BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: What has Obama done to... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Improve the lives of blacks in the United States?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given them hope that they to can one day reach the highest office in the land.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I am not quite sure I understand people who think that the President is going to change anything in this country. Meaningful legislation that might do that would come from Congress, it is not the President's duty to or responsibilty necessarily to do what you ask of him, and I don't just say that because you put Obama as the subject of the post. It stands for any President. They have the ultimate power of accepting or vetoing legislation sent to them that might attack this issue, but that is about as far as his power stretches here. People need to stop blaming one man for the woes of this country. Better the question be "What has Congress failed to do that would improve their lot?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

I am not quite sure I understand people who think that the President is going to change anything in this country. Meaningful legislation that might do that would come from Congress, it is not the President's duty to or responsibilty necessarily to do what you ask of him, and I don't just say that because you put Obama as the subject of the post. It stands for any President. They have the ultimate power of accepting or vetoing legislation sent to them that might attack this issue, but that is about as far as his power stretches here. People need to stop blaming one man for the woes of this country. Better the question be "What has Congress failed to do that would improve their lot?"

So the first black man to be president that ran on hope and change gets in there, and accomplishes nothing meaningful for blacks and in the end the answer to why is really, well, what could he have REALLY done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Successfully fended off large cuts in public spending which would have disproportionately impacted on low income groups like poor African Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

So the first black man to be president that ran on hope and change gets in there, and accomplishes nothing meaningful for blacks and in the end the answer to why is really, well, what could he have REALLY done?

Yes, now you understand his limited role in being a real agent for change. Few presidents have ever been real agents of change, they REACT to what is thrown to them, from Congress. What don't you understand about the fact that he does not ORIGINATE legislation that would improve their lot, that is the job of CONGRESS. He may SUGGEST legislation or programs, but CONGRESS is under no obligation to heed his advice. If the black mans lot has not improved, that is indeed sad, but it has very little to do with who sits as President, or in your case Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmbmb
2.3 Million uninsured African Americans gained health insurance through ACA lowering the uninsured rate among African Americans by 6.8 percentage points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
This is one of those makes-you-laugh questions, because the minute Obama says he's going to do anything for black Americans, the Fox News brigade will immediately hyperventilate amid cries of "OMG he's so RACIST!! WhY dOeS hE hAtE wHiTe PeOpLe?!?!?!?" and "THIS IS OBAMA'S PROGRESSIVE AGENDA!" so spare us the crocodile tears over Obama's treatment of black America.

And even though Dashi is an RSP troll who doesn't really want any of his questions actually answered, what the hell, I'll bite:

1) The black unemployment rate is down, from 12.7% during The Great Recession to 8.1% today.

2) The high-school graduation rate of black Americans has improved, from 67% to 70.7% from 2010 to 2013. And overall the national high school graduation rate hit an all time high in 2013 of 81.4 percent.

3) The rate of uninsured Americans is down significantly since the Affordable Care Act was passed, and could be even lower if states expand Medicaid programs.

4) President Obama signed the Fair Sentencing Act in 2010 which narrowed the penalty between crack and powder cocaine (the difference between a "black person's drug" and a "white person's drug") from 1:100 to 1:18

And the My Brother's Keeper program:
Quote:
In February 2014, President Obama introduced My Brother's Keeper, to specifically focus on improving the lives of young African American males. The initiative is encouraging nonprofits to raise $200 million in five years for programs focused on young men of color. Though My Brother's Keeper is not a federally funded government program, no such effort has existed before under any American President. President Obama is said to be planning to make My Brother's Keeper a major part of leaves office.

So if you really care (which you don't) feel free to check it out:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/my-brothers-keeper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
TheDashi wrote:
cool "Inspired", for starters, JUST as them 'Bush-league' "inspired" you-all "Village Idjits"!
~""FAIR Dinkum!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
cool "Inspired", for starters, JUST as them 'Bush-league' "inspired" you-all "Village Idjits"!
~""FAIR Dinkum!"

laughlaughlaugh

Post of the day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
This is one of those makes-you-laugh questions, because the minute Obama says he's going to do anything for black Americans, the Fox News brigade will immediately hyperventilate amid cries of "OMG he's so RACIST!! WhY dOeS hE hAtE wHiTe PeOpLe?!?!?!?" and "THIS IS OBAMA'S PROGRESSIVE AGENDA!" so spare us the crocodile tears over Obama's treatment of black America.

And even though Dashi is an RSP troll who doesn't really want any of his questions actually answered, what the hell, I'll bite:

1) The black unemployment rate is down, from 12.7% during The Great Recession to 8.1% today.

2) The high-school graduation rate of black Americans has improved, from 67% to 70.7% from 2010 to 2013. And overall the national high school graduation rate hit an all time high in 2013 of 81.4 percent.

3) The rate of uninsured Americans is down significantly since the Affordable Care Act was passed, and could be even lower if states expand Medicaid programs.

4) President Obama signed the Fair Sentencing Act in 2010 which narrowed the penalty between crack and powder cocaine (the difference between a "black person's drug" and a "white person's drug") from 1:100 to 1:18

And the My Brother's Keeper program:
Quote:
In February 2014, President Obama introduced My Brother's Keeper, to specifically focus on improving the lives of young African American males. The initiative is encouraging nonprofits to raise $200 million in five years for programs focused on young men of color. Though My Brother's Keeper is not a federally funded government program, no such effort has existed before under any American President. President Obama is said to be planning to make My Brother's Keeper a major part of leaves office.

So if you really care (which you don't) feel free to check it out:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/my-brothers-keeper

I agree that good has been done under his watch, but seeing "My Brother's Keeper" logo next to President Obama makes me laugh very very hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
slatersteven wrote:
wow ~"VOTE!": Jill Stein & Michelle Obama! "writ it LOUD & PROUD!" /kiss\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, wait a minute.

I'm not an answer to your prayers.

I'm not a savior or Jesus Christ, Martin Luther King, or the Easter bunny.

I'm a football coach, that's all.

Just a football coach.

--Remember the Titans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Quote:

So he has enabled blacks who previously could not feed their children to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
slatersteven wrote:

BE Jesus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'd suspect without looking at the stats that food stamps use has declined since 2012. Multiply that suspicion by 3 x given Fox Business / National Review didn't set that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
I'd suspect without looking at the stats that food stamps use has declined since 2012. Multiply that suspicion by 3 x given Fox Business / National Review didn't set that out.

Maybe you should look then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
TheDashi wrote:
myopia wrote:

Nah. Don't care enough to fini

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
myopia wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
myopia wrote:

Waaahhhh,,, I dont want to make my god look bad by finding out what is really going on.... WAWAAAHHHHHH WWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
myopia wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
myopia wrote:

Waaahhhh,,, I dont want to make my god look bad by finding out what is really going on.... WAWAAAHHHHHH WWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It's gone down but not nearly so much as it rose. So a modest decrease from 2012-2016.

So what?

-Obama received the Presidency in economic crisis (there's your cue to cry "Oh now you are saying it's all Bush's fault")
-The rules for food stamps changed, greatly expanding access. This effect likely eclipsed economic factors, though they are interconnected, and there is no guarantee of accurate measurements, just well considered estimates
-I'm not sure why I would imagine a tremendous economic crisis could be resolved in the time frame of Obama's presidency. It's peak was arguably 2009? The extent of the crisis is revealed in the duration of its aftereffects
-What in particular has the opposition done in this time to alleviate reliance on food stamps? As of 2015, 6 of the 7 highest food stamp states (including DC) were red states, also including Oregon. If this state of affairs lies at Obama's feet, surely the state's with governments dominated by Republicans should enact policies that would greatly diminish food stamp reliance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
-Obama received the Presidency in economic crisis (there's your cue to cry "Oh now you are saying it's all Bush's fault")
-The rules for food stamps changed, greatly expanding access. This effect likely eclipsed economic factors, though they are interconnected, and there is no guarantee of accurate measurements, just well considered estimates
-I'm not sure why I would imagine a tremendous economic crisis could be resolved in the time frame of Obama's presidency. It's peak was arguably 2009? The extent of the crisis is revealed in the duration of its aftereffects
-What in particular has the opposition done in this time to alleviate reliance on food stamps? As of 2015, 6 of the 7 highest food stamp states (including DC) were red states, also including Oregon. If this state of affairs lies at Obama's feet, surely the state's with governments dominated by Republicans should enact policies that would greatly diminish food stamp reliance?

I would say Obama received the Presidency as the crisis was unfolding, so the delay in people realizing the situation, deciding to take SNAP, and time to actually start the program would be issues.

"The 2008 farm bill renamed the Food Stamp Program as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (beginning October 2008)..." and this was generally the time of the conversion to debit cards instead of the stigmatizing food stamps. So, use of the program was easier for people and businesses, e.g.:

"Costco began accepting food stamps at all of its locations nationwide as of October 2009."

"SNAP benefits temporarily increased with the passage of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), a federal stimulus package to help Americans affected by the Great Recession." That would draw more people into the program.
__

So basically, they're cherry picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Helped shape a course in which the economy improved from the tailspin it was in when he was elected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Knewt wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

BE Jesus?
That is not an office, that is a made up name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
For BJ.....
mb

So....

Aside from health care, social justice, lowering unemployment, fighting against police malfeasance.....

What has Obama done for African Americans???

Don't forget the Aquaduct!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.