$30.00
Eric
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the title. If My team is surfaced, repairing our sub, and the other team announces "Stop!" Can we continue to repair or do we have to wait for them to resolve the action first before we can continue to repair?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good question...

In my opinion, I think we should continue repairing our ship.
They shout out "STOP!" only when we are moving and needs to be stopped at a exact spot for them to use any systems. But if we're repairing, we just stay at one spot and won't be able to move, then I think we can keep repairing and just answer whatever other team asked.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say the opposite. The rules don't say to do anything differently when the other team is surfacing. Also when "STOP" is announced, the other team needs to be able to respond to the activation, not continue repairing while saying, "we'll tell you if you hit us in just a moment...."

So I would say yes the surfacing team should stop what they are doing until play resumes. Much of the penalty of surfacing would be lost otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Matt
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi George, I don't think there is any conflict between repairing your ship and answering questions. You can answer the other team's question while keep drawing the line, of cause, I don't think you can say "we'll tell you if you hit us in just a moment", I think they should answer it ASAP and with no hesitate. But anyways, drawing a line and answering seemed not conflict, since your ship won't move during the repair.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repairing does not remove damage or otherwise affect any outcome of any STOP action. Repairs should be completed independently of any STOP action.

STOP makes sure that you do not initiate any new actions that alter the relevant game states for that action such as position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan T
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We´ve played that you stop repairing. Stop to me is a Stop on the games real-time funcion to resolve stuff. It doesn´t make sense to continue repairing if a stop is called.

Maybe the rules sais something else, I haven´t checked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group made a decision that a STOP means exactly that for both groups. Until the system has completed resolving no further line may be drawn. I feel this is the best solution but if your group feels otherwise then as long as both subs are following the same rules no harm or foul.

Cheers,
Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot continue repairing your sub. This is clearly stated in the rules, under 'Activating systems' (pg. 6 of the English rulebook):

Quote:
2 •  Announce “STOP” and raise a fist. All other players stop what they are doing and listen.

The French rulebook is even clearer:

Quote:
2 • Crier « STOP ! » en levant le poing (tous les autres joueurs, des 2 équipages, DOIVENT lever leur feutre et écouter).

If your French is rusty or you don't have Google Translate handy, "DOIVENT lever leur feutre" means "MUST raise their marker".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.