-your-neighbor tactics, but they're either completely random, or annoying and over-powered against your opponent. In SushiGo, you're not trying to screw your neighbor over so much as you're paying attention to his strategy, trying to deny him the cards he needs, and adapt to the cards you're receiving, all at the same time. I have yet to find a game that gives so much tactical depth in such a small rules package and short gameplay.

Downsides
One downside of all the flexibility is that you'll be sorting and separating the different card types -- a lot. We've kind of found one of our favorite menus and we keep all those cards together in a deck -- when we want to add something new we just pull out whatever is coming out, and add in the new. This ends up being simpler than trying to assemble/disassemble a recipe at the beginning and end of every time you play.

Sushi Go Party! continues the same adorable art that the original featured: picture a ton of cute smiley faces all over maki rolls, tempura, and Japanese pudding. The cards are just fun, they're colored according to their type, making them very easy to distinguish from one another.

The new edition has also added a central board, which is equal parts helpful and unnecessary. The scoring track around the edge is nice but can get unwieldy at 8 players, and the recipe cards are very helpful. Every food has a thick reference card that slots into the middle gameboard -- so just take the 8 reference cards of the foods you're playing with, and you instantly have a scoring guide that everyone can see. Sure, the scoring is still written on every card, but it's a helpful addition, especially when there are new foods to learn.

A lot of players have compared Sushi Go to 7 Wonders -- I've never tried 7 Wonders myself (and need to), but apparently the card-drafting mechanism is very similar. If 7 Wonders isn't your jam (ancient world/Roman theme), maybe give Sushi Go and cute Japanese food a try!

Gameplay
.. Abstract -♦--------- Thematic
....... Luck ------♦---- Skill
.... Simple ---♦------- Complex
. Strategic ----------♦ Tactical
... Friendly --♦-------- Cutthroat

Other
Graphic Design/Components: 5/5
Insert: 2/5 (very fiddly to separate all the cards back out into their slots)
Rules Clarity: 5/5

Overall: 4/5

tl;dr: Sushi Go Party! is a phenomenal gateway game that offers a great, interactive puzzle for players of all skill levels. Relative to its price, complexity, and length, Sushi Go Party offers a lot of fun in a small package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sushi Go Party: extra sushi, extra party!
Nice review! I am not a 7 Wonders fan and I prefer Sushi Go party for a pick and pass drafting game. However, 7 Wonders is not a generic fantasy theme. It's an ancient world/Roman theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Nice review! I am not a 7 Wonders fan and I prefer Sushi Go party for a pick and pass drafting game. However, 7 Wonders is not a generic fantasy theme. It's an ancient world/Roman theme.

Ah, I must've gotten mixed up with something else. Edited to fix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The backs look to be the same as the backs from the Original Sushi Go US version, but I have heard reports that the Soy Sauce promo were a slightly different red.
Do these backs match the original US Sushi Go? I would like to use the Soy Sauce cards from Sushi Go Party with the original Sushi Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I no longer have the base Sushi Go game to compare, but the games seem identical to me. However, you can just buy Sushi Go party and all the components of Sushi Go are included -- so you could just take those out altogether and put them in the smaller box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.