Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MMP just put Red Factories, a combination of Red Barricades and a new HASL, Red October, up for pre-order.

How are the scenarios in Red Barricades? Are they all huge and take a long time to play? Can any be played in an evening or at least a long afternoon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall I don't think RB is exactly newbie material, but there are a few small scenarios too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
WHAT DO WE WANT?
badge
When do we want it"
mbmbmb
What J.P. said, but get it anyway. Red Barricades is the best HASL in my opinion and it can only be made better by adding Red October. When you feel you are ready it will be there for you, if you wait it could be out of print and double the price (or more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Ashburnham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buy 2 copies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I remember rightly, it has a few scenarios that are short enough. I know The Last Bid is a monster, and the first scenario was not short.

Scenario Archive guesstimates about 4 of them possible playable in an evening or afternoon. Of course, CG 1 will never be the 1 hour it says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark

Coralville
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
If you are moderately interested in ASL and plan to continue to be, I would get. Not for beginners though, but once you have familiarity with the system, you will be ok. I have Red Barricades but pre-ordered Red Factories anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I know. It's an Awesome Avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the ASL collection that I have been acquiring over the past 6 months, one would think I'm anything but a NOOB. Sadly, I'm not even a NOOBcry I have read the SK1 Rulebook twice and clipped the counters of SK1.

That's as far as I have gotgulp

I'll still be getting Red Factories. As mentioned earlier, it will be there when I'm ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lunney
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
It's best to get it now than to pay triple sometime later.

MMP don't have a history of reprinting HASLs, so get it while you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
With the ASL collection that I have been acquiring over the past 6 months, one would think I'm anything but a NOOB. Sadly, I'm not even a NOOBcry I have read the SK1 Rulebook twice and clipped the counters of SK1.

That's as far as I have gotgulp

I'll still be getting Red Factories. As mentioned earlier, it will be there when I'm ready.
Try to find an experienced opponent, either for FtF or on VASL.
Many players will readily help you learn the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All HASL's have some number of module-wide SSR's apart from the scenario-specific ones, so even shorter HASL scenarios are generally more complex and demanding than the usual short scenario fare. You'll also need more table space for the big map and need to mark off the playable area. So I wouldn't call them newbie friendly. But don't let that put you off of buying the set. Official HASL's tend to be very well researched and designed, well-worth the effort of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the responses. I've pre-ordered Red Factories and hope to play some of the scenarios next year. I think the campaign games will have to wait for retirement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.